I was a bit too late in taking back control...

David Davis

I was doing some instructing last Thursday on my favourite ARTF trainer, the Seagull Boomerang. You reach a stage with beginners where you let them try to sort out their own difficulties before taking back control. Unfortunately I was too late taking back control from my trainee, both he and I became disorientated and this is what happened to my Seagull Boomerang.

Unfortunately the model crashed into the corner of a builder's yard. The builder had given me two quotes which I felt were too expensive so it was a bit embarassing for me to go round there to ask for the bits! He didn't seem to mind.

Fortunately my beloved Enya 50 survived unscathed.

enya 50 and boomerang.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 24/08/2018 11:03:19

The label on the Boomerang II states that the model is suitable for a 40-55 two stroke eflightray and I had disabled the throttle control on the slave transmitter. My trainee, a skilled welder, wants to restore the model. I have given him all of the bits and told him it's not worth it! I can buy a new one for €99.

I am currently trying to teach an elderly debutante. My field drops away from the pilot box view. It gives an easy low circuit. But on a number of occasions, when it disappears from sight, he looks in horror, and me, still hearing an engine, holds last good guess. Has worked so far. But it's REALY welcome to see it come back to view.

I agree with Mike, that is very repairable.

cyano all the fuse side bits, epoxy the formers and very light glass cloth along the outside of the damaged bit of fuse side ( if you put heavy polythene over the glass and squeegee it and leave to dry it'll come out smooth and need minimal sanding), couple of bits of profilm and it's done

Ps what do you call a Boomerang that doesn't come back?

Alex

I have better things to do with my time than spend it repairing a model which only costs €99 new! I must be too rich in my old age! Guess all of that time in public service where they took 12% of my wages each month and invested it for me finally paid off!

My trainee fancies the challenge, I've got other projects to keep me occupied.