Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

After cutting the flaps out of the wing,i'm putting the hinge tube in just above the flap skin,then give the flap a leading edge in a way that 1:wing and flap don't touch

2 :With the flaps up, there's no gap on the upper side

3 :With the flaps lowered ,keep the gap minimum.

As you see in the foto,i first try'd to keep the scale size of the flap but it didn't work because of the difference in thickness at the root and tip of the flap.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20190124_231338.jpgHi all ! To begin with , a very happy Newyear to all off you !

I know it has been too long sinds my last post here but i didn't want to bore anyone with pics off me glassing and sanding.

That's all behind me now as everything regarding the wings is primered and they look good !! Only thing worth pictures are the little bumps on the wings wich are added just before primer .Why these ''unscale'' details ?

Well,i decided to leave the control horns for ailerons and flaps inside the wing and to give these a little more travel i needed the ''bumps''20190122_231130.jpg

Before sanding the primer,i'm going to let them rest a couple of days to harden.

meanwhile,i got the fuselage- mould from under the dust for cleaning ,polishing and waxing.

For those who don't know the history of my first fouga(the PSS version)i'm looking up the construction foto's of the fuselage plug and mould.20190112_213817.jpg

Untill next week !

• 1 month later...

Good evening gents !

After the primer becoming hard,the sanding begins again...Not one of my favorite jobs but very important ! You can't hide any defaults with paint so let's do it right.I prefer dry sanding with 400 grid paper on a sanding block.I know it makes a lot of dust but i hate to mess with water,besides that , you can blow away the dust after sanding,something impossible when you sanded with water,the dust sticks in every corner.I also use sanding guide :Before you start , spray a little black paint from a spray can over the primer.When sanding,try to sand the black away:Thats the moment to stop.The black paint will be in the deepest dents and scratshes so when you sanded all that away , the surface will be flat as a mirror!Don't fool yourself trying to sand away the black paint by following the uneven parts with one edge of the block,keep it flat !

That said and done,there's a big dicision ??to make :Are we doing panel lines or not ?And if we do :When ?before or after the paint ?

I guess it will set me back at least a week but hey , the result counts right ?

If i do it after painting there's no room for error but if i do it before,the paint might fill up the lines...So more testing...

Decided to bring them on BEFORE painting.

Stay tuned !!

20190228_214515.jpg20190228_214522.jpgRight :PANEL LINES !!

After a lot of testing different scratching tools i decided to make something special.

Following a ruler to scratch a line is never been easy ,lots of things can go wrong ,different angle's of the tool , the pressure used to draw ,it all makes crappy lines , believe me !

So this is the plan :I want to draw the lines with a dremel tool equipped with a diamond engraving tip but you can't follow a ruler with this eather.

So, i want to use the dremel as a router , the tip being enclosed by a tube ,and the very end coming out of the tube.

In the pics you can see what i came up with. It replaces the plastic hood on the working end of the dremel.20190228_214543.jpg

With a little hart i started to put on the lines but to my very supprise it worked very well !!Hardest part is to keep the ruler in the same position at all times,especially on curved surfaces !

For special shapes i made templates keeping in mind that the lines are drawn some 3mm from the edge(or the ruler)20190228_214139.jpg