Super Star

malmaz

Hi All

Had one of these many years ago, so decided to build another one over the winter.

Decided to go with foam wings and tail plane the rest is balsa and ply, one servo for the wings and the elevator servo at the rear. Went a bit overboard with the engine and used a OS 75ax. All finished now and ready for the warmer weather and its first flight.smiley

Super Star

• Thanks 1

I had a Super Star in the 1970s. Powered by a Veco .61, and fitted with Waltron radio gear. I was too inexperienced to fly it well, so it had a short life!

However, a couple of years, I was inspired by the Star to draw up my own pseudo-classic aerobat, very much based on the Super Star's proportions.

For obvious reasons, I named it the Charlatan......

Tim

img_8577.jpg

Anbody who intends to buy the plan from Sarik should note that they have 2 Super Star plans that are quite different. Traplet published a Gordon E Whitehead model of a Super Star, while the plan Malc quotes a plan number for is correct for the RCME Wolfgang Matt Super Star. Now that both Traplet and RCME etc plans all come from Sarik Hobbies they have both these plans, so correct plan number should be used for ordering.

I built the Wolfgang Matt Superstar as soon as it appeared in RCME. With an HP .61 it was a lovely flyer, but became temporarily less so when it the middle 12 inches of its starboard wing panel exploded into bits when I was slow-rolling it past a nearby rugby post. It's a tough design though. It flew on in knife-edge and only landed after passing the far touch-line. The remaining wing panel was undamaged, as were the fuselage and tailplane. I rescued the detached bit of the broken wing panel and jigged it over the plan with the 5/8ths of the wing which was still in one piece, and grafted in a new section, not hard to do with a film-covered built-up wing. With a replacement retract unit, the original one having shattered against the rugby post, the model was soon back in the air.

The main snag with my own Super Star design, which is a sport scale version of the Henry Haigh Super Star which he flew at various world champs, and which was Haigh's version of the Stevens Acro from which the Laser 200 and Extra 230 were also developed, is the likely lack of a ready-made canopy. I was only looking at my original .40-size drawings this morning wondering whether to scale them up for a Laser 155, as it was an exciting aerobat. However, I'm now thinking that a 155-size Matt Superstar would be nice too.

Gordon

• 5 months later...

Brian, Malmaz already answered that question in this thread:

"David Foley It is the MK2

Nigel R I got the plan from traplet X List Plans before they shut down but you can get it from Sarik Hobbies Plan No: RC1056

I got Cloud Models who sell the Bullet and Tornado kits to cut the wings & Tail plane."

Here is a link to the plan:

**LINK**

here is a link to the Wing cutter:

**LINK**