End of year and NYD flying

Andy Meade

Hello again guys and gals,

As has started to be some sort of custom (have done it for the last 3 years I guess), I shall be attempting a slope session on the last day of this year, and the first day of 2018 - all of course weather permitting. A clear go / no-go will be posted here for both days.

Last year, NYE we were on the Orme in stunning conditions, with NYD on the Cloud in some not so great conditions, but we flew both days nonetheless.

Over the Christmas break I shall be in north Wales, so what better place to aim for, than the Great Orme? Blast that turkey and stuffing out of your body with the PSSA - sport and scale of course welcome as always.

Excellent - glad to see this plan hatched once again - fingers crossed we get the conditions!!

I'll certainly be there for one of the two days, wherever we end up - most likely NYD as we tend to have plans with family on NYE. Remember last year when you lot were smashing massive PSS conditions at the Orme and sending me annoying texts whilst I was at a ballerina event with my young daughter!?? Epic fail.

Better go renew my BMFA insurance so its all above board come 1st Jan! thumbs up

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the weather carefully on the final run up, for a while now NYE looks to be the better of the two days as it looks to move W and NW on NYD according to XC weather - bringing some rain with it too...

I'm seriously thinking about changing my plans at home to enable a trip on the better of the 2 days - NYE looks very promising for some good PSS flying with solid SWerlies and sunny spells!

Was a superb days flying today, great to see all those who could make it, there's more flying planned tomorrow too for those who got a NYD pass! Ill post some piccies soon, we flew from 9am until 3:15pm with an hours break at 1pm for a heavy rain shower, but once that passed through we were left with some gorgeous conditions! As usual a lovely selection of PSS models on show!

Happy New Year to all! party

Hi All, Happy New Year to everyone.

Just thought I would add to Phils' post from NYE - we had what sounds like a similar day today - NYD!

Very sunny start- flying by 9.30 with booming lift 25-30mph, flying until around 12.30pm with- an hour of heavy rain (where we hid and chewed the fat) - then cloud but no rain and even stronger lift - so we managed more flying but with occasional showers. The flying ended by being totally rained off around 3pm. Lots of flying done by most people by then though!

Good selection of PSS models flying plus some sports flying also.

Picture attached of the pits around 11am, off my phone - sorry for the poorish quality!

Regards H

pss 005.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 01/01/2018 23:39:46

Nice day for flying so batted the Carbon Yak around once and the re-maiden the Speed Air since its conversion to IC

Four flights with the Speed Air (four clicks of up elevator) and no problems with the Laser (easy starting and faultless running throughout), I could get to used to this easy IC flying lark!

ready to fly.jpg