2.4 GHz tranny black ribbon

Terry Whiting

Eric,

I originally thought that the relative proximity of the attenuated transmitter would be enough to overcome the signal loss and overide the signal from the remote Tx with Aerial extended. That is until, as I said earlier, exactly the scenario described arrived, and a one or two models were saved, because of the servo twitching. I.E. not theory but pracise.  If, on seing servo jitter you thought it was due to overloading, you would move the Tx away to see if it clears wouldn't you? If it gets worse it's a fair bet that your assumption was erroneous. I don't think it is guaranteed to work, as it depends on the relative attenuations, but it seems worth it to me, that is for those who are still on 35MHz.  These sorts of problems and  poor pegboard discipline are what decided me to sell all my 35MHz gear over a year ago. I haven't regretted it for a moment.  One club I know who operate a peg-on system allow two (or more) people to put their pegs on the same channel on the pegboard! 

I agree with you that there is no compelling reason for pegs or pennants on 2.4GHz My interest in procedures for 35MHz now only extends to self interest in that I don't want someone else's out of control model in the back of my head! 

Myron,- As far as the poor old 'output tranny' on modern sets I quote from the JR website:

Once you've activated the low-throttle failsafe, do a range check. With your model on the ground, simply collapse the antenna on your 8103/9303, or remove the antenna on any of the 10 channel systems. With the engine running at mid throttle, walk away from the model until the engine goes to the pre-set position. Count your paces - you should be at 60 paces or greater.

They ought to know, they are hardly likely to design a set that will suffer premature failure when owners follow their own advice!

Whilst as a stand alone frequency I can see the logic of the 'no Pennat-no Peg' argument , when you look at the bigger picture there is merit for continued use of Frequecy control.  There are many options for model flying frequecies, as Eric pointed out (and 27mhz is still available for the brave), so we have a systems in place to control who flies on what frequecy to avoid 'shoot downs'. 

The penant helps identify whos on what  frequency (its much easier to spot 2.4Ghz with the antenna length but this is not always the case:  I 'saved' a flyer who had swaped from one A/C on 2.4Ghz to another on 35Mhz and forgot to extend the antenna, I turned round and spotted the orange ribon).

Using a peg on  System also helps indicate how many fliers are airborne (taken one step futher a Named peg wil also indicate whos flying) useful on sites with limits on how many aircraft may fly at one time.

When the time comes that we all fly on 2.4Ghz then yes we can do away with pennants and pegs but until then we should accept that the rules are there for a reason and get on and enjoy our flying

Hi all

At my club I seemed to be the only one using the black pennant which I personally find a pain in the b**t. Having already been mentioned - I also did notice that these pennants where at a premium at the Nationals.  Below is a extract from our latest club newsletter stating the BMFA will be withdrawing this ruling from the next issue of the BMFA Members Handbook.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z220/AlanB7/Picture0035.jpg

Regards

Al

Bert,

presumably you now wear it on your arm!

Pegs:  here's a completely unsubstantiated thought, the spring is a significant wavelength at 2.4GHz, could easily distort the polar diagram of the aerial, and the peg material particularly if it is damp wood could absorb some of the signal? Has the safety of modifying the aerial in this way been proven?

Terry Whiting wrote: "As youself I visited a club, this one was holding an electric flight open day. On arrival I was asked if I was participating in the flying, if so please hand my transmitter in at the transmitter pound tent. At the tent I handed my transmitter to the pound official, "What's this" he snapped, "my transmitter" says I, " I know it's a transmitter, wheres your b****** black ribbon" I Another flyer offered a ribbon but I declined his kind offer, as I was going to give that pedantic pillock the benefit." If that rude man had said this to me, I'd have tied the ribbon around his bludy neck! On a different note: Surely one of the points behind having a ribbon tied to the tip of one's ariel acted as a warning flash. Accidents do happen all over the shop, and nobody wants an ariel poking them in the eye whilst peering into a flight box. In fact, I'm surprised that we aren't required to have a sponge or ping-pong ball in the appropriate colour firmly attatched over the ariel tip. Also, black is quite a visible colour (in daylight), that's why the RAF paint their Hawk and Tucano fleets black.