Getting the young ones involved

cymaz

Very nice...........but I often wonder whether expensive toys like this are bought more for the gratification of the parents, rather than for the benefit of the children. Would that young man be just as amused by knocking together a go-cart from a length of scrap wood and some old pram wheels?

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/07/2018 09:08:50:

Very nice...........but I often wonder whether expensive toys like this are bought more for the gratification of the parents, rather than for the benefit of the children. Would that young man be just as amused by knocking together a go-cart from a length of scrap wood and some old pram wheels?

If you read the Youtube comments it was home-made, not bought. There you go, a way to extend your model building and spoil the grandkids into the bargain! "No dear, I'm not building MYSELF another toy aeroplane, it's for OUR grandchildren".. Pile on the guilt, buy yourself some easy day-out pointslaugh

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/07/2018 11:08:37:

If you read the Youtube comments it was home-made, not bought. There you go, a way to extend your model building and spoil the grandkids into the bargain! "No dear, I'm not building MYSELF another toy aeroplane, it's for OUR grandchildren".. Pile on the guilt, buy yourself some easy day-out pointslaugh

Same difference - maybe the many hours spent building the toy could have been better spent over the local field with a simple chuckie and teaching the lad the principles of flight and trimming. Not criticism intended, it's a good piece of modelling in toy form. Fancy a Corsair ? **LINK**

My father made both my pedal cars from wood and pram wheels but it was during the war when there was nothing else available. When I was a little older pram wheels were used to make my wagon which was raced down the hills on the local Council estate which was new and so had the smoothest roads - and no cars!

So that home made pedal plane won't necessarily stop the young lad going on to make things himself.

Geoff

Am I the only one that thinks that the kid in the video isn't realy interested ?
He looks like he's only doing what he's been told & would rather be playing with, or doing something else.

IMO to get him interested in aeroplanes his dad would have been better buying him a foamy chuck glider, some paint & a few stickers of the kid's choice (probably some TV cartoon characters). Then letting the lad decorate the model before taking him out to chuck it around at a local playing field.

In a nutshell that would be getting a young one involved.

• 4 months later...

Sorry if my story here is going to bore you all but having just looked at the thread and video, I can't help but relate it.

Like many of us I suspect, I started building 1/72 Airfix planes as a young boy in the late 60's. Where my interest in historic aircraft came from is completely unknown as except for my late father's National Service, not a single family member has ever worked with or around them, nor made model aircraft.

Dad did try by making me one of those K.K. rubber powered Spitfire kits and thought he'd show me how to fly it around the back garden... Of course that didn't work so it hardly encouraged me and he'd not realised that I'd have been more interested if he'd let me help or at least watch him build it, rather than just see it finished before he wound it up and threw it into the air with predictable results. Of course, he knew nothing about trimming, CG, etc.

What really got me going was watching the father of one of my schoolmates, building in his mancave. The smell of balsa and dope. Being allowed to examine the models and ask questions.... Then, one day he gave me the K.K Senator kit and told me to go and build it. If I got stuck I could ask him and when it was done he'd show me how to fly it... He was a member of the Leeds club and they used to fly at Elvington.

It was all free flight and after the Senator I built and flew open rubber and A2 glider as a junior but it was the diesel powered scale and sport models that really drew my attention and more or less all I built until I saw the benefits of r/c about ten years ago.

The point being that however or whatever brings someone into the hobby doesn't matter. If there's any interest at all it will develop in it's own way... As a child I was introduced to model railways and model boats much more than aircraft but never had an interest in either. It was always aircraft and the history of flight that had me hooked.