Chilli Wind Built - up wing.

Hi folks, I am about to start a Chilli Wind build ( I still have my free plan! ) and I am keen to do a built up wing. I am FAIRLY sure I could knock one up well, but I believe that you can never have too much knowledge or other people's experience :D

I would be really interested to hear/see how anyone else has made one - how many ribs, material sizes used and so on.

Thanks for any information anyone might be able to provide

Mine is...

10 ribs. Equally spaced. All 3/32.

1/4 square hard balsa spars. 1/16 webbing. 1/4 leading edge and trailing edge. 1/8 false leading edge and false trailing edge.

Fully sheeted with 1/16.

Solid ailerons as per plan.

Joined with medical bandage and pva.

Has survived a crash that totaled the fuselage!

Hope that helps.

Thank you Nigel! That sounds lovely and simple. Two spars - one top one bottom and ten ribs per panel? I particularly like your joining method: I have always been very paranoid about wing joins and gone for epoxy and glass - I will try that. How did you cover it? Iron on or nylon?

Gutted to hear of your crash, BTW

Cheers again!

Thanks Stuart smiley

The Chilli was all my dad's work (as was the crash!). He liked it enough to make another fuselage, but then didn't fly it much and it's come my way since then.

The usual glass/epoxy wing joining kit is somewhat overkill. I've never had issue with PVA and bandage, although these days I use PVA and glass tissue. One wide layer and one narrower layer, on a Chilli size build that would be around 12" and 6". It's covered in Solarfilm, no extra strength needed with a fully sheeted job.

Must get the Puma out of semi-retirement and back in the air.

Hi

cant remember is it the smaller of the two ... Chilli Wind and ChilliBrezeze.. I've had two of the smaller ones with built up wings and they were superb flyers.

I think I might have a copy of the original article for the bigger one.

Cheers

Mike

I seem to remember there was some confusion of the two sizes in an earlier thread and info was given incorrectly.

If the build is of Chilli Breeze then build as per plan, but if the larger one consider spruce spars with a ply joiner and forget about bandages or fibreglass.

Posted by kc on 10/01/2019 19:43:09:

If the build is of Chilli Breeze then build as per plan, but if the larger one consider spruce spars with a ply joiner and forget about bandages or fibreglass.

The spars are not "in line", they sweep back, so a ply joiner would not be as simple. The Breeze structure is regular D Box with full sheeted centre section - so plenty of material for a glass or bandage joint to work on.

Worth noting glass joins have a secondary bonus of reinforcing the surface around the point where the wing dowel and bolt are.

The structure I listed is as per my larger Chilli Wind. Spruce 1/8" x 1/4" would be a good spar, as an alternative to rock hard balsa of 1/4" x 1/4".

For what its worth, if I'd built it I would have used a liteply root rib, slotted at the front, to take the wing dowel.

Many ways to skin the cat!

Well 3/16 sq spruce would be better than 1/8 by 1/4 because of greater gluing area for the webbing and the ply joiner. Actually I would prefer 1/4 sq spruce on an aerobatic model, save weight on other things not the spars. Getting really hard balsa for spars is not easy and spruce is not much heavier. If the spars are not in line then tapered infill pieces would be used to glue a straight ply joiner onto the spars. Or relocate the spars to be in line.

I note that the instructions for the Chilli Wind suggest that it could use a flat 1/4 balsa tailplane instead of foam. Much easier!

Hi Stuart,

I currently have a chilli wind under construction, with a built up wing & also incorporated a set of electric retracts. Unfortunately its fully constructed so not much to see..

I used a full depth spar made of very hard 1/8th balsa Half slotted the spar & ribs & capped it off with 1/8th x 3/8 to form girder type section. I also added a 1/8 x 1/4 spars towards the TE. then built the whole wing & cut the ailerons out.

I also decided to opt for a built up tail as opposed to the 1/4 sheet version I'll stick some pics up shortly

Cheers

I bought the Chilli Wind plan from Sarik (1648) and the MAY 91 RCM&E magazine build article from the internet. I will do a built up wing sometime, probably using 1/4in spruce and I am considering a laminated ply joiner. The model looks fast just standing still but is not at the top of my build list at present. Peter Miller's Little Miss Honky Tonk should be out in the next few days so that could be next. I will be following your Chilli Wind build with interest Stuart, if you are planning to do a build blog.

It does look good.

I'd say it is one the best thought through designs I've seen. Flight performance is as good as any classic aerobat from the 90s. The airframe structure has also been carefully thought out to minimise build time, complexity and cost. No expensive glass bits needed, no difficult fairings to hide pipes, no canopy section to deal with, etc. Shaping work is kept to a minimum.

All in, it was a brilliant package.

I've still got a piped 60 size one on my bucket list of projects.

Edited By Nigel R on 12/01/2019 13:09:13