Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

2 hours ago, John Lee said:

Been there, done that! One dealer even took photos of my model in the back of the car for use in their publicity/advertising.

Me too. Criterion was "can I fit an assembled Riot in"?

EV sales are NOT flat lining in the UK, the rate of sales growth has slowed a bit but they are still on an upward trajectory. The following figures are from the SMMT:

Looking at the first 4 months of 2024, the total new car market grew by 8.4%.
BEV registrations increased by 10.6% compared to the same period in 2023. 
PHEV sales increased by 31.4%

HEV increased by 13.3% compared to the same period in 2023 

Petrol registrations increased by 6.7%  compared to the same period in 2023  (a lower rate of growth than the overall market)
Diesel registrations fell  by 9.8% .....again, compared to the same period in 2023 

More than 107,000 new BEV's were registered on UK roads between January and April (inclusive).
Sales of new BEV's is now close to 3x that for all diesel cars.

Charger Rollout - The following figures are from ZAP Map:

On the rollout of chargers at the end of April there are now 61,232 electric charging points across the UK across 32,697 charging locations. This represents a 45% increase in the total number of charging devices since April 2023.

To give you some idea of the kinds of charging facilities now available to us EV drivers the following pictures were taken at the NEC charging hub when we visited the Model World exhibition this April. There are 150 rapid (7kW) chargers and 30 ultra rapid (150 kW) chargers installed. 

PXL_20240428_142015774 (1).jpg

PXL_20240428_142043637 (1).jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

But yes our anecdotal experience of insurance is that EV's are more expensive, our 2021 Mini SE (186 bhp) just cost £250 whereas our previous 2004 Mitsubishi Colt (65 bhp) had only cost £183 in 2023, a 36% increase (but we did up the mileage by 16%).

All insurance is massively up this year. My 99bhp fiesta (POWER!) was £180 in 2023, up to £280 on initial quote for 2024 (haggled down to £230). My motorcycle is a similar story, same with buildings and contents. When I ran a quick comparison site search for an MG5 Vs a diesel Passat Vs a Ford Ranger as part of looking in to what to get next, as long as the base value of the vehicle was reasonable similar, so was the insurance cost (all came out around £300). 

I didn't understand why so many commenters are obsessed with the extra weight of EVs. A proper classic mini weighed 580kg. A new one weighs 1680kg. The UK's most popular car - Fiesta - went from 736kg to 1262kg. The largest "tonnage per axle" increase in recent years has been caused by ownership of vans - caused by the privatisation of Royal Mail and the proliferation of self employed delivery drivers. An MG5 weighs 1565kg, my wife's Kuga weighs 1859kg. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Learner said:

Think I'd be looking in the rear view mirror a lot while stopped at traffic lights!

I know exactly what you mean, but it does have a surprising degree of "presence" on the road, I think because it is quite tall for its size.

Another EV built to the quadricycle regs on display was the Micro Lino which sadly you could not test drive. Demonstrators are due to be available in the UK end of July and hopefully we'll get chance to test one on the road then. It again feels a more substantial vehicle than the Silence with a steel chassis and aluminium body. You can also get two crates of beer in the area behind the seat, so a more substantial shop!

Cheers

idd

imageedit_2_7649464232.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Is it any more dangerous than being rear ended when you are on a bicycle?

No of course not but bicyles and motorcycles are inherantly more  dangerous in a collision than cars and are not subject to the same rules of consrtruction that cars are. You just cannot compare the two.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Learner said:

👍😃Some sense in the world . Forcing a change like the UK Gov is doing is ridiculous . A pity HM Gov is still being so hypocritical  and forcing it on us . Please , before the EV evangelists start please remember that not everyone can afford the high price of an EV or have the convenience of charging them at home or bear the loss when it come to replacing them or the battery.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Re France, this article

I looked at 3 different French sites this morning, very conflicting numbers and none the same, I saw the news the other day when the Dacia Spring

had gone from something like 2.000 a month to last month 17 new cars ordered, as they don't get the government handout any more on EV's built outside the EU.

I still don't see why our tax € / £ should go to subsidise expensive cars that don't pay much tax on its energy like our IC ones do.🤢

4 hours ago, Learner said:

There was a completely separate article on Japan I saw the other day on how they were wrestling with whether to bring back on line Nuclear Power plants shut down after the Fukusihma meltdown following the tsunami, at the moment they are relying on record fossil fuel imports for power generation, maybe this could explain why Japan is reluctant to embrace EVs. 

The elephant in the room is the tax lost from IC cars in particular, at present the total taxes from IC cars from vat, purchase tax, fuel taxes, road fund licence is easily in excess of £28 bn. Sources for specific elements can be found, although th total has so far eluded me. If all cars become electric, this sum will of necessity be recouped from other sources. The hints have started that EVs will be paying more than as at present, you can be sure, that the present IC vehicles will no longer be the source.

Who and how will these very large sums be recouped, is coming more to the fore.

The references I see to Evs, Flat Lining, is in the context that the sales have flattened, not declined as in being dead, that is not increasing as was postulated. Tesla (as in cars) is a vivid case, in that selling price and share price have declined.

38 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

The elephant in the room is the tax lost from IC cars in particular, at present the total taxes from IC cars from vat, purchase tax, fuel taxes, road fund licence is easily in excess of £28 bn. Sources for specific elements can be found, although th total has so far eluded me. If all cars become electric, this sum will of necessity be recouped from other sources. The hints have started that EVs will be paying more than as at present, you can be sure, that the present IC vehicles will no longer be the source.

Who and how will these very large sums be recouped, is coming more to the fore.

The references I see to Evs, Flat Lining, is in the context that the sales have flattened, not declined as in being dead, that is not increasing as was postulated. Tesla (as in cars) is a vivid case, in that selling price and share price have declined.

Suggest a start might be taxing aviation fuel and its other tax dodges removed. My understanding, about 10 percent of journeys are business related. Those are claimed against tax, the rest tax free.

• Like 1

I would take any data or statistics coming from the motor trade with a pinch of salt. It is a business wherenitnnever rains but it pours!  As an example of the curious and self centred attitude of the motor trade consider our vehicle number plates. In the days of three digit and three numbers plates the plates were unchangedin decades. Whnen we stated using seven character plates eg: ABC 123 A, the new reg started on the 1st January and lasted a year. This didn't suit the motor trade  because no one buys new cars  in the winter so a change of registration happened on the 1stAug. This also quite quickly didn't suit the motor trade because this was during the holiday period and vehicles were apparently in short supply to satisfy the 'new' reg market. The solution was to have two new registration letters per year in March and September, thus using up the available registrations at twice the speed of the earlier system. All to satisfy the motor trade. So a business that manufactures facts/data to satisfy its own ends. I wouldn't believe a word of anything coming out of that business.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

I would take any data or statistics coming from the motor trade with a pinch of salt. So a business that manufactures facts/data to satisfy its own ends. I wouldn't believe a word of anything coming out of that business.

Your right but there's still a few fooled by the EV hype.

7 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I saw Paris is putting a super parking tax on heavy vehicles, 4 x 4's and the of course the heavy EV's.

You mean this?:

"The cost to park in the centre of Paris for non-residents with petrol, diesel and hybrid cars weighing over 1.6 tonnes, and electric vehicles over 2.o tonnes, is going to triple from 1 September 2024 to €18/hour (equivalent to about £15/hour)."

Because you may want to look here:

https://www.evspecs.org/electric-cars-weight-comparison-chart

And see that the weight limit has less to do with power train, and more to do with over all "style". SUVs will always be heavier. The majority of EVs won't be affected. 

5 hours ago, Learner said:

Your right but there's still a few fooled by the EV hype.

When you say "hype", do you mean "established facts? :-

- cheaper to run

- cheaper to maintain 

- initial purchase cost approaching parity with ICE vehicles

- zero range issues for 90%+ of all car users

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, payneib said:

- cheaper to run

- cheaper to maintain 

Depends on individual circumstances 

Your established facts may suit you 

But the hype doesn't do anything for me.

47 minutes ago, payneib said:

You mean this?:

"The cost to park in the centre of Paris for non-residents with petrol, diesel and hybrid cars weighing over 1.6 tonnes, and electric vehicles over 2.o tonnes, is going to triple from 1 September 2024 to €18/hour (equivalent to about £15/hour)."

Because you may want to look here:

https://www.evspecs.org/electric-cars-weight-comparison-chart

And see that the weight limit has less to do with power train, and more to do with over all "style". SUVs will always be heavier. The majority of EVs won't be affected. 

My Diesel Renault Trafic is around no 360 on your weight  list similar to an mg4

Very similar style.

2 hours ago, payneib said:

- cheaper to run

- cheaper to maintain 

I'd add to that:

Much quieter

Much nicer/easier to drive

Much, much faster!