Autumn is here...you been flying ?

Saturday was okay flying in the morningimg-20191109-wa0000.jpeg

But today was great as the wind was in the other direction and kept dropping to nearly dead still.

Couple of fights with the Carbon Yak, three flights with the Motion RC P38 L and four training flights with a new chap and were ready to head home when one club member returned and another with his "bird of prey" and glider turned up to carry on.

All in all 8 club members over the 5 hours I was there.

Just got to include the P38 photo laugh It just gets more and more fun to fly

20190823_144532.jpg

Finally got some flying in on Sunday. There was only 3 of us. Very calm straight down the strip. The 30% Glens Cap 232 continues to delight.

Just now fine tuning it for throttle response. It’s very peaky from half stick upward so I need to change the geometry.

Flew my multi-coloured WOT 4 Mark 3 yesterday afternoon and gave my trainee three flights on the electric foamy "We Can Fly," which looks like a copy of an earlier Multiplex design to me. Two of these flights involved him taking off for the first time. There was no wind to begin with but it increased in strength as the afternoon progressed before moderating again as the sun started to set.

The WOT 4 was designed for a 40 two-stroke but I have installed a Thunder Tiger 54 four-stroke in the nose. To get the c of g correct I have added 30 grammes of lead at the rear. The model flies well but still needs quite a bit of up trim to maintain straight and level flight at moderate engine speeds.

wot 4 (1).jpg

we can fly.jpg

P.S. It was not tee shirt and shorts weather yesterday!

It is a me tooooooo, or snap.

Unbelievable weather window, yep, incredible still air, no clouds at any level.

Four Buzzards came out to play, although circling, they held position, rather than climbing in what lift there was. A crow got among them, leading to hand bags.

Ah yes, our paddling pool remains filled, Only three modelers flew , An aerobatic model (electric), that flew numerous times, the propellor could be heard to stall doing some of the extreme moves (at least I think that is what it was). Then my rebuilt Do 335 took to the skies again with the aerobatic pilot doing the honors. I was worried in that the instructions cannot be found at present. I used a CG Calculator program to establish the range.

wp_20191009_12_16_05_pro.jpg

Just incase no one knows a 335.

I then flew my Delta, which now has a new problem, besides me. It has started turning right, to the extent that i ran out of trim. A bit later today i will give it a ganders.

The third model was a KK small FF which I think is a Built up Sportster model now electrified. It flew well, very well. I would build one, other than there are only 2 days a year when the wind is low enough to fly one, Plus compared to the builder of that model, my own would not receive favorable comparisons.

It is surprising how cold your feet become in wellies, even green, in vogue, country style types, with a label (Dunlop). That is when the water laps over the foot part.

Last night, the rain restarted, the partially open local Golf course have closed again. Plus the wind is now nearing gale force, no rain, but do those clouds scud across the heavens.

Four very pleasant flights with the remains of the electric Wot 4. Strip still very boggy at one end and what wind there was blew cross strip but takeoffs into wind and landings from both directions all went well. Thankfully all the sheep have gone on so post flight cleanup was primarily mud, for a change.

Glad I had a full set of thermals on though.

BTC

I almost feel guilty, as there has been no rain now for a good few days, that is during the day, night seems to be another matter altogether. Whereas the news continues to report flooding else where.

It seems that the Environment Agency now accepts local flooding every 2 years, whereas the National Rivers Authorities used a 5 year criteria. It seem s that the EA dredges estuaries far less frequently than the NRA to reduce the back up of water inland and much more That is according to somebody on the radio who was chairman or similar position. No wonder we now see more flooding. Thankfully the sea defenses near us are being re-enforced, albeit very slowly, seems one man and his dog are sometimes at work. It will be finished next year. No I am wrong, I remember that the plan said it was finished early spring, ready for summer.

Today, was exceptionally bright, again compared with the past few days, apparently very little wind, blowing from the North so says the weather forecast.

Most surprisingly the track to our field, looked as dry as a bone, almost duty, except for the odd puddle, here and there.

So how did the flying go, dam cold and it felt much stronger than 10 mph. Just the one flight, Billy no mates says it all, tells the story of how good it was. Non the less, at this time of year you snatch the partial days, when you can.