BMFA SUBS

CARPERFECT

Posted by Rocker on 27/11/2018 19:58:53:

The BMFA can't win ,if the stop producing the mag people would moan about not having a mag .I think for £38 a year we get a good deal .Try joining a golf club .that £38 might just buy one round of drinks

My sailing club membership back in 1995 when I was forced to leave the sport because of injury was about £130/year. It's probably double that now. Of course for that we got a club house with bar, showers and changing facilities plus the use of a large reservoir and a dinghy park. That included membership of the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) which is the equivalent of the BMFA but older and, in the case of coastal big yacht clubs, a bit posher

Our club subs went down by £4 for the next year so my cheque (£81) was the same as last year's AGM. That's a bargain for what enjoyment I get out of membership. Incidentally, my cheque for club subs is about the only one I write apart from one for the guy who services the car.

Geoff

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 21:48:24:
Posted by Keith Sharples on 27/11/2018 20:58:23:

find other insurance for probably more money without benefits

FPVUK £19.99.

Steve

How many clubs recognise and accept that insurance? Also most clubs are affiliated to the BMFA, for affiliation you need 6 members or more. If members migrate to the FPVUK insurance all of a sudden no affilation and loose the benifits and backup and clout of the BMFA......................end of the club!

Edited By Keith Sharples on 27/11/2018 21:59:54

I hope those that constantly moan about the BMFA contribute in more positive ways to other aspects of the hobby.

Where else is everything covered by he BMFA offered by any organisation. I shudder to think of the cost were it to be 'privatised'.

The cost of joining the BMFA is peanuts for what benefits you get .

We would now be restricted to 250gr models with a 400' height restriction without the efforts of the BMFA.

It must be very disheartening to Andy Symons who gives his all to our hobby to have to read the criticism of a VERY small minority on a daily basis. Keep up the good work Andy and acknowledge that your efforts are appreciated by 99% of the membership!

Posted by john stones 1 on 27/11/2018 22:31:31:

Looks like the number of Country members might drop a fair bit, they can request going on club lists now with the new online doodah. yes

Quite agree even though I a am club member I always preferred Country membership as it was easier to pay the BNFA direct. No faffing about with SAEs, trying to catch the Membership Secretary if you miss the Clubs AGM, etc.I have now, thanks to the 'Go; thingy affiliated my membership to my club and paid my 2019 fees direct to the BMFA as usual.

Suspect more Country members will come in from the cold.

One other bonus of using :Go' immediately on making payment the insurance certificate for the year is loaded onto you profile.

Moan moan, it's £4 for christs sake thats 1p per day!!!!!! Either pay it and get the insurance, mag and benefits or find other insurance for probably more money without benefits, thats your choice whats the point of moaning about it. I didn't give it a thought, just paid it as ITS A GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!

I think you are being unfair? Surely members of an association have the right to discus decisions made on their behalf? Reading other posts it looks like insurance can be obtained more cheaply and we should question if the bmfa could get a better deal. We are also giving little info on expenditure so asking questions here is the right way to go as there is no official bmfa forum

Posted by Roger Price 1 on 27/11/2018 22:22:52:

I hope those that constantly moan about the BMFA contribute in more positive ways to other aspects of the hobby.

Where else is everything covered by he BMFA offered by any organisation. I shudder to think of the cost were it to be 'privatised'.

The cost of joining the BMFA is peanuts for what benefits you get .

We would now be restricted to 250gr models with a 400' height restriction without the efforts of the BMFA.

It must be very disheartening to Andy Symons who gives his all to our hobby to have to read the criticism of a VERY small minority on a daily basis. Keep up the good work Andy and acknowledge that your efforts are appreciated by 99% of the membership!

I don't do disheartened. It's human nature, especially where money is concerned, for people to really focus on a narrow viewpoint. Problem is this often misses the wider picture and can miss sometimes vitally important matters. the BMFA news is a case in point, it has a cost of about 75p an issue currently which includes the postage. Currently its value far far outweighs it's cost and its an excellent method of getting some notices to every member that we are mandated to do, I firmly believe that currently the BMFA news saves us money and that going to an electronic only or half and half would probably end up costing more.

It seems to be the nature of all forms of social media to amplify the negatives too, its important to provide balance and point out the positives otherwise social media can be quite destructive.

Posted by Kevin 216 on 28/11/2018 07:47:41:
Posted by john stones 1 on 27/11/2018 22:31:31:

Looks like the number of Country members might drop a fair bit, they can request going on club lists now with the new online doodah. yes

Quite agree even though I a am club member I always preferred Country membership as it was easier to pay the BNFA direct. No faffing about with SAEs, trying to catch the Membership Secretary if you miss the Clubs AGM, etc.I have now, thanks to the 'Go; thingy affiliated my membership to my club and paid my 2019 fees direct to the BMFA as usual.

Suspect more Country members will come in from the cold.

One other bonus of using :Go' immediately on making payment the insurance certificate for the year is loaded onto you profile.

You also get an email with the membership documents attached straight away too. That is whether you join yourself or through a club.

Posted by Doug Campbell on 28/11/2018 08:48:15:

Moan moan, it's £4 for christs sake thats 1p per day!!!!!! Either pay it and get the insurance, mag and benefits or find other insurance for probably more money without benefits, thats your choice whats the point of moaning about it. I didn't give it a thought, just paid it as ITS A GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!

I think you are being unfair? Surely members of an association have the right to discus decisions made on their behalf? Reading other posts it looks like insurance can be obtained more cheaply and we should question if the bmfa could get a better deal. We are also giving little info on expenditure so asking questions here is the right way to go as there is no official bmfa forum

Doug

Discussion should be encouraged. However its improtant to actually consider carefully all points being raised. The same insurance package cannot be obtained more cheaply elsewhere. It is possible to get cheaper insurance elsewhere which is a very different thing, lower levels of cover cost less when it comes to insurance. Also you are not buying insurance you are buying membership which is a whole package and it's very important to look at the whole package.

I suspect very few people buy their car r home insurance based purely on the cost and they check what is covered and to what level.

Doug

Discussion should be encouraged. However its important to actually consider carefully all points being raised. The same insurance package cannot be obtained more cheaply elsewhere. It is possible to get cheaper insurance elsewhere which is a very different thing, lower levels of cover cost less when it comes to insurance. Also you are not buying insurance you are buying membership which is a whole package and it's very important to look at the whole package.

I suspect very few people buy their car r home insurance based purely on the cost and they check what is covered and to what level.

Posted by Steve J on 28/11/2018 08:26:40:
Posted by Keith Sharples on 27/11/2018 21:59:03:
Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 21:48:24:

find other insurance for probably more money without benefits

FPVUK £19.99.

If members migrate to the FPVUK insurance all of a sudden no affilation and loose the benifits and backup and clout of the BMFA.

Not everybody flies in a club environment and not all clubs are affiliated to the BMFA. You said the other insurance would probably be for more money. Actually the alternatives (FPVUK and LMA) are cheaper.

I really do think that the BMFA needs to have a good look at what it spends money on because if they lose more members they are going to end up in a nasty spiral.

Steve

I can assure it always does and is looking at what money is spent on.

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/11/2018 08:09:10:

Kevin, presumably you still had to pay your club's membership fee directly to them via cash, cheque, bank transfer etc. What did your club say about paying BMFA? No axe to grind, just curious.

Based on comments at the various workshops I am running most clubs will be actively encouraging members to look after their BMFA membership themselves.

Posted by Steve J on 28/11/2018 09:07:11:

Reading other posts it looks like insurance can be obtained more cheaply and we should question if the bmfa could get a better deal.

Looking at the budget, I suspect that the various associations are paying a similar amount per member for insurance, it is just that the BMFA spend money on lots of other things.

Steve

Which could quite validly be re-written as "it is just that the BMFA provide a lot more support and services to model flying and its members" all depends on whether you have a positive or negative outlook I suppose..

I have just had my renewal notice through the door today.

Renew online today, it says in big bold capital letters, and also underlined to give it more forcefulness.

So like the good little boy that I am I goes on line, only to be told that if I do it before Dec 1st it will count as this year only. Daft ain't it

Nigel N

Posted by Steve J on 27/11/2018 13:23:37:

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 27/11/2018 12:31:38:

When you consider the CAA regularly mention what a "very good thing" it is to have a publication pretty much guaranteed to land on every members doormat 6 times a year

If the CAA think that the BMFA News is a "very good thing", how about asking them for some cash to help pay for it?

Steve

Exactly !