The Ohmen

Posted by Nigel R on 04/05/2018 11:06:53:

B&Q, M4 rod, £1.55 / meter.

B&Q don't sell M3 rod, and this is stainless steel which is tougher.

M4 rod would involve drilling out the motor back plate, and the nuts end up very close to the motor body. This is particularly difficult if one uses locking nuts as they have a greater depth.

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/05/2018 12:19:39:

Sounds good Andy

Mine has no side or down thrust but then I never do.

Have to admit I'm curious about this, and I know BEB did something on this forum about it which involved a heated debate. I'm strongly leaning towards your way of thinking. Will put no side/down thrust on Peggy S.

On Peggy Sue the thrust line is not very far below the centre of drag so there is no great moment arm to thust the nose up.

Side thrust is to stop a tendency to swing to the left. I simply use a small dab of right rudder on take off.

Even my RWD5 did not need down thrust.

So these things go against what the experts say. All I can say is that it works fro me.

Stainless is tougher than normal steel? I thought they were the same. If anything stainless being more brittle.

Either way m4 nuts - normal ones - are an admittedly tight but nevertheless usable fit on a 35 dia motor.

I've never bothered with luck nuts but that's another debate.

Well, an up date on The Ohmen. The model is almost complete. covering done, all installation done. Just got the cowling and windscreens to do.

The CG came out a fraction in front of the designed location, I didn't expect that!! Saves moving the motor forward which is great.

Weight at the moment is 2 lbs 9 oz and it will only go up by about an ounce or two so well under design target of under 3 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is finished and test flown

In spite of doubts about the CG it actually came out a fraction nose heavy so 20 grams of lead in the tail fixed that

dscf3994.jpg

dscf3998.jpg

dscf4001.jpg

dsc_4721.jpg

dsc_4770.jpg

Fully aerobatic on half power, Does spins of all types with instant recovery on releasing the sticks. Low level inverted was performed within minutes of starting the flight. THat shows the confidence of Stuart who flies my models for the camera.

Posted by Nigel R on 21/05/2018 16:12:55:

Looks fabulous, nice one. AUW is good too.

Million dollar question - what flight times are you getting on that 3S2000 ?

Not sure as to the actual flight times but I can tell you that at maximum power on the ground the motor was drawing 25 amps. Most of the time the model was aerobating on about half power and flight timjes were quite reasonable. Batteries were at 11.8 volts after the flights.

I think you can safely say that you will get very reasonable flight times. Next time I will time the flights and check voltage at the end.

Did some more flying today and got some better data.

I had two flights. The model is aerobatic on half throttle and only needs full power for things like square loops and they really are nice and square.

A flight of eight minutes left me with 11.4 volts in the battery.The first flight was slightly shorter at 7 1/2 minutes and I didn not use full power as much. that left 11.8 volts.

• 3 months later...

The October 2018 RCME is now in the shops and has the Ohmen as a pull out ( 'free' ) plan.

It looks to be what many many modellers want - a plan for a moderate size plane already designed for electric. So no need to redesign for a battery hatch etc. Realistic looks, a specified motor that is actually available, simple construction, aerobatic - could be a very popular model and RCME could easily sell out quickly!

I'd promised myself that I'd concentrate on building only sport scale models in future but when I saw this in the RCME that dropped through the letter box earlier this week I'm tempted to build it even though it's a bit smaller than my usual lower limit of 1.5metres (60" ) wing span.

In the article, Peter comments that it's reduced version (87%) of a slightly bigger design so I wonder which one.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 31/08/2018 20:05:36

I had expected that the Ohmen might have been a smaller simpler version of the Pee Tee Sportster (Crossbreed) due to the styling but obviously I was wrong.

However the family similarities to other Peter Miller designs are apparent in the wings - it seems virtually the same wing as Alley Cat (RCMW Feb2014 MW3678 not the Harry Gilkes Alley Cat ) and almost the same as Swamp Rat but that lacks all dihedral. So anyone with a wing from those models might utilise the old wing. Luckily i have a spare Swamp Rat wing acquired at Wings and Wheels........

Yes, kit is a fairly standard wing but designed specifically for Miss Alliance.

With slight modifications to the wing seat it should take others.

This is one reason I am doing the MAK 15 MP. Just to be different.

Got a date for my first cataract operation so am hoping to get the model ready for air tests on the 16th of this month or I wil have to wait or let Stuart do the test flying.

Posted by kc on 02/09/2018 11:03:21:

I had expected that the Ohmen might have been a smaller simpler version of the Pee Tee Sportster (Crossbreed) due to the styling but obviously I was wrong.

However the family similarities to other Peter Miller designs are apparent in the wings - it seems virtually the same wing as Alley Cat (RCMW Feb2014 MW3678 not the Harry Gilkes Alley Cat ) and almost the same as Swamp Rat but that lacks all dihedral. So anyone with a wing from those models might utilise the old wing. Luckily i have a spare Swamp Rat wing acquired at Wings and Wheels........

Here is my Alley Cat wing laid on top of the Ohmen plan.

img_4327.jpgI didn't get around to building the Fuselage for the Alley Cat (with OS 30FS) due to my house move. Might as well use the wing in an Ohmen build. I'll do the Alley Cat IC Fuselage later using the same wing, as it is virtually identical. Thanks Peter!

All the best with your cataract operation Peter. You will be building/flying again in no time.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 02/09/2018 12:23:26