BMFA subs increase.

Posted by john stones 1 on 18/09/2018 14:15:00:

Our car park is almost a 100 yds away from one flight line, even farther from our other flight line. I know of flightlines where the people almost fly out their car boots, others slightly further back, is it the proximity or the pilots at fault ? what's the answer to this one ?

BMFA handbook item 13.2 layout of RC flying sites

Posted by Mr.B. on 18/09/2018 14:38:46:

Posted by john stones 1 on 18/09/2018 14:15:00:

Our car park is almost a 100 yds away from one flight line, even farther from our other flight line. I know of flightlines where the people almost fly out their car boots, others slightly further back, is it the proximity or the pilots at fault ? what's the answer to this one ?

BMFA handbook item 13.2 layout of RC flying sites

The BMFA handbook only gives guidance to "best practice" and recognises that it cannot apply in all cases. Parking 100m away from the pits/flight line is simply not possible at our site due to its topography - in fact the pits and car park lie adjacent to the most frequently used runway. This has been the case for the 36 years since the club bought the site and no-one has ever been able to find a better layout, despite much thought being put into the subject.

Madness, I hear some of you muttering, but we have a strictly enforced no fly zone and, probably more significantly, a 3m high chain link fence separating the flying area from people and vehicles.

Posted by Erfolg on 17/09/2018 22:41:00:

Matty

If you are correct I will be very disappointed. I had understood that assurances had been made that there would be a clear division of accounts of the NFC from the BMFA members. If this was not made, I can only say I am mistaken.

It is just good practice to be able to understand the financial arrangements of any part of the BMFA and any subsidiary. Without this information it is not possible for any one to truly know the state of the business. Potentially a recipe for surprises that some suspected were possible, others being blissfully unaware.

To be fair the last set of accounts did show separate figures for the NFC financials; the NFC spending last year was clearly visible. My point was that the NFC is not a separate financial entity; it is functionally and financially a part of the BMFA, so there is no hard financial firewall between it and the business as usual accounts. It also seems to rely on the same team that run the association day to day for it’s overall governance and management, bolstered by the volunteers on the ground of course.

Maybe next year, if members try and avoid silly accidents, such as cars getting damaged, a rise next year won't happen. Accidents do happen, but launching a model over a car is asking for trouble..

Problem is that the rise is due to BMFA members submitting claims, as said in the BMFA Mag, one claim was for a prestige vehicle over £15,000. and as a result the £30k NCD might not be forthcoming...

Simple, really. Take it on the chin, and for 2019 take extra care and think before doing something or sending a claim off if it isn't necessary - as all will suffer later on.

Posted by CARPERFECT on 25/09/2018 21:36:28:

The accounts show a £10,000 support donation both last year and this from the BMFA funds to the NFC

I am pretty sure that was budgeted in the original projections for phase 1 rather than being new money, but because the BMFA have taken down the old presentations around the phased funding from the site it's impossible to know for sure.

Good to see a decent write up of what's going on with the insurance in the current BMFA news. yes

"My point was that the NFC is not a separate financial entity; it is functionally and financially a part of the BMFA, so there is no hard financial firewall between it and the business as usual accounts."

Seems like it could be a separate registered company?

No one can complain about anyone giving a donation to the NFC. IMO that is really great, as it does show that its supporters are putting their money where their mouth is. Good for them.

I do not wish to go into detail why I think that it is important that the finances and charging regimes is important. That is beyond I know from personal experience that, where the finances are not transparent, and the charging regime for staff is not clear cut, it is a recipe for an entity to be operating at a loss, whilst apparently more than paying its way.

I now have my BMFA news, having read the relevant section, i am non the wiser. although i am guessing that is the intention, beyond the concept that we all can do better, by considering more rigorously what we do.

Once upon a time, when i was a project manager, safety was very much part of my way of thinking. Why, at work, accidents cost time (just dealing with the aftermath), often money. When younger I saw it could on occasion ruin lives. The concept of safety becomes a way of life, at home, out walking, doing DIY, it is a given. It seems that this may not be the case in all walks of life.

In my case at the flying field, my take offs are away from the club house, the car park, the pit area. I fly small models, for others it is not that simple, as their models rocket from one end of the strip to the other, parallel to all these issues, as their models are bigger and have a longer run to lift of. The same operation, yet necessity, requires more consideration of the risks and how to mitigate them.

However I am not as yet perfect, as i recently was reprimanded, as my horizontal figures of "8" had the model flying towards me at the cross over point. If I altered my flying pattern, the point where the model flies towards the flight line occurs at the outer part of the figure, where often the potential for danger is often less, or issues managed easier.

I do remain disappointed that there are any number of claims. Particularly to members models, in my case, I would accept that it is a risk, that my model will eventually be destroyed, I really would not even try and claim. Car damage is for me different, and other than a freak accident, I expect that the clubs parking regime would ensure that other than an exceptional event, could not realistically occur.