Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog

Of course!!! The simple answer. Stand off tubes.

**LINK**

Note that you will need to buy screws etc from the same scource.

Buy on line now and you should have them by Tuesday.

Just measure from the rear of the motor to the F-1 to get the length you need. A bit of variation is not a problem

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/02/2020 14:47:36

Posted by Tim C on 03/05/2019 16:44:36:

I will post up a link to download the STL files for the parts I use, so far it’s the end rib and flap hinge.

3d rib.jpg

Tim - were you still planning on adding more 3D files. I wouldn't mind making a set of your motor parts and also your pilot for my Li'l Cub.

Your finished model is looking very nice by the way.

Steven, I will post up the files for the dummy motor, there are 33 separate parts, the exhausts use a hack technique where they are bent using hot water , PLA becomes malleable aft low temps so can effectively be moulded, I had to make up a jig to hold the 4 into 1 , while I glued it. Note that it is for a 28mm dia motor and X mount 40mm dia from recollection, a 35mm motor will fit in the crankcase, but you would need to be inventive with the motor mounting to get it to fit.

The pilot is a rehash of this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3648714 on thingiverse, chopped it around a reangled to fit the cub, and used a lump of blue foam as the rear body half, used thin wall on print settings and minimal fill, resulted in 20gm weight, not bad for quite a large figure, the sunglasses were laser cut from a piece of shampoo bottle

Gentlemen , I see from the posts that at least 2 of you are using 2d cutting!!!!!!!!!!. I might be wrong about that but some are using 3d printing. I have had an offer regarding such equipment and would like to discuss this with those of you that know,. rather than cloud the forum would you contact me  using a PM witha view to disscussion ? .

There are many things that I would like to clarify. Thanks in advance. Barry

Edited By Basil on 05/03/2020 09:35:13

Thanks Tim - I bought an E-Flite "Power 15" motor for mine, which is 35mm dia so I will see how inventive I can be and make it fit. I found an "Ken" doll at a boot sale, but he weighs 195 grams before surgery so I don't think i will be using him. My nephew has a 3D printer and doesn't mind making me parts.

dscn3003.jpg

I see you are inserting your battery from inside the cabin. I'm thinking of doing the same, but until I join and cover my wing which is still in 3 main pieces, and mount my motor I'm not sure where my C of G will end up.

Hi Barry - I cut out my motor mount box with my Dremal scroll saw.

Hi Steven,

I was not sure where my cg would end up, but with a 2200 Lipo is just a few mm in front of the plan location, which is good news, I am using ultralight fun Cub wheels and the motor only 70gm, so I am guessing your going to be pretty near with your setup. There still a few bits and bobs to go but most of it is on or in front of the cg line so should not cause an issue. I have a hatch in the underside and the battery locates easily in the hole and through the former.

i will post up the rest of the styles next week, I am away till then, you could print the motor parts at 110% which would give you 44mm dia internally and not look out of place, I think mine in retrospect was a tad small in any event, but fitted my motor dimensions.

Basis feel free to pm me with any questions, there are some excellent threads on the forum on both 3d printing and laser/cnc cutters.

my build is totally hand cut, I have deviated in a number of areas from Peters plan. 3d printing was a way of adding details for a more scale experience and custom building fittings such as flap hinges and snake supports. I have a ANET A8 3d printer, it’s a low cost entry level machine with no mods, more than adequate for anything I have produced so far

I have heard back from SELC regarding cutting parts for Li'l Cub.They are going to proccess the Pdf that I sent them and cut some parts. It seems that this has been precipitated by a request from an additional person. They are now saying that a kit will be available . If you want one please contact them as this may reduce the price by spreading the cost of turning the plan into cutting data. According to Peter Sarik do not produce a plan so they will may supply that as well!!

Please spread the word and help to cut the initail cost

Barry