New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special

Once I marked out the proper Cof G according to the plans I was able to balance the plane with a 1800 battery placed fairly far back. It looks like my airflow wont be as restricted as I thought. I just have to finish tidying up my wiring and I'll be finished.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m planning to cover mine in the red/silver as per Tony’s, can someone recommend the best silver covering, I’ve heard good things about Hobbyking film but the silver doesn’t look shiny enough.

Also, nobody has the Sullivan fine cables in stock that I can see (apart from JS Hobbies but I can’t see a ‘buy’ button!!!). Any good alternative cables recommended ?

cheers,

Tony

bottom.jpgfront.jpgside.jpgtop.jpg

As with every plane I build it always takes me longer to make than I anticipate but I am pretty pleased with the end results. I haven't flown it yet, thought I should snap a couple of pics before the test flight in case it doesn't go as planned. I elected to put a large NACA vent on the bottom so the sides look clean for the decals, hopefully there is enough airflow. I also changed the hand grip to make it look more like a fuel tank from the side view. I used the FMS 4S EDF with a 1400mAh battery giving it an all up weight of 525g.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Tim....flies just as I remember it.....although mine used the lack luster AEO fan (now consigned to history)

Just been trying some HTI-RC 50mm fan units (Funjet) and these are an exact copy of the FMS 50mm fan....they are currently £16 on Banggood so an absolute STEAL capture.jpg

Back after a break.

I received a new Fan from my seller, but it delivers only 2/3 of power (18A--->27A). I had to send him back again. angry 2crying. I'm crazy to don't fly it.

For my next i would take HTI/FMS Bangood Fan. I see the new exciting Tony Mini-Jets models. When will Phantom be available?

PS:

Glenn, beautiful golden scheme

Jack did you fly your red Mig?

Edited By Marc ROCHE on 06/05/2019 23:00:54

Marc,

Could be your Fan is a 4S version and you are running on 3S lipos....it would account for the low current draw

The new models will be launch one at a time over alternate months in the RCME....so at the moment the Phantom wont be released for a good few months

excuse the pun but stick with Cyano for the construction and may a bit of PVA for the fan former and the joining of the wings

Hi Tony just received the June RCM&E and on p21 there is a photo of the 'FMS 11 blade fan and 2627 size 4500kv motor', also mentioned in Graham's text on the next page. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the 4S motor and you are using the 5300kv motor in your current 3s LiPo Mig-15/Sabre/Gnat/JP designs? Wouldn't want people to order the wrong motor and suffer disappointing performance crying 2

ps. Keep the designs coming yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/05/2019 13:23:37

It is a 4S version pictured in the Mag and these were going in the Concord

Needless to say if you did pop a 4S 4500kv FMS unit in the jets and put a 4S lipo pack in....you wouldnt be disappointed as that fan can deliver 750g of thrust as opposed to 600g for the 5300kv 3s on a 3S lipo

The only reason I'm suggesting 3S fans is most, if not all electric modellers, will have a 3S 2200...size ish... lipo kick around they can use......keep it cheap!!!!

I’ve took a break from the hawk and am about halfway through building the Sabre. Quick question, where are people getting the little pilot from? Tony seems to have a ready supply.... is that something we can get from TND?

I got 2 fans. One for the Sabre and the other for a Phantom.

Cheers

Mark