Electric Cars.

Cuban8

1 hybrid Corolla and 1 electric Leaf. The Leaf is now 10 yrs old. Early ones had a small battery/range. The original 80 mile ish range is now around 50 miles, which suits him as the field is only a 20 mile round trip.

Diesel estates and SUV's still the most common. 

12 hours ago, Ace said:

1 hybrid Corolla and 1 electric Leaf. The Leaf is now 10 yrs old. Early ones had a small battery/range. The original 80 mile ish range is now around 50 miles, which suits him as the field is only a 20 mile round trip.

Diesel estates and SUV's still the most common. 

There is a company in Holland that now swaps out batteries in older Leafs to give them a new lease of life, though for many a “run around” with 70-80 miles is good enough for the vast majority of journeys (assuming you have two cars and the other is an ICE). 

I am going to the Fully Charged show in Farnborough on Friday, should be good though I am more interested in the home energy tech than EVs in the short term.

Edited by MattyB

36 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Do please report on what you think of the Fully Charged Show. I'm contemplating going on Sunday but not sure it's worth tackling the M3 on a bank holiday weekend!

Trevor

Will be a lot of EV's all looking for charging points in car parks ?, but roads should be clear!

23 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Will be a lot of EV's all looking for charging points in car parks ?, but roads should be clear!

As a 40kWhr Leaf driver that is a consideration not to be underestimated as we are doing three days at the show! ?

I’ve told Mrs idd to take a book, or two. But I could be single again come Monday!

idd

I am gunna read this thread from the begining as it is of interest.

I am sure some of you will have read the New Scientist mag, the issue in the 1990's about the American airport German car hire company using solar cracked hydrogen as the fuel for the company fleet of IC cars ?

When the government figures out how to tax electricity for vehicle use, the situation will probably change. Maybe this is why the push for smart meters ?

Remember, they said nuclear electricity would be toooo cheap to meter. Yeah, right.

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

I am gunna read this thread from the begining as it is of interest.

I am sure some of you will have read the New Scientist mag, the issue in the 1990's about the American airport German car hire company using solar cracked hydrogen as the fuel for the company fleet of IC cars ?

When the government figures out how to tax electricity for vehicle use, the situation will probably change. Maybe this is why the push for smart meters ?

Remember, they said nuclear electricity would be toooo cheap to meter. Yeah, right.

As did the French, free autoroutes now at least 1€ the 10 kilometres, the double in the south east around Nice,,,

Cheap diesel at least 30% petrol now 10% more expensive than petrol,

A small petrol hatchback and a 30.000€ eco tax ( thanks to Europe ) put a battery in a Ferrari and by magic it's eco friendly and no 30.000€ eco tax,,,

This is an interesting thread...

We live in a very rural area which, thank God, has a good bus service to the nearest large town.

Getting a bus pass is the best birthday present you will ever have in my opinion, even if the bus is diesel powered.

For us, an electric car could work mostly, but for the odd long distance journey, an ev would be a real worry. We could not afford 2 cars, so we are keeping the road tax expensive but 60mpg pug 306 diesel estate.

Things are different for the lad and his commute of 16 miles each way.

A leaf would be very adequate for his commute circumstances. Off road parking about 20 metres from his front door, at the end of the Garden. 2 largish south facing roofs for possible solar panel exploitation, and enough of a hight difference for a possible small, very small hydro plant.

All that's needed is money.

He currently uses a fiat Punto 1.2 returning about 53 mpg.

He is a sensible economy driven driver. If he wants speed, he will get a Yamaha R1.

We are lucky I suppose.

A change in society is needed as well as a sensible max road speed. We do not need 200, 300 or even 400 bhp or equivalent, 75 bhp is sufficient for cars, even motorcycles.

Ev's do need greater range ( bigger batteries=more wieght at present ), or thousands upon thousands of more charging points and the means/capacity to power them.

Solar farms on every Tesco store roof, every house roof etc., or a total rethink of home/life/work location.

A mixture of everything really.

As sure as eggs are eggs, the government will impose a tax on car electricity or ev ownership, they just haven't announced it yet, just like a "breathing tax" !

Stay safe out there....

Off to read the remaining 50% or so of this thread...?

As to the poor people affording a vehicle, they have beer and bingo and 2 legs ( mostly ), what more do they want.

We consider ourselves poor, the dwp does not make mistakes, they said.

Fill out that br1 form and prey !

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 08:12, MattyB said:

...I am going to the Fully Charged show in Farnborough on Friday, should be good though I am more interested in the home energy tech than EVs in the short term.

On 28/04/2022 at 08:59, Trevor said:

Do please report on what you think of the Fully Charged Show. I'm contemplating going on Sunday but not sure it's worth tackling the M3 on a bank holiday weekend!

Trevor

Unfortunately I am ill today and have been unable to go, so can't report back - I hope you enjoy the show, I don't think you will be disappointed based on what I saw of it last year in online reviews.

Edited by MattyB

Anyone know if this show in Farnborough will be on TV ?

Too far for us to drive to, pity as we have friends relatively close ( Dunsfold )...diesel is very expensive at 1.73/litre locally. The pug will get there and back will a little to spare on a tankfull.

Is the Jindivic target drone still by the fence I wonder. Want to make a slope soarer model of that.

Edited by Rich Griff

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Unfortunately I am ill today and have been unable to go, so can't report back - I hope you enjoy the show, I don't think you will be disappointed based on what I saw of it last year in online reviews.

Sorry to hear that Matty. Hope you feel better soon. We’ve just booked our tickets for Sunday, so maybe I’ll try to report back for you!

Trevor

I know this topic is on electric cars, but anybody else noticed the huge number of electric bicycles around. I've ridden a couple and they are fantastic, would be perfect for a 16 mile commute, I used to do a similar commute a couple of days a week on a non-assisted pushbike and it wasn't much longer than going in the car. If I was still working there I would have an electric bike and use it just about every day.

17 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Anyone know if this show in Farnborough will be on TV ?

Too far for us to drive to, pity as we have friends relatively close ( Dunsfold )...diesel is very expensive at 1.73/litre locally. The pug will get there and back will a little to spare on a tankfull.

Is the Jindivic target drone still by the fence I wonder. Want to make a slope soarer model of that.

Rich, there are likely to be several YouTube channels with reports on the show, not least the Fully Charged channel.

16 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I know this topic is on electric cars, but anybody else noticed the huge number of electric bicycles around. I've ridden a couple and they are fantastic, would be perfect for a 16 mile commute, I used to do a similar commute a couple of days a week on a non-assisted pushbike and it wasn't much longer than going in the car. If I was still working there I would have an electric bike and use it just about every day.

We bought one 15 years ago and another 5 years on for our place in Montpellier, that was and still is the only way to commute in that town, down the tram ways across the parks etc, the only problem is the battery life, we lost a good 30% in 3 to 4 years,

Now in the Cevennes hills with the roads full of potholes a complete waste of time and too dangerous now both sold,,,

16 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I've had an electric bike for the last three years Frank.  It's by Cube and is termed a hybrid, though it's more like a mountain bike than anything else to me.  The great thing about electric bikes is that once you go above the 25 km/hr (15.5mph) assistance limit you are putting all the effort in yourself, so still achieving a degree of fitness.  But once hill-climbing starts, having that motor assistance is wonderful!  Range depends on how many hills you encounter of course and what level of assistance you set, but I normally charge the battery when it's down to about half remaining, by which time I've done about 40 miles.  The only thing I would change on my particular bike is to put a larger chainwheel on it (which I may do) as I find it rather too low-geared and I spend all my time using the top three or four gears (of nine) and find I literally can't pedal any faster in top gear than about 25 mph.

On the topic of electric bikes met the other week a gent who was very proud of his and showed us all the features, styled like a lightweight motorbike with pedals, 50 mile range, but he had obtained a kit from the dealer which did away with the pedals, made it an electric motorbike, but he was still riding on footpaths and with no insurance ,plates, etc. Looked up the maker on the web and they sell on the basis that this will be legal shortly. Don't think so!

As far as I know, the only legal electric bikes are limited to provide assistance to your pedaling efforts up to 15.5mph.  Also, it is not legal to have an electric bike that doesn't require you to pedal.  There are of course so-called "dongles" which fool the bike's electronics and provide unlimited motor assistance.  Again, not legal and many bike dealers won't work on the bike, at least the electronics anyway, if it had been so modified.