What Happens Next

In my 28 years sevice as a HM coastguard rescue officer I was involved in the rescue/recovery of many casualties in out of the way places. Many of these started with a search to find said casualty.

The advent of mobile phones was a great help But as David says in his [good advice] post coverage can be patchy.

One bit of kit I would allways recomend anyone carry would be a torch,even a small one can be seen from some distance by rescuers and one thing for sure sooner or later it will get dark.

Many phones have a torch built in these days but even if not the screen its self is a brite source, HM Coastguard helo crews say that with their low light head sets they can spot one from up to five miles away.

I would have seldom got to do anything if I had to wait for, or arrange for company. I live in the Scottish Highlands and have Walked the hills, shore fished the Lochs and seashores, as well as afloat by boat. I have been vermin and wildfowl shooting over much of the terrain. I have and still do, drive on at times, little used roads.
I would say,, enjoy life, do not be afraid 'cos someone else is. They talk I think, from a certain level of inability to function alone.

I have had injuries,, I still functioned. A very useful tip for bleeding wounds, wrap firmly in CLEAN plastic film or bags then compress as is advised by First Aid practice. Very good for keeping fibres from causing problems, also does not wick blood away so helping coagulation. I always have some in my First Aid kit/s.

Ron, I'm afraid I don't agree. Yes, it's important to tell someone where you are, and when you will return, and in watersports / hiking / climbing, it is very necessary. However, for model flying, I'm not sure I would have an accurate enough return time for it to be my main hope of survival! What if I plan to fly for 4 hours, and I cut off my fingers while starting the engine for my first flight?

For the types of injuries we are thinking about at the flying field, I still think that the self-help aspect is MUCH more important than sitting around expecting help to come to you.

For me, the most sensible things that have been suggested here with reference to flying alone are:

1. Mobile phone: push buttons not touchscreen is a handy comment.
  2. Know where you are (GPS coordinates).
  3. Stay calm.
  4. Have large bandages, and cable ties and tape with which to use them.

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 13/02/2018 11:55:14

If I hadn’t had my mobile phone with me while walking alone along a local track a month ago I wouldn’t be writing this (or anything else) now. My aorta, or at least its lining, went pop without warning. I phoned my wife who then was able to tell the ambulance people exactly how to reach me. An operation at Papworth followed soon after, and I’m still here.

Posted by David Mellor on 13/02/2018 12:57:49:

@The Wright Stuff....

You might be taking the comment somewhat out of context.

I assumed the context was as per the OP in the traditional sense! cheeky

The reason I mention it is not to be pernickety, but to emphasise that the balance of risks that each of us accepts varies according to actual circumstance.

But yes, I can't disagree with that! smiley

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 13/02/2018 13:28:12

@David - I think you have hit the nail on the head and it hurts so I'll sit down and wait for help to arrive! Joking aside, the club I fly with has a rule that we must, at all time, on any of our 3 flying sites, have a spotter in attendance. The spotter doesn't have to be a fellow flier so could be the wife (!!!). So from my point of view, most of my flying takes place with others in attendance and this proved vital last year when one of the guys chopped a finger off putting it through the arc of a prop. The other fliers present were able to call for help (but took a while for the location to be understood by the emergency team, which is where Echo112 would have helped) and more to the point were able to stop said fingerless flier from driving himself to the hospital! I do also fly alone but this is carried out in a field adjacent to my cottage and I only fly leccy powered models there.

Regarding the point that you raised in your post TWS:

1. Mobile phone: push buttons not touchscreen is a handy comment. - most of my fellow fliers have touchscreens not buttons but most also have voice activated although not all know how to use it!
  2. Know where you are (GPS coordinates). Great if you remember or can find the sheet of paper with them. Far better to use Echo112 or similar.
  3. Stay calm. Great until shock sets in.
  4. Have large bandages, and cable ties and tape with which to use them. You have to know what to do with them otherwise you can do more harm than good, which is why the OP is a great idea to get expert guidance for all club members.