• 3 weeks later...
/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10_%282%29.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10_%281%29.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10_%284%29.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10_%285%29.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/30327/Fantrainer_10_%283%29.jpg

Hi again,

Here are some more pictures nearly ready for a test flight now , if the digital scales are correct weighing in at 27 oz and with a cut down two bladed 8x6 on a 2208/8 brush less motor , 11.1v 2200 lipo iam pulling 182 watts and when i hold the model vertical and let go she rises . and on the 3 bladed 6x4 iam pulling 132 watts . just waiting for the right time and weather to test fly both new model and radio system out futada 7c .

Wow....it turned out great Stephen,  superb job.

After our natter at the field I started playing around with something pretty similar so ill be really intersted to see how yours flys. If it goes half as good as it looks it'll be a cracker.

PM when when youre going down and ill try and get  some in-flight pics  

Here in manchester it is usually raining and windy so if its none of the above its a bonus . I have in the past sat in the back of my car while it was poring down with rain and still flown , mad for it ,yes I was . Any way weekend looks as though it'll be overcast so it may still be ok yet .I maybe flying from rochdale's site or bury's , here's hoping

Just looked outside (Sat 9.00am) and its dead calm and sunny. . Ive got to nip to Leeds sometime today but if you're going to Rochdale or Bury  today let me know and ill do a detour for an hour or so

Hope yer charged up and ready to go  !!

EDIT: Im going out now but let me know if you are  taking it out this afty and ill pop  by on the way back (ill PM you my mob number)

Nuther EDIT....looks like u have PM turned off.

Hi Stephen,

It was great early on but I drove past about  3.00pm and it was a pea souper !

Ive got my still and vid cam charged up so hopefully ill be able to get down tomoz if we get some blue sky ..fingers crossed !!

Looks like yer PM is enabled so let me know if yer making a trip down. Ive got to pay me subs so ill probably be going down anyway.

Get everything charged jic

Great maiden Stephen..it looked superb.

Ive upped a few pics to an album http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=5&UAbN=838 but if you PM me your email address ill give you the link to the "hi-res" ones. I think I had some codensation on the lens so ill clean them up first .

In the meantime you can have a copy of the pics in the album if you want and Ill try and do the vid over the next day or so as well.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33715/IMG_3833.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33715/IMG_3848.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33715/IMG_3807.jpg

Hi dave ,

Thanks for taking the time out and coming down to take some pictures and do a video , its only when you sit back and look at pictures like this that you can really appreciate  the day and the model it self . Nice camera work shame it was getting dark so soon . And now looking at the pictures i wish i had come up with a better way of holding that canopy in place .                   

"  you'll just have to put a maiden flight review in here "  yes i will .

thanks to everyone for there help

No probs Stephen, yer man behind the sticks managed some nice low passes near the end just as the light was going.

Ive uploaded a few higher res ones for you (check  yer PM)  and Ive even photshopped the elastic out The video is also up ..including the frozen cowpat landing

For the canopy just put a couple of small neodymium magnets in 

<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Hi ,

FIRST FLIGHT OF MY ELECTRIC FANTRAINER

Well on the day of the maiden flight, it was clear skies and freezing cold. I had arranged to meet a flying buddy of mine, John, on site but there had been some delay due to confusion about as to where we were to meet up. Half an hour later when John turned up it was starting to go dark and the ground was getting colder and colder. As there was not much wind, conditions were still favourable.

The first pre-flight checks were done. I had set up the control movements as per the plan and I also checked the balance of the plane. All seem correct to the plan however, other members were not quite so sure. This was because the engine was in the middle of the plane and there would be no flow of air over the wings until the model had achieved flying speed. There were concerns as to how little movement there were on the ailerons and elevator. That said it was decided John would pilot the plane and I would launch the model myself as I had seen so many hand launches end in disaster and if the control movements are that ineffective at low speed then I would give it a long run-up before I launched the model into the air. After launching all our worries and concerns were proved to be unfounded, it literally pulled out of my hands and hurtled skywards. All my concerns explained to John not to nose-up too steeply and not to bank too harshly were totally unnecessary as the model turned out to be quite aerobatic and fast. John stated that he was happy flying on half throttle majority of the time. First flight over with, and still pictures taken, it was time to try a landing. Several landing approaches were attempted as the model did not seem to want to slow down. Phew she eventually landed all safe and well.

<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Time for a quick recharge and get the video rolling. John seemed to enjoy flying the model so much I could hardly prise the transmitter from his hands. Anyone wishing to build this model I can wholeheartedly confirm that it was better than I anticipated. The model performed better than I had expected. As for the second landing, just before touch-down a frozen cow pat appeared from nowhere and caused the model to have not such a dignified landing. Close inspection of the plane all well and no damage. Fantastic day had by all.

This is my first electric model I have built and I decided a small electric model would be ideal to get me started. But having concerns that a small model having to be hand launched and belly land may break the prop and tear off the tail plane. This model seem to fit the criteria, small and a high tail plain and prop protected within a duct. I have been out of the model flying game for some years and this build of an electric plane has given me the bug again. I am definitely going to consider building more electric planes and build a larger version of the fantrainer to include wheels.