Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

• 20181011_230623.jpg20181011_220525.jpg20181011_220408.jpgHi all,it's been a while sinds i posted due to a pss weekend in Calais,my wife being hospitalised,but i havent been resting. There's a lot to think about when making wing-plugs like servo positions,landing gear,flaps ,ailerons,etc.

Tonight i prepared the wing skins in 2mm balsa. I ordered 125x20 cm planks and glued together 4 pairs.

taped them together,turned them arround,opened the gap and zapped with green zap.Pressed down and sanded the seam right away.No worries for little gaps as the sanding dust fills them up , done20181011_210956.jpg

Trouble in paradise !! The wing section is to thin to take the wheels ! In fact this is what i expected...

I could look for thinner wheels but the ones i ordered are very light and robust and have the right shape.

Only other option is to make the wing section bigger in the area of the wheels. In fact that will make the wing more scale as the real thing has this too (picture)20181017_235216.jpg

So !! back to foam cutting !

First dig-up the profili program and change the inner wing section some 10% thicker,make up some new aluminium ribs and foam blocks. This is only for the first 30 cm of the wing(retract area)This part will now be 73 mm instead of 62 mm thick.I hope that'e enough ! Back to test fit ! Cheers!20181018_221408.jpg

Hi,Chris,the plan is two removable wings,just the first rib will be part of the fuse.Aviation design made the inner section of the wing to be part of the fuse but that one has a wingspan of 3m10...I saw a copy fly on a EDF 128mm and 14s with a weight of 17kg(Jorg Rehm)and did just fine ! My PSS model weighs 8kg,so i'm trying to stay under 12kg auw(EDF)

Before glueing the balsa to the cores,I'm going to add a layer of glass cloth and epoxy to the foam where the openings in the balsa shells supposed to come , this gives me the bottom of the openings later. Pic. for example. Remember this is all done to mould the wings !! I hope you guy's can follow !! It will all be clearer later20181009_195633.jpg

Glueing both upper and bottom shell in one time means everything needs to be ready and in place :30min epoxy will set in not much less time !

Apply the glue to both shells , positioning them on the core ,get the supporting foam parts in place and press the whole down on a flat board.I added all the weight i could find.

Not much later the epoxy started curing...Time for a drink !!smile p20181103_224105.jpg

Hi all !! Need some help on thisone !

Any body here with expereance in wing tube-diameters ? I want to use the smallest possible because it 's going right trough the air duct !

there's room in the wing for dia 30mm going 35cm far in the wing

or dia 35mm going 30cm far in the wing (each side)

Any idea's ? Alu ? carbon ? Wall thickness ?

Splendid and very neat job, Dirk.

As you wrote yourself, I don't suppose your progress and goals are very 'clear' if somebody never worked with or making moulds for composite parts. surprise

I guess it will become more obvious to visitors when you have your moulds ready to be waxed, gel coated and so on.

Keep up the great work. yes

BTW, I didn't notice any 'glass' for that intended celebration... not very 'Belgian' like... angel smile p

Cheers

Chris

Hi,Chris

I'm well awere of the fact that moulding parts can be complicated for unexperianced visitors but i'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.embarrassed

The forms you want to make in polyester or ,in this case epoxy,have to be made first in any material you choose to work with,possible cheap and strong enough so it dusn't deform when handling.Every scratch,line,bump or dent will be there in the moulded part.In fact , this is the easy part crook

And no , i'm not a BEER Belgianangel

cheers ,Dirkcocktail

• 2 weeks later...