A-10 Thunderbolt from the Mike Pastro Plan

Phil Beard

• 1 month later...

Well the A10 Warthog model continues to be built at a faster pace with the nights drawing in and the weather at the weekends not allowing much else to be done outside. The model has progressed as can be seen in the photo.

img_2135.jpg

Hopefully the majority of the model will be finished before Christmas as I've already bought the wood for my next project being the Vulcan B MkII from the South Herts Model Plan.

img_2136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The A10 is continuing to progress quite nicely. I've come to the stage now where I need to go away from the plan as the original drawing called out to buy false engine pods from Bob Holman in California who I've contacted and he no longer has any, this doesn't come as a surprise the plan is from the early 1990's. So i've got a little challenge in designing the structure for the pods, but I'm well on with what's required and have figured out a way to make it in nearly a single unit.>>

Anyway see attached photo's to see where I've currently got too.>>

img_2137.jpg

img_2138.jpg

img_2730.jpg

img_2731.jpg

All the Best

Phil B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Andy,

Thanks for asking how I'm getting on with the A10.

Well I have to say the engine cowlings took so long to do and I still need to add some filler to get the correct shape that I lost my way a bit with the model. Don't get me wrong I've not given up with it but as you can see from the photos I've nearly completed a Flair ME109 which is a PSS model and also I've started on the Vulcan from the plans you sent to me.

I quite often have a number of models being built at the same time as since I work from home I can do bits during the day and the building board is right behind me in the office.

Was going to E-Mail you with regard to what weight you required in the front of the Vulcan and I'm going to use 2 servos built into each wing for the control service. Wouldn't mind your opinion.

img_2152.jpg

img_2153.jpg

Once these models are finished I've got the following lined up for building:-

1. Dynaflite - Bird of Time

2. Soar Ahead Sailplanes - Cobra

3. Big Lazy Bee Glider from a plan - Like the one built by John Woodfield (John looks to be a fantastic builder)

All the Best

Phil Beard

Hi Philip,

Glad all is OK and that you're still getting the building hours in. Looks like a great PSS fleet coming together there too, that's really great to see!

I too used 4 servos across the back of the Vulcan, and she needed about 4ozs of lead in the nose. Well, not quite the nose actually - if I'd been able to, the battery could have gone right up behind f1, as could the lead, but things were all a bit too sealed up by then. Anyway, mine came out at 8lbs for 8 sq ft of wing area, which was a bit portly due to the great big Blue Steel underneath.

Anyway, keep up the building, it's looking great on all fronts.