New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

Well the recent cold weather has had it advantages and three snow day confined to the workshop has meant a couple of new designs have materialised.

I had a discussion with David Ashby just before Christmas on the subject of free plans for the 2018 RCM&E special. So rather than the usual mid-size scale model you have all come to expect, David suggested why not a couple of simple jets, design to be small and cheap but more importantly FUN......

Now 10 years ago I did do a couple of jet Dog Fight Doubles in the form of a EE Lightning & MiG 25. Both were pusher prop powered and were well received....however, I did get a lot of requests at the time asking if these could be converted to EDF.....the answer was...not really because EDF had not really developed to a stage where a cheap workable installation could be found......roll on 10 years and the answer is definitely yes.

Comparing an EDF scale design against a prop driven version of the same design, i would lay money the EDF version would be 10 time more popular to the modelling public, simply because its closer and reflects the real full-size aircraft so I reckon these are going to be pretty popular, plus its getting back to grass roots aeromodelling....

So back to mini jets....both are simple all balsa construction with 6mm balsa sheet. 24" Span, AUW 15oz, 3-function radio.....

Test flew them Sunday in poor weather and what a blast!!!! being EDF and lightweight, really easy to self hand launch even with frozen hands....no nasty torque steer..

img_5636.jpg

The fan set-up- AEO 50mm 3S unit, 30amp ESC, 1500mah 3S Lipo....all this from HK for around the £40 mark....

img_5635.jpg

• 3 months later...
Posted by Tim C on 03/07/2018 09:20:58:

These look exceptionally good fun! It's great to see RCM&E getting some of its old mojo back, easy build sport scale models have always been popular builds

Edited By Tim C on 03/07/2018 09:31:38

I agree with that 100%

Posted by FlyinBrian on 03/07/2018 13:15:48:

Tony

What is the Sabre covered in it looks really metallic.

………………………..

I would say its "chrome" profilm….. I've used it on a few models and its like a mirror.

07.jpg

ken anderson...ne...1....profilm dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 04/07/2018 08:35:39

Covering is chrome profilm and photos really well.....

They are very strong little models...during early testing I cart wheeled both model without a scratch! the only significant damage was to the sabre nose when i dropped it nose first on to the workshop floor and put a nasty dent in the nose...top tip here for balsa models....if you soak the nose in a bucket of water for a hour or so and leave it to dry overnight, the wood swells and dent will disappear....then just get the hot iron on to the covering to smooth any creases.

The fan is an AEO unit ADH300... packs around 13oz of thrust and is a very light at around 55g. The blade balance is not great and they resonate badly at low to mid speeds, but hey at mid to high speed which is where they are operating at for this model, they are ok....

ThPosted by Tony Nijhuis on 04/07/2018 13:05:47:

Covering is chrome profilm and photos really well.....

They are very strong little models...during early testing I cart wheeled both model without a scratch! the only significant damage was to the sabre nose when i dropped it nose first on to the workshop floor and put a nasty dent in the nose...top tip here for balsa models....if you soak the nose in a bucket of water for a hour or so and leave it to dry overnight, the wood swells and dent will disappear....then just get the hot iron on to the covering to smooth any creases.

The fan is an AEO unit ADH300... packs around 13oz of thrust and is a very light at around 55g. The blade balance is not great and they resonate badly at low to mid speeds, but hey at mid to high speed which is where they are operating at for this model, they are ok....

As I forgot to ask you today at about 12.30 pm have you posted a video of the pair flying on YouTube?

Tim, the 50mm Edf is shoehorned so no chance of getting a 64mm or a 55mm....the 50mm is cheap and works well.....or of course be my guest to enlarge the plan at the printers by 128% and the 64mm will fit.......the plan is a blank canvas so play around and have fun....that what the hobby is all about