SEAGULL Bowers Flybaby 10-15cc -

Rocker

Fancy one of these and I have a spare OS 52 four stroke engine but I do not think the OS 52 four stroke will be man enough for this kit .The Seagull Bowers Flybaby weights 7.7ibs the wing loading is 777sq feet .Anyone have one of these kit and what engine will fly this OK .I do not want to put the OS 52 in it only to find it struggles to fly it.The recommended ic engine is a 15cc but I have never been able to convert that to what size four stoke that is ie 52,60 or 80 ?

Edited By Rocker on 19/06/2018 17:43:20

I have one of these models, I fitted a Saito 82 four stroke (14cc approx) and a 14*7 APC prop, it flies very well, half throttle most of the time. No vices. A good quality kit that is easy to assemble too.

The model can be flown in a scale like manner and will do loops/rolls/immelmans/stall turns/spins etc.The designer used to do these in the full size in the USA (but not allowed on the UK register!).

The 82 gives a comfortable amount of power but doesn't overpower it. Something like a 70 FS would be ok as well. I think a .52 would be just about ok for straight and level but marginal considering the capabilities of the model.

Pic shows the Saito installation in mine. (see my album for some flying shots)

p1020752 (fileminimizer).jpg

I am mostly in agreement with the others but i think it would be ok on the 52 if somewhat sedate. I fly a 72 inch model of a similar weight on an enya 53 4 stroke and only need half throttle for floating about.

Certainly i wouldnt use more than an 80 4 stroke and even then i would be looking at something fine pitch when it came to the prop.

• 4 years later...