Which model flight simulators work on windows 10.

Erfolg

My transmitters are Futaba and a dummy Reality Craft Tx case. Does anybody know if any of them work with these Simulators?

There is another issue, normally when i put in a product name, there are lots of retailers, saying I have this or that for sale. With the simulators, there is essentially nothing, other than the Google sponsered postings. Any ideas?

Pleased this post has come up . I’m trying to buy a new flight SIM too. I have used Phoenix 4 for a few years ( hadn’t since windows 10 installed itself) . I wasted a lot of time last weekend trying to get it to run on Windows 10. I think it must be something to do with new 64 bit processors. Tried installing direct X etc but got fed up to be honest. I just want a good new SIM . Would love one that could connect via Futaba TX too . I couldn’t see an easy onscreen to buy one either. Seems SIMs are thin on the ground with Horizon UK seemingly shrinking. Advice where I can buy one appreciated too 😊

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 13/11/2017 15:21:15

Timothy, we probably share similar concerns. The lack of Simulators that appear to be available could be due to a number of factors. The first could be that we are not a growing interest, each week sees less of us. A second could be that many modellers who use them, have one that works. The third issue could be those who have one that does not work, take the view that they cannot be troubled in buying yet another.

If any or all of my conjectures are true, would indicate there is little or no money to be made in either developing a new system, even maintenance of previous releases is not financially attractive. As far as model shops are concerned, probably not enough are or will be sold to encourage stocking, even on a sale or return basis, pay up front and then it is a case of no way Jose.

It could well be that the next MS Windows update will leave us yet again with a bit of software that does not work.

It could be that the Futaba or dummy Tx is all that can be resolved now with anything approaching certainty.

Phoenix is freely downloadable but relies on their hardware 'dongle' to work. The dongle interfaces to the trainer port of any transmitter and mine works on W10 both with my old Multiplex 3030 and my Taranis. I'm almost sure it was fine with the DX6i I had for a while. Mine is version 5.5.1 which I think is the latest but I've updated several times when prompted by Phoenix.

Geoff

Hmm

I have had a look at Webbies, they do realitycraft, which I have, presumably a older version, as it does not work.

More interestingly the sell Great planes, Realflight Basic, for £67 + about £5 for a Futaba cable. This is interesting, although I am not sure, as there is also listed a whole range of bolt ons, add ons, which would push up the cost significantly. For what benefit, I have no idea at present.

I am now looking for a Phoenix outlet, although out here in the sticks, it could be a long treak.

It could be mail order, which I increasingly undertake.

Posted by Erfolg on 13/11/2017 21:35:21:

I cannot work out if phoenix can use a Futaba Tx or it must have a Spektrum Tx. Does any one know?

Adaptor leads are available for Futaba but i had problems getting a 7CAP to work with Phoenix. Ripmax suggested that the output on the trainer socket was too weak. I couldn't resolve the issue and used a 6EX which worked fine.

Andrew

Posted by Erfolg on 13/11/2017 21:35:21:

I cannot work out if phoenix can use a Futaba Tx or it must have a Spektrum Tx. Does any one know?

Oh Dear. Might help if you said which models you have available!

I have used Phoenix since v1, now of course on latest. At last count over 100 landscapes and far too many planes to count, in excess 300.

I have used it with:-

Spektrum DX7

Spektrum DX6i

Spektrum DX9

Multiplex Cockpit SX

Futaba T6EXAP (in use now)

Futaba 6EX (2.4)

Futaba T6EXP (in use now)

Futaba T7CP (in use now)

Futaba T6EX (2.4)

Futaba 10CG (2.4)

FrSky Taranis

FrSky Horus (Development and Production versions)

and a couple of the USB "dummy" Tx inc the ESky 0905A

I recommend using an old 35MHz Tx without crystal. That way the RF is turned off and the Tx battery lasts for ages, even if "tired". I run two systems (Win 7 and Win10) and "fly" with grandkids over Internet and here at home.

It seems certain that i will now purchase a Phoenix sim.

It seems that Clearview is programmed and maintained by a single guy.

In essence both are now probably susceptible to the vagaries of fate. Both at the mercy of ill health of individuals and business.

For the connection between the Tx and PC it seems I will need a suitable cable with a USB at one end and a Futaba mirco plug ("D" at the other. So far I have not found one with certainty. I should have such a lead, just where, is the issue.

Thanks Dave for the list.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/11/2017 12:04:52

Posted by Dave Bran on 14/11/2017 06:50:32:

I recommend using an old 35MHz Tx without crystal. That way the RF is turned off and the Tx battery lasts for ages, even if "tired". I run two systems (Win 7 and Win10) and "fly" with grandkids over Internet and here at home.

Both transmitters I use (Mux 3030 and Taranis) can have the RF signal turned off. The Multiplex has a wired hardware link in the DIN socket and the Taranis can be easily configured without an RF signal in the model setup I use for the Phoenix simulator. I'm sure that must apply in other transmitters. I used to use an old Futaba FF7 Super which I'm almost sure had an option to turn off the RF output without removing the crystal.

Whatever transmitter you use it's always much better as Dave writes to turn off the RF to save battery consumption.

Geoff

AFAIK all Official Phoenix leads have a jack plug at the Tx end and a dongle in the middle

Short converter cables are widely available which go from jack socket to futaba square plug. These are sold for buddy lead converting, so not necc advertised as simulator lead. Last time in SMC they had a couple hanging on display and I have seen them in TJD.

A straight USB to jack or square will not work.

Yep - Realflight will work great on Windows 10 - I only have up to version 6.5 but many others have run up to version 7.5, which is still available. If you have a really old simulator program, Windows10 can be set to run it as though it is an older Windows version.

WARNING - don't buy Realflight-X unless you have a super-computer or your kid moved out and left you a mega gaming computer. Graphics are extremely 'power-hungry' and quite honestly - not worth the effort! I go back to Realflight 6.5 more often as all the models I love have been 'posted' by (other far more clever) users for me to download and enjoy. SOME can be migrated to Realflight-X but not all. The 'better' graphics are for other people who're watching over your shoulder!!!

I have now purchased Phoenix 5.5, I think I came to the conclusion that from the point of view of support, neither was obviously going to be superior in the long run. It seems to be case of one company that is struggling to keep going and another where the programmer is a single person. The future with respect to either is any ones guess.

There does not seem to be much choice in the UK, as I am guessing that very few packages are now sold on a yearly basis now, whereas 10 or so years it was possibly many hundreds if not thousands. There is no local stockist for either without a 150 mile round trip, even with my car that is 3 gallons, which probably equates to approx.£20, taking almost half a day of driving.

Surprisingly to me many MS do not seem to stock either, most stocked non. Although Ikarus was sold at least one, I have heard nothing good about them, from anybody, so just dismissed the product, as there seems to be no reviews even, with pictures looking pants. What really put me of, you seemed to need to purchase a range of add on software, for anything specific.

On that basis the best deal came out at £120 to my door, via Amazon. Like so much, there is a surprise, as the delivery is not until early December, a further surprise in that its origins is from Switzerland. The other offer were in excess of £150-170, from MS I had heard of. There were a few suspicious offers on EBay, at lower prices, maybe higher cost. The Amazon seller has a stellar rating.