DB Major Mannock

Paul james 8

• 2 weeks later...

Her ladyship now resides in my garage. The weather is too dark when getting back from work to assemble it in the evenings. Next weekend it will all be put together if the weather holds. We’ll then run the engine up again.

That’s a 26x10 Aerostar prop on the bench

5d86bc67-ec13-4723-bc3e-7f6ac209b835.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 22/11/2020 14:20:33

Checked CG, sits level at plan @ 143mm. RCPlanes cg calculator says 160mm

Total weight : 12.8kg / 452oz

Total wing area of two wings : 3008”sq

wing cubic loading of 4.7 ( trainer loading) or 22oz/ sq ft ( 1 1/2 lbs per sq ft)

Have I got the maths correct!

Edited By cymaz on 28/11/2020 15:22:33

Actually, I think it's slightly better than that.

3008" sq = 21' squ (actually slightly less at 20.88)

and weight = 452/16 = 28.25 lbs

so wing loading = 28.5/20.88 = 1.36 lbs/squ ft

But not a small model - in fact officially a large one

Looks good - let's hope it looks even better in the air.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 28/11/2020 15:59:36

• 4 months later...

Not posted a while. We’ve had issues with the reduction drive. On checking it out after the ground run it was noticed that the toothed belt was not quite the correct profile for the pulleys. Changed the pulleys to poly vee belts. This didn’t work as the drive pulley was too small a radius causing belt slip. Went back to the toothed belt with correct profile...these have snapped on starting?

Anyhow, this has all happened while the plane is sitting safe on the ground. After a meeting we’ve decided to place the engine further forward on a mounting plate between the original engine bearers. It involves just filling in the exit holes for the sparking plug and exhaust pipes. The pipes will now exit under the middle of the rocker covers, slightly more scale..ish. The biggest prop I should be able to use is a 20x 6 for the Evo 33gx, not a great change from the original.  This will provide  much more robust and reliable power train.

The aluminum plate in the photo is just a template. The real one will cover the whole of the bearer and provide a useful shelf for some ballast

BFC475A2-B03C-42F6-B1B5-E9FE5E105F23.jpeg

D7878A3D-8F70-46AC-A3B4-EB221E3F33ED.jpeg

Edited by cymaz

• 1 month later...

Just come back from flying her for the first time.

Everything was great. I had to mix in throttle / rudder to help with keeping it a bit straighter on take off. The plan cg of 5 5/8” (143mm) was dead right

The Evolution 33gx and 20x6 Aerostar prop is just the right combination for slow, scaled controlled flight. Needs a tiny amount of power on landing and a blip of throttle to flare out.

0243D9D3-252D-4E46-B0A6-397F1D3BA40C.jpeg

B52499D9-479E-4956-9DC6-607C5414B9C1.jpeg

• Like 4

I noticed that too Ron.

I was watching some vidoes yesterday of some flying with sheep in the next field.

I wonder if a service could be offered to round sheep up with planes?

I used to fly in a public park many years ago and quite often dogs would take a liking to the plane and chase it round the field, which was great until landing time!

Great result there Cymaz. I was worried when I saw the length was only 4m 45s and there was no take off until 2m30s but I am glad it went well for you.

Many thanks ☺️....The second flight was better. Dialled in some throttle/rudder mix. Took out all the trim and put it in the Futaba servo Sub trim menu. I know that’s a cheat but it won’t do any harm with this plane.

Also this landing , I’d forgotten to turn off the high idle switch. Greased the second landing ?