Coupe Des Barons.

David Davis

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 17/09/2019 16:57:52:

Rules in English???.

I'll have a go!

The event is for three channel " Baron 1914" trainers as designed by Mr Charles Chauzit and first released in about 1970. Models must conform to the overall dimesions of the original model +/- 10%. There are no restrictions on construction methods, our club president for example had a model with a foam veneer wing. I only discovered this when he crashed it in the Limbo at 37.55 in the video. There are no restrictions on the shape of the wing. Some of the Barons have squared off wing tips and the No 2 Baron has rounded wing tips like a Douglas Dauntless. If ailerons are fitted they must be disconnected and taped up throughout the competition.

The fuselage must conform to the dimensions of the original +/- 10% and the pilot's competition number must appear on the fuselage side in numbers at least 6cms high. You keep your number for life.

Tail surfaces may be any shape but must be the same area as the original +/- 10%. In the past I've seen triangular Fokker and spade-shaped Albatros tailplanes on Barons. The competitor's number should be repeated on the fin or rudder but this is widely ignored. Some competitors only have one set of numbers on either the fuselage or on the tail surfaces.

All models must feature a pilot, a machine gun or cannon, an engine cowling and dummy wing warping cables at least on the top surfaces. Wheels should be similar in shape to those used on aircraft in the Great War.

Engines are limited to a 35 two-stroke a 52 four-stroke, it says a "42" in the Reglement but that's a misprint, or a 825 Watt electric motor. Fuel may contain up to 50%(!) nitro.

80 pilots are accepted for the event and are divided into 8 groups of ten pilots who all fly at the same time. Each pilot is allocated a position and number within the group and has to fly behind his number which is painted onto a safety fence. I was Pilot 3 in Group 8 for example. There is a waiting list of ten applicants who may replace any of those who drop out before the competition before it starts. 77 of us turned up on the day.

The event starts with a static display in which models are judged against certain criteria. The flying tests are listed in my original post except that this year the Chasse Renard was replaced by a spot landing competition. Apparently the previous event was too destructive of Barons and club trainers. Rather a pity I thought! devil

This year I sponsored a Four-Stroke Prize, £25 worth of 4' balsa provided by SLEC. I didn't winit!

After running the event for fifteen years the Vol Libre Club will be handing over the running of next year's event to the club at Jonage in flatter country near the airport at Lyon.

David, I've never flown a Baron, and accept the upped power is not going to improve the handling.

But in the baguettes;

was I looking at a model with a REALY sensitive elevator

or pilots who were a bit anxious to get down to hight, were not happy with the resultant speed, and never got the thing flying straight and level at baguette hight.

I accept, you might get down to hight, and hit nowt, but you have to be down to hit anything.

Wilco, Google translate might serve.