Motor squealing at full power

I also think it is a ESC issue, with respect to the timing. I have experienced the same, in the days when you had to select the appropriate timing. From Memory, it was Timbo who guided me to go for either higher, or may be lower timing.

These days, all the ESCs I have recently purchased have had automatic timing selection.

Thanks for all your replies,I don't know anything about ESC timing so first thing I will do is google it as Dennis said,the ESC is not a very good one it came with a plane I bought,should have the instructions still in workshop.

I have a few spare ones so might just swap it over,would be nice to reset the timing though.thats if its not incompatible with the motor.

Which HK ESC is that? I use the Blue Series,

Plush & Turnigy AE types. To make my life easier i have the Programming cards. From Memory I have all of my ESCs set to automatic.

It is a pity Timbo is not about, as he certainly knows about timing. I think the argument goes, that Outrunners have a lot of poles, although the KV is generally much lower than Inrunners, which suggests that a higher timing rate is required. Inrunners are two pole, although generally much higher Kv, that a lower Kv works better. The problem is that Timbo knows, I am using my limited knowledge.

I do hope that someone who knows will come along and provide a better answer.

Without a definitive answer, just trying alternative timing, will eventually get you there, it is a matter of time and perseverance.

Just an off chance but I had a motor that did this. The cure was a drop of 3 in 1 oil applied to the shaft. Another with bearings did the same but in this case the bearings were dry and at speed the outer race spun in the casing.The cure was to soak the bearing In liqui- Grease ( a liquid / solvent plus grease for bicycles ) after warming it a little first it was left soaking overnight. By this time the solvent had evaporated leaving a solid form of grease. The bearing outer was wiped off with Amyl Acetate then rubbed over with wet and dry paper to provide a key .Loctite stud and bearing fit was applied and the bearing reassembled to the casing. These things I had to hand but the grease could be done using petrol or some other solvent and grease and Loctite can be subbed by super glue or similar. A bit of a faff but it worked and saved me a couple of quid.Remember if anything squeals, squeaks , buzzes even: try lubrication first.

• 2 weeks later...