Mark's TN Hawk Build

Mark Elen

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your kind comments. Off topic is no problem at all, if it helps someone else in the future that is what these forums are all about. 👍 It's always good to see how others have attacked similar issues, I always pick up loads of good tips from other people's build logs.

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 15/05/2018 23:07:06:

Same as I have but with the HK failover switch of which I use several already

Martin, your pointer to the HK failover switch was interesting, I hadn't spotted they did an own brand. PowerBox I know about, so I just went to look up the HK switch. The HK own-brand failover switch is (today) £13.42, but HK also stock the PowerBox (£58.78 from the international warehouse).

They look remarkably similar. The similarities don't end with just the looks though.... here's a quote from the PowerBox instructions:

"The total voltage loss in the PowerBox Sensor (de-coupling diodes and voltage regulators) is about 0.35 V, which is so low that the volume of waste heat is almost negligible. The specified maximum continuous current is 5.0 Amps, which means that it easily cope with 6 - 8 standard servos or 5 - 7 digital servos. However, the rated continuous current of 5.0 A does not reflect the capacity of the electronics; it is a function of the size of heat-sink employed. The electronic circuit is able to handle twice the specified power without problem. "

Here's a quote from the blurb for the Hobbyking own brand version:

"The total voltage loss in the HobbyKing Sensor is about .35v which is so low that the volume of waste heat is almost negligible. The maximum continuous current is 5A which means it can easily handle up to 8 servos. However the rated continuous current of 5A does not reflect the capacity of the electronics which can handle much more for short periods, depending on ambient air temperature."

Spot the difference... One of the things I do in my job is to review academic papers, and stuff like this jumps out. To me, these words are just a little too close for comfort.

Hi all,
I am quite a way on with my build. Working out the cockpit design and lighting arrangements. I purchased 1/7 scale muppets which do not give much space above the battery. 1/8 scale would have been better. I also asked Tony for a clear nose cone so the led would shine through it. I hope it will arrive in the near future. I am currently on holiday.

Edited By geoffrehy Frost on 16/05/2018 17:29:37

Hi All,

Some good discussion going on above. It would be great to see some photos of your build Geoffery and welcome to the forum👍

I have been flying this afternoon, had a great few hours practising spins with the Ballerina. No wind whatsoever at times and it could have done with flaps, once it got into ground effect, it just wanted to float and float.

Got home and made up the mounts for the elevator servos, these are 1/8 ply and they now need sinking into the rear fuselage to hold the servo mounts themselves.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I screwed them together and made them as one then separated when I was happy with them.

Cheers

Mark

Hi All,

Not got a lot done in the last few days, as I have been busy at work. I did get the fan formers fettled and the fan now slides in nicely.

image.jpeg

I had to take less than 1mm all around to get it to fit in.

I also had a major mishap whilst I was flying on Sunday. The foamie viper that I bought to get some EDF practice bit the dust. It flew a treat, but launching it was always been a bit 'hit and miss' on your own. Up until Sunday, I had always caught any wing drop on launch.

After seeing the review in this months RCM&E, I have ordered a Super Viper and intend to fit the flaps using the servos retrieved from the pile of bits I have, hopefully, this will give me the confidence to fly this when its finished.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Martin,

The short answer is....not very much. I took a bit of a break from the hobby. I’m just letting myself back into building slowly.

bench cleared, back on with the fuselage:

35decdf0-9ba3-4ba1-b158-5d1c4d4fc443.jpeg

While I’ve been away, the fin has warped, any tips for straightening it?

Cheers

Mark

Glad you started to get back to the building board, Mark.

No worries, I had the same with my Vicomte build. A lot of 'interferences' from real life made the build stall since the end of last year.

Allow me a remark regarding your Fred-B sauce. Looking at the brush 'strokes', it seems that your sauce wasn't 'diluted' enough. Also try to avoid those small 'lumps' as they will be a lot harder to sand than a flat surface.

Keep up the mojo, young man...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I had a feeling it was a bit ‘thick’. I’ll water it down some more and have another go.

One of the joys of this hobby is that you can leave it for a period of time and pick back up where you left off. I have always said that I’m more of a builder than a flier, the flying bit is a lot harder to have a break from.

Cheers

Mark

• 10 months later...
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 16/05/2018 21:25:51:

There is a very minor difference between the two switches but blowed if I can remember what it is. I think that the specs reveal it. I am told that the HK one is actually more reliable.

Personally, I have never heard of a Powerbox Sensor switch or Digi switch failing. I use both types of switch in most of my models these days as I've gone away from NimH.

Martin, I would be grateful if you could forward details of PB failures.

Unfortunately not. The patch and wind conditions have never been quite right. I was hoping to get a maiden from some tarmac but this did not happen either.

The other thing is that I did not cut a cheat hole in the underside of the fus, not realising its importance. The thrust without it is very poor and I doubt if it would even run on grass.

Plenty of time to catch up on these things now that the field is closed.

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately, not, it became a failed project. I really enjoyed the build to where I got, but I had a couple of 'flying incidents' with the EDFs that I was using as practice for once this was ready.

I got a bit disenchanted and decided, as I'm more a 'builder than a flier' that I would concentrate on things that I enjoy.

Good luck with your build, it would be good to see a blog. If you need a set of retracts, or decals, give me a shout. I have also got a couple of fans looking for a new home as well. It would be a shame to throw them out.

Cheers

Mark