Bowman Models Sunduster

Tom Thomas

Posted by Tom Thomas 2 on 10/09/2017 02:58:49:

I need some help please blush

I've built many models but the tips of the wings have always been a sanded to shape block.

the plans here ask for 1/4 inch sheet.

Now in the pics below you'll see that the ribs have quite an under camber, I'm confused at the 1/4 inch sheet? If that's the width of the tip then how thick is the sheet? It can't mean 1/4 inch thick sheet!

And how do I apply this tip? If it's indeed sheet do I bend it to follow the camber of the rib? Do put it at the top of the rib and follow the contour? In the centre and follow the contour?

Or find a 1/4 inch square piece and sand it to the shape?

I've built lots of models but this has me stumped, have a look at the pics and please explain the simple obvious that I just can't see! cheeky

By the way, are those digital caliper things easy to read? Because I'm going to get one, I'm fed up with being unsure of the gauge of balsa I'm using on models with vague instructions.

That's wider than a quarter isn't it?image.jpeg

Below is the camber

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited By Tom Thomas 2 on 10/09/2017 03:00:38

Yes it is. 2 1/8 ths equals a quarter.Simple fractions.

Better late than never onetenor! cheeky

I left school at 14, my grasp of anything other than simple maths is shameful blush

This is why I asked about it, I'm only just getting to grips with mm's, I know it's simple, but I've always been set in my ways with inches which I would count as maybe 1 inch and say 4 lines..... Sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm trying.

laugh

Hi Tom

The build is certainly coming alone nicely! Looking good👍🏻

On under cambered wing and film covering I find that applying some Solarfilm Balsaloc to the ribs and tacking the film on carefully does work well with a bit of practice, I found too much heat it would cause some issues but just on the shrinking heat was fine.

You've done a good job there, Tom. And as well as looking attractive the colour combo should stand out in the air thumbs up

I've covered a few models with undercambered wings using Solarfilm & Solartex but never bother with balsaloc or any extra adhesive of any sort. IMO it would just be adding another layer of adhesive to what's on the film/tex. The strength of adhesion will only be as good as whichever adhesive is the weakest.

I always start on the wing underside, tacking the film down on the LE, TE & spar at a heat setting just a little above the minimum needed to activate the adhesive, then repeat on the ribs. The heats then turned down to minimum required to shrink the film. Same procedure for the top surface.

BTW it's important that there's a hole in every rib also one to the atmosphere so that the covering doesn't balloon up with any increase in air pressure within the wing due to changing temperatures - not only when heat shrinking the film but also in normal use.

Following this build with great pleasure. Had a Sunduster way back when it cost only a tenner!

Fitted it with a paw 1cc. Run for 4 and a half minutes on the regulation 7(or was it 10) cc.

Held the club record of 45 minutes for about 10 minutes when my mate who was in the same thermal overtook me. He only came down after over an hour when his transmitter was running low on power.

A great floater and would stay up on the lightest breeze. Fond memories. Having similar fun nowadays with a Gentle Lady.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Many thanks for the kind words gents smiley

Robin, I hope mine stays up like that! I also have a gentle lady, first had one when I was about 17, flew great, the one I have now needs weight adjustment and I forgot to put the washout in the tips blush

But a classic defiantly!

Hi Alan, I hope to fly it soon, I'm not sure if I am going to leccy her up now, she feels so light that I'm leaning to the pure glider assembly.

We occasionally have full size over our fields, mesmerising aren't they!

Well, wings covered and fues also, I'm going to put some red trim on the wings and epoxy the tail in place next.

I had conformation from Herms that my Wildthing is on its way so I hope not to get sidetracked! cheeky

image.jpegimage.jpeg

My Gentle Lady,

image.jpeg

I think I went way over the top with the scheme...... Pricilla Queen Of The Desert springs to mind! cheeky

Posted by Tom Thomas on 27/09/2017 00:04:57:

Going to try to make a nose for it tonight, I'm not leccying it up, want to keep it as light as possible.

Fair enough Tom but how much nose weight will be required to get it to balance? With a motor hanging on the front and a small LiPo (93g) and ESC wedged against the back of the nose block you might find that the increase in wing loading is minimal. I prefer the convenience of a self launching motor glider but if you are a purist then a motor would be heresy! Each to their own.

Nose job looks good though. yes