Spectrum dx61 battery issue

Craig Spence

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me (with pictures if pos lol!) how to change my loose battery set up to a battery pack set up.

It looks like I would have to remove the clips but im not greatly fond of doing that, it seems a bit brutal, also what battery pack would be the best to install. I know it would have to be a 4 cell flat pack but thats it, can you use li-po, would it be better?.

Thanks all.

Craig,

I have thought of doing the same at some stage myself, i havent any pics that will help at the minute but when i come up with some thing i will post them on for you. When you say remove the clips what do you mean? If you are refering to the two battery connection strips inside the bat cover then yes these have to come out so a pack can fit in.

So what you would need to do is take out the exsiting batterys then unscrew the transmitter case shows you how in the instructions if your not sure. Disconnect the red and black wires from the contact strips the strips now need to come out. Once they have been removed you will need a FEMALE plug for the battery pack to plug into (if you have a spare switch harness you can use the one off that) and connect that to the wires observing polarity of course. You can now put it back together poke the new plug through into the battery bay. connect your new pack and off you go.

In terms of pacck selection thats really up to you and depends how much you want to spend would suggest some thing around 2000 mah to give decent duration between charges remember the only real benifits of doing this job as i see it is charging and changing the bats is easier and it is slightly better asd theres less conection points for there to be any problems with.

Now lipo, you need a 2s pack and a 6v regulator. Its a nice idea but given the size of the batt bay without major modification it just wont fit and thats just the bat you would have to house the regulator internally as well!!!!

Hi

With all due respect it seems an awfull lot of messing about to change something that does not need fixing. The Tx is stated to be very low on consumption so why not change the dry batteries when the information on the screen says they are low. The set is cheap and surly this is one of the reasons. I have been using the set for 6 months now and am on me 3rd set of batteries. They do not cost the earth so why the change.. Dont mend something that is not broken has always been my motto. have you never forgotten to charge up Tx I have and you do feel a fool when model binbags

Garry

Craig,

Your spot on with that but like you say it is how the set is designed so the BMFA would be unfair in my opinion to say the set couldn't be used. And i think the issue with dry cells is more orientated towars flight packs for rx and alike. Its also an issue that with the dry cells if you think about it theres 8 contact points for 4 batterys thats 8 possible problems as opposed to 1 if fitted with a pack. Its down to personal choice personally at the min im leaving as is after the warranty has run out then i will go to packs as it might sound alot but is very simple to do and its takes any chance of mixing charged not charged dry cells together. But as i say thats just my opinion you must do as you feel

All the best

Alex

Well, I bought four niMh from Lidl for diddley squat, modified an old charger from the shed to get the polarity right, and have a perfectly serviceable rechargeable Tx. And a pack of 4 AA drycells in my flight bag should I find myself at the field without enough charge.

Why modify it?