Autumn is here...you been flying ?

I managed 3 great flights today in windy conditions with my Wot 4 kit built plane ..wind was up to about 28mph here and I stopped when it started raining. This plane is overpowered with a Laser 80 and I certainly used the air brakes bringing it in today with a strong SE cross wind on our runways. Despite the big blow it was good fun flying and the heavy glass covered plane handles strong winds easily and really tracks well. In fact this plane is actually more fun when it’s windy. 😊

There has been no flying for me, for about 20 days now, my trips of virtually every other day, has turned to not 1 a month so it seems.

For me it is about repairs, maintenance and finishing models. These are now mostly completed. The unexplained to me crash of my HK SRE, was probably the result of the fastenings of many of the interplane struts pulling out of the wings. Together with the wafer thin outer tube composite (probably glass fibre) of the top spar failing at possibly both ends, due to the top spar not even reaching the first wing rib. Done now. The list of transfers to finish my models is long.

Sunday is out as I am going to RAF Cosford.

What the heck, Spring will soon be here.smiley Until then, it is a snatched day here and there.

Had a nice few hours flying yesterday, albeit with a 20 - 24mph cross wind blowing which made landing interesting / challenging. Flew the re-engined (Laser 240v) Wots Wot XL, handled the wind as if it was a gentle breeze! Hope to get a full day flying in on Friday.

• 1 month later...

This morning I awoke to the wind howling around the house, I lay in bed, looking out from the window. The sky was a classic lead colour, Gulls flashed past the window scarcely 3 feet away, after some time i realised it was not one or two, it was a flock. I do see them frequently riding the wind currents as the wind climbs over the roof tops. Today was a southerly wind.

I then thought back to not much earlier, maybe 3 to 4 weeks past, when a hawk flashed past me, I did not see it coming, barely perceived where it went. I just knew it was low and fast. That day silent, other times a whoosh, a flash of grey or was it a light brown. Now not many small birds abound. I just know my bird feeder is emptying, apparently at night, strange.

Today would normally be a flying day, not much hope with the wind and its icy blast. By mid afternoon heavy rain had arrived.

I did get out on Wednesday, that is I was thrown out, being called a wuss as my wife departed to golf.

I drove my now customary 10 miles, past the fracking protestors, who had marched up the road earlier in the day, looking like a collection of Druids. I now thought about Trump and fake news. I am starting to get it now. Placards and the BBC talked of earth quakes, Liverpool university talked of earth tremors equivalent of a bag od sugar being dropped on the floor. All a matter of terminology. I am pretty fed up with all the hold ups and 20mph speed restrictions. As to fracking, not a clue.

The track down to the field now has short sections of slimy mud, causing the car to twitch. At the bottom of the track is now something approaching a mud pit, that the American big trucks race through.

At the field i was not surprised to find myself alone. The wind was blowing 16 mph at ground level, 90 degrees across our strip from the south.

With trepidation i risked my Delta, which is treated appallingly, being subjected to the fowlest of weather. Ten long minutes later it was back on the ground, that was not fun. Why bother I thought. My mind drifted back to my days as a glider guider, I would fly on a regular basis in much winder and gusty conditions, in those days it was nose down push the model hard, airbrakes out, if available and force onto the ground. These days, I know the theory, but lack the skill.

I thankfully called it a day, climbed back into the car, made my way up the track and home.

The next day, whilst cutting the lawn at the front, I could but not notice much of the car at the lower levels was covered in mud, at the back of the wheels was caked mud, inches deep. There was no option but to get the hose pipe out and wash much of it of. Far to cold for a proper job.

Well that is the last time I am going to the field before Christmas, it could be Easter if this awful wet and windy weather continues.

I am now waiting for the Swallows and House Martins.

Surely these posts are in the wrong thread, it is now Winter! I've managed to get out once a week, the weather hasn't been too bad here in the East, well apart from today which is wet, windy and 'kin freezing. Planning to get out again on Monday and maybe also Thursday for Christmas flying.

Posted by Peter Miller on 15/12/2018 21:07:47:

On Tuesday it was calm, sunny and cold. I nipped out into the field in front of the house with my Super Scorpion and had one flight. That was enough..Since then it has been too cold for even that

?

Friday morning's flying conditions were nearly ideal for our club's annual pre-Christmas Dinner compulsory flying session on the Herts/Beds border, which is often quite challenging at this time of year...usually wind, rain, snow, fog or a combination of most of the foregoing - a little overcast maybe but the windsock was struggling to decide which side of the pole to hang limply. Flying was a delight...as was the dinner and company.

Friday was nice for flying. . . On Saturday the temperature didn't get about 2 degrees and it was somewhat chilly when the wind blew (read bitter cold).

The temperature this morning (Sunday) has risen to a barmy 7 degrees (woo-hoo, heat-wave) and the wind has died down. . . . . Happy days.

B.C.

Lovely morning, wind down/across

20181216_104900.jpg

Five flights in the "noise" window + one club member visited for a quick chat, can't understand why more weren't at field....too much fun on Friday?

At least the dog walker appreciated the low passes with twin Laser 70's on full chat and came in for a talk about models/engines.

That's two days in the last couple of weeks where the weather has been good enough to fly the Dual Ace....boy does it just love big loops. smiley