Prop balancing (again)

Ron Gray

I know that a fully balanced prop will hold its position on a balancer no matter where you place it. I have a prop that sits quite level but will always go back to level no matter where I place the blades. If I recall correctly, this means that the hub needs to be balanced as one side is heavier than the other, however, if I turn the prop round (so the heavier side of the hub is upmost now) the prop still sits level. What do I need to do to get it correctly balanced?

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 19/10/2017 20:58:13:

if its that close its unlikely to matter

Indeed. In the old days I never used to bother balancing props for my glow motors blush never had any issues.

Now that I run mostly larger petrol motors I balance all my props. But I only ever need to use a drop of paint to balance them - I do wonder how much benefit I get from that! Props these days do seems to be well balanced as supplied.

Edited By Rich too on 20/10/2017 06:35:02

The Menz prop I’m referring to required 7 coats of clear lacquer to one blade plus some light sanding to the other to get it so that the blades balanced but whichever way up the prop is on the balancer it will only come to rest in the horizontal position. Some may say send it back but it’s already been drilled so that won’t work.

I’m inclined to leave it as it is on the basis that it’s near enough (as Jon says) rather than mess around any more.