Autumn is here...you been flying ?

Went flying yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky but a fair old breeze blowing. Took my entire trainer fleet with me because I had arranged to meet a chap who has been learning to fly with me for the last few months. I felt that I'd been pusing him too hard so yesterday I went back to basics and we spent the whole session just flying left-hand circuits with my non-descript ARTF trainer fitted with a red Irvine 40 up front.

On the third flight I took off and gave him control by holding down the sprung loaded button on my Spektrum DX9. My trainee continued to fly increasingly more accurate left-hand circuits when after about 15-20 minutes there was a vibration from my transmitter and a young lady's voice said, "Warning! System idle!" In other words, he had been controlling the model for the entire flight.

This has never happened before so he must be making excellent progress. We'll do right-hand circuits next time!

Went flying on Sat. sunny all day ,but a fair old wind blowing luckly straight down the strip, flew my "touch and go" fun fly, so addictive-just make certain the wing bands are tight otherwise you end up doing things not intended, next was my new Hobby King foamy Wargo Yak55, what a plane, after experimentation ended up with a £12 pound Turngy motor, watts meter readings were 462 watts, 42 amps,on 3 S this gives enough power to prop hang at one third throttle and the plane flew straight as a dye allowing for it being a light foamy in very gusty weather,all great until the wire under carriage dropped off, my fault I did not glue it in, last to fly was my ME163 Cyril Carr all foam design, a night mare to build, 28 mm inrunner completly encased in foam, 2 min. flight and the motor is hot to touch, but does it look good in the air, new undecarriage bent, batteries charged ready for a repeat tomorrow, trying to decide what to fly for Battle of Brittain day, any ideas, thinking of trying my Defiant.

Yes. At the Break .model holiday in Somerset. I don't fly from the beach but at the grass field. LAst year they actually got a decent field which we are using again this year. Wind very light (unusual for Brean) , nice and warm . Down side is the caravan park say th I s is the last year they will organise the week as we are not financially viable😱😚. So after nearly 40 years. , At Pontins and then Unity, it comes to an end. I've been to 20 plus years.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant day of flying yesterday, sunny and pleasantly warm (24C) the only downside was a bit of a crosswind. For me it was a Laser only day, 3 Models - Radial Rocket (100 power), Taylor Craft (155 power) and Hurricane (180 power).

First flight was the RR but on landing I didn’t spot the ruts that the farmer’s tractor had left in the grass strip, promptly pulled out both u/c mounting blocks! This has prompted me to redesign the (weak) Seagull u/c mountings and introduce ones with torque rods.

The Taylor Craft hasn’t been flown for 6 months or so following a coming together with the wind sock! This destroyed one wing and struts and had been languishing in the workshop until last week when I decided to rebuild it. No problems with the rebuild she flew straight and true and I managed 7 flights in all, what a joy it is to fly with the 155 burbling on slow passes.

The following vid describes far better than words can, the Hurricane:

In all, yesterday I got through the best part of a gallon of fuel!

Cracking good day at the flying field. People learning to fly, WW1, WW2 and a hole host of other craft flying. Even had a master class of how to maiden a very "challenging" model and importantly everyone left with as many bits as the turned up with!

All worth the many walks to the other pits and boy I need to get better organised wink

Yesterday I maidened my new American B-17 Flying Fortress at the the local flying field. When I arrived three of my clubmates were there to offer support and encouragement as this was my first plane with 4 engines or should I say 4 electric motors. On take off she tracked beautifully down the grass runway and when airborne I soon discovered that this big beautiful warbird was no harder to fly than a trainer. With its 74 inch wingspan, it gave it great stability and great presence in the sky. It looked very majestic up there I have to say. When the time eventually came to land, the plane touched very gently on both wheels and rolled to a stop with landing lights on. The only thing I changed on the plane were the stock props which I upgraded to 10x7 master airscrew. Overall I am really glad that I bought this plane as it is a real joy to fly and I cant wait to get it up there again. Ive been flying model planes since May of 1986 and most of my aircraft are IC powered. This is my 5th electric plane and I love it as much as my engine planes.

Posted by pete taylor on 30/09/2018 14:38:20:
Posted by pete taylor on 30/09/2018 10:26:10:

Savex Spitfire Vb converted to Mk1 spec flown on BoB day. Photos courtesy of Michael Morris.Savex Spitfire

Savex Spitfire

Foot in mouth strikes again!...I got the photographer's name wrong, It is of course, the rather talented Michael Morris

That's a really nice Spitfire

Posted by aidan mcatamney on 30/09/2018 15:18:23:
Posted by pete taylor on 30/09/2018 14:38:20:
Posted by pete taylor on 30/09/2018 10:26:10:

Savex Spitfire Vb converted to Mk1 spec flown on BoB day. Photos courtesy of Michael Morris.Savex Spitfire

Savex Spitfire

Foot in mouth strikes again!...I got the photographer's name wrong, It is of course, the r

Similar weather here in central France yesterday. Spent the morning instructing on the Junior 60 and a four-channel electric foamy trainer. In the afternoon I flew my Baron recently fitted with an Enya 29. It needs its side-thrust sorting. Then I flew the Senior Telemaster.

Senior Telemaster

I managed to land everything on the patch this time so things must be improving! Still haven't got the hang of slowing my landing approaches sufficiently using the elevator. I will continue practising. smiley

Posted by David Davis on 01/10/2018 05:41:19:

Similar weather here in central France yesterday. Spent the morning instructing on the Junior 60 and a four-channel electric foamy trainer. In the afternoon I flew my Baron recently fitted with an Enya 29. It needs its side-thrust sorting. Then I flew the Senior Telemaster.

Senior Telemaster

I managed to land everything on the patch this time so things must be improving! Still haven't got the hang of slowing my landing approaches sufficiently using the elevator. I will continue practising. smiley