Seagull Mosquito weight

Ronos

Hi, there are a couple of threads on the forum regarding the Seagull Mosquito, but rather than butt in on someone else's thread, I thought I would post a new thread. I am looking for some guidance on the weight of said model. The manual says 13.7-14.1lbs or 6.2-6.4Kg. Right now, I have just had mine on the scales and it is, 15.4lbs or 6.943Kg.which is about 1lb 3oz or 543g over weight, that's with everything in, two battery pks one for the RX and one for the retracts, rx, and I can't see where I can lose over a pound of weight and this is before I have checked the COG, or would it be OK at that weight.

Ronos, the issue with "heavy" is that it flies fast so that's no problem, but here is the twist,,,,take off and landings are faster.

Not a problem if you have a very long smooth runway, but more pressure on you if you need to "spot" land it.

See how the C of G looks, you might need the batteries up front, if not shed one (I am using a 3S2200 wedged in the nose!). I spoke to George at 4-Max and have a 20A BEC, he said with that rating (it can handle even higher over load currents) a stalled U/C servo wold just burn out without affecting the RX.

7 Kg or a bit over should be okay, anything over 8 Kg then diet time!

Hope that helps.

If it was me...go for 130mm as the other guys say its good, move as much about as you can for 130mm (even change the tail wheel if needed).

As you said, there is not a lot you can do about the weight, so don't worry too much.

I think "us" IC guys will always come out heavy if it was designed for electric, but that's just the way it is, far more important to get the C of G at 130mm as you can easily move things back if you want after a few flights.

Best to see where the C of G is and work at the moment (your engines are slightly heavier and you don't have ali spinners), lots of options for you so no worries at the moment.

PS if you need a different tail wheel, let me know and I could make a couple for us (good incentive for me to get on with it!) as I am living in denial until my engines are in wink

Yes, it has flown. It is sensitive to the elevator, you really don't need much throw. The ailerons on the other hand are not that powerful, so it can seem worse than it as they feel unbalanced. Lots of aileron travel think I am using 15mm ish and about 8mm on the elevator seems good. Other than that it is nice, a bit of adverse yaw, so a bit of aileron differential helps it. On the whole pretty well behaved now, just don't provoke it, it will bite.

I would set the elevator rates as low as you can Chris. In general I take the low rate from the kit instructions and set my low rate about a bit lower and high the same. With a recommendation of 15 I would probably go for 10 and 15. I work on the basis that I should have my bases covered with this at least for the maiden flight. I start with high for takeoff but take great care to not yank at the stick until well clear of the ground. Its also my standard procedure to belly land somewhere soft in the event that the model is 'uncontrollable' in pitch. Its something I have done only twice but its better to do that than try to land and smash the undercarriage. I usually find that most warbird manuals have way too much elevator deflection so ignore them now. As you have a recommendation from Richard of 8 then I would use 8 low and 12 high? something like that.

Personally I don't use any expo until the model is flown and even then its rare I use any and I have never found the need to use more than 10%. I agree with Richard that the argument about whether to use it or not could rage for a week so best not to get into it. I think his recommendation is pretty sound, if you use it normally then use a bit, if you don't then don't.

As for balance, I would go right way up as Richard suggests with gear up and no fuel. This is going to be the model tail heavy condition the model will see so even if its a shade tail heavy two tanks of fuel and lowering the gear will fix it.

I would suggest getting the gear retracted asap on the maiden though. Get the drag off the model, clean up the airframe and go from there.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 27/08/2018 23:44:09

I made a ply plate that fits in the nose so that I can attach the required nose weight as far forward as possible. The ASP 52 2 strokes are light so quit a bit of lead was needed and I am using a 2800 5 cell nicad which is as far forward as possible. As I stay in Johannesburg South Africa I also tend to move the CG forward due to the air density. August is our windy month so we have not been able to fly it yet.

Ronos,

I'll weigh mine again and see what it comes out like (not that its flow yet) although reading here and other places I don't think there is a light one out there (especially IC). If its a little overweight it will just fly a bit faster (okay the stall speed will be higher as it won't actually fly faster... yes yes I know they ballast gliders, but that's off topic).

I can't see the point of adding lead if the RX lipo is mounted in the tail! but once you have done what you can then lead it is to get the C of G.

As mentioned earlier up to 7.5 Kg no real issue, over 8 Kg then a diet would benefit it, There is an advantage of increased mass and that is better penetration in windier conditions...aarrr back to glider ballast again.

Off to the shed with the kitchen scales