Things i would do differently.

I had a working rudder on this and as i do not use rudder i decided to disconnect it .

And so i would not bother with fitting a working rudder as it is not needed.

Also i would use a 9 gram servo for the elevator control and not the large standard one i used.

Also i would make the bottom of the fuselage flush as i had to add some foam packing , as on belly landing it caused problems with it digging in .

Also i would make the Ailerons wider to give a better roll rate.

fanunder.jpg

I had planed on building a bigger one .

I scaled the plan up and set about re-designing the body to look more scale as i was not happy with adding the packing to the bottom . I even set about figuring out how to make up some retracts but like most of my projects i will make a start only to get distracted with other projects nether to return .

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 26/12/2014 13:02:38

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

G'Day Steve

Just saw the video of the flight that you recently posted of the Fantrainer.

I am on my third model built from the same plan .  I never went with the IC version because as soon as I saw the plan ..it shouted E power...t'was quite a complex build as I remember. My model is very fast and so I have to sit down and have a rest after flying it.🙃

I have all the throws set to a minimum and with  a very pottant inrunner it really moves.

If you look at my video's ,back in 2017 ,you'll see a couple of flights with on board cam...one was the final flight of model "2"

Happy Landings 

Chris...

Hi Chris,

I thought it was about time I did a updated video of my Fantrainer.

So I decided I would setup a tripod and have a fixed camera positioned at the end of the landing patch.

I spent a long time looking for the transmitter for that model as it had the setting saved for the Fantrainer and a converter plug to change from Deans plug to XT60 plug.

Only problem after getting to the field and  setting up the Tripod I could not find my camera 🤔 yep left it at home.

So one of the guys at our club offered to use my phone to film it.

Only problem he said it was too fast to film. Having watched the video back now I understand.

large.Fantrainer.jpg.4f9caab3c48b75f5475c118a077e4d87.jpg

Watched your video. Yep not securing the hatch is a sure way to kill the model.

Steve.

I'm afraid that the hatch was a bit of a killer. Now the first pic is what it looked like just before the fatal flight and the other three are latest version showing that I did not go with the long elevator cable ,but installed a servo insitu

This was several years ago and after the prang I started on another build which I completed in quick time .....then it sat completed ,ready to go ...for about six years.....sat on a shelf ...in plain view but forgotten about. I took it out for its test flight about six weeks ago and very nearly put it in because the settings were a bit off . I now have the ailerons with very little movement and it is a pleasure to fly....but it is very fast ...just a little different to an autogyro. 

Happy Landings

Chris...

DSCF0620.jpg

DSC02554.JPG

DSC02557.JPG

DSC02555.JPG

• 8 months later...