Keeping Warm In Winter Weather

Capt Kremen

Hopefully, many of you have managed to escape 'The Sound of Music', 'Mary Poppins' & 'Jungle Book' on the box for the x+million time and get out to enjoy a flight or three. I have been that fortunate, though the last few days have been a bit nippy to say the least!

What clothing do you die hard winter flying folk find best? (I do appreciate this will be rather subjective & personal choice).

I have tried, (with varying degrees of success!), assorted long-john/thermal vests from the likes of 'M&S', 'Mountain Equipment'. Gloves, mittens in full & finger-less style in wool, leather, cycling/running style. (The latter made my hands colder if anything!). Woolly hats various, scarves and neck warmers too. Socks - thermal for the use of etc. etc.

So Polar explorers and cold weather model fliers, what's your warmest clobber?

Hiking boots , outdoor windproof coat. Cheap gloves with thumb finger top cut off . No layers apart from brushed cotton shirt and cord trousers . Don’t do layers Got trousers with fleece lining but find them too much ! Bright sun , no wind , temperature at zero best flying weather for me Normally 3-4 of us out too ! Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 04/01/2019 17:47:29

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 04/01/2019 17:48:27

Aldi / Lidl do thermal undergarments, excellent value for money. I was out flying both yesterday and today with today being much colder not getting above 3 degrees. I wear a thermal base layour (long sleeves), thin fleece, heated waistcoat (motorcycle one) and padded oversuit. I tend not to wear gloves whilst flying but in between flights I put some on plus I have a couple of Zippo hand warmers. I also wear a hat with ear flaps. This combination sees me comfortably warm with the heated waistcoat set on low.

Other things that help when it’s really cold, hot porridge in the morning and soup at lunchtime.

It was minus 5 degrees here yesterday, but still managed to enjoy a few hours at the field and kept nicely warm. I wear base layer thermals, then lined trousers and a minimum of three layers up top - total of five layers yesterday though. Over the thermals that's a woolen long sleeved shirt, thin fleece, thicker fleece and outer shower/wind proof coat. Thick faux fur lined Russian style flying hat with ear flaps and fingerless gloves, two pairs of thermal socks and walking boots. Did have a couple of themal hand warmers with me but didn't need them.

Mind you there wasn't a breath of wind. Minus 5 degrees with windchill would be a different matter.

Hiking boots, cheap Ski trousers, cheap unlined Ski jacket (snow skirt keeps draughts out) with fleece and lumber jack cotton shirt, Faux lined Russian tank driver hat with flaps and fingerless gloves. If really cold/windy I break out the transmitter muff & ski goggles.

Hi

last year my wife and I were walking up Snowdon in wind and damp when we decided we were getting quite wet on the leg area so stopped to put our waterproof trousers on . The warmth that then came to me I was amazed at .

Now to be fair I have not tried this yet when down the patch but may give it a go . otherwise for me its a wool hat finger less gloves . Had a sort of neck thing for xmas dont know what they are called but you put it over your head and its sits around you neck but it can stretch up around face etc also set to give a go at the patch.

Regards

Tony J

I'm not keen on flying in a coat as I find it restrictive so I tend to add a thermal vest if the temperature is in single figures. I use RAF style flying gloves or the special (similar) gloves with thermal liners that were being sold by a forum member to take the edge off the wind chill - or in very cold and windy conditions, I have a transmitter muff that I won from the advent competition on this forum 3 years ago.

My fingers have suffered from Raynauld`s disease for a very long time (inherited I think). Even touching a cold car steering wheel in summer causes them to turn white due to the blood flow being shut down in order to protect my vital organs. This then just gets worse since there is no blood to warm them. Next step is gangrene. The only quick cure is to immerse them in warm water. Tried those £100 gloves but even with recently purchased silver loaded liners they are useless. Heated gloves, not the slightest effect.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Before rediscovering aeromodelling I fished and stalked deer and still shoot regularly. The coldest I ever endured was near the top of a big hill in the Borders where I sat out for about 3 hours one dawn in late December and on return to the RV, the propane bottle had frozen. Estimated minus 10 C.

Rohan thermals, 2prs socks, leather lined wellies, thermal trousers also Rohan, thick shirt, thin fleece, thick fleece and shooting CAMO coat on top. Hat with flaps, insulated waterproof Rohan gloves. No problem, although it was too cold for the roe deer to be on the hoof.

A lot of this is quite effective for flying too. Other makes of thermals are available but the Rohan’s have lasted extremely well and owe me nothing. Their thick gloves are brilliant but for flying I have a pair of leather, fleece lined mitts which leave the palms and all digits free but protect the backs of the hands which I believe is the major heat loss. A Buff, preferably the thermal version, is good instead of a scarf.

The mantra for wading in January is lots of thin layers. I once waded in the Dee in grue, floating slushy ice (think Slush Puppy) which means the water is below freezing point and ice is forming on the river bed and floating to the surface. Est. 29F. Thermals, fleece trousers and breathable waders plus wading socks were fine, but the fishing was cr*p and I lost my nerve when the gillie said I’d probably got 30 seconds if I fell in and promptly drove off.

BTW Wings of War on the telly is moderately entertaining albeit superficial.

Anyway, lots of thin layers and a wind proof outer layer if there’s more than a slight breeze. If all else fails, retreat to hut and engage bullshot (beef consommé with celery salt and a slug of vodka) but don’t fly afterwards. Other spirits are available.

BTC

For visits to Ivanhoe Beacon when it is cold.

Full ski gear including googles. No flesh is exposed. Fingerless gloves with sheepskin mitts when not flying.

But the most important thing is a transmitter shield. Basically an open box with a hole for the aerial which protects your hands from the wind.

A boiler suit is a good cheap way of keeping your temperature up, it gives an overall layer and importantly covers the join between shirt and trousers. Plus it helps keep you clean. A lifetime of working on building sites taught me how important keeping warm is.

My wife bought me a pair of Wolf Wear riding gloves for Xmas a few years back. My current favourite. They are thin enough to retain stick feel, so are a compromise. Finely sized for a good fit. I've adjusted to DLG launching with them this winter. (A slightly warmer form of flying than most... for a low launcher like meblush)

**LINK**

They produce about a dozen types. Pretty sure this is the one.

Ray

Posted by Bruce Collinson on 04/01/2019 20:00:57:

on return to the RV, the propane bottle had frozen. Estimated minus 10 C.

I think your thermometer needs recalibrating as the freezing point of propane is -188 °C! The boiling point of propane is -42°C so it stops vapourising properly around that point but the contents are still liquid and unless you're in a polar region, propane should continue to work in any temperature we will ever experience. Perhaps you were using butane? Its boiling point is just below freezing so it won't work once temperatures get to around 0 °C and it freezes at a relatively balmy -140 °C.

What probably happened is that ice formed in the regulator and froze it shut - which can even cause the bottle to stop feeding at ambient temperatures above freezing due to the gas expanding.

In case you or anyone else encounters this again, a very useful tip I was once given was to install the regulator "upside down" so that the vent hole is at the bottom, allowing condensation to fall away from the diaphragm to prevent ice forming on it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/01/2019 13:08:39

Another vote for leather wellies (if you're flush) alternatively, neoprene lined wellies - 4mm is usually enough with fine woollen socks not thick as they mustn't be a tight fit. You'll never have cold feet again. Lined trousers make a huge difference, Rohan's Winter Bags - wind proof, well insulated and comfortable to walk and work in too. Heavy gauge fleece lined chinos from Orvis are unbelievably warm if the weather is really severe, not cheap but made for the American market where they understand cold weather (cheap UK alternative is Cotton Traders lined trousers). The Orvis chinos are brilliant on the slope but a bit bulky if you're walking a lot. Don't forget the silk thermals top and bottom. The above is personal experience working as a farm vet in rural Shropshire, so I know of what I speak - standard garb was the Rohans and Le Chameau wellies as soon as it got chilly. ( And always waterproof overtrousers! )

Edited By Old Geezer on 05/01/2019 16:05:47