New EDF Mini Jets- Hunter & Phantom

3 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Lovely looking model but I suspect flaperons would be the fastest way of re-kitting it. What about trying a smaller (lighter) LiPo to reduce the wing loading a tad? Say, a high ‘C’ rated 1350 LiPo?

Shorter flights but a longer lived model?

I’ve got a couple of little 1300 packs with a high C rating. I’ll give them a try! Thanks!

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I don't have one if these but do have flaperons (acting as flaps or spoilers) on my little Arrows Hawk.  They work but do make it rather twitchy so have to be deployed just on the final leg of the approach.

Without flaperons, my Hawk lands noticeably slower than a flying chums as I use 1300/1500 Lipos compared to his 2200's......

I’m going to try a smaller battery, but if they work on your Hawk they may work here also. I’ll start with very small movements and see how I get on!

I have one of the TN Gnats powered by a 4s 2200 Lipo. For launch and landing I use 2mm down on the full span ailerons to get a bit extra camber and lift. I also use 1mm up trim on the elevator for (self) launch and think that helps a bit until I get my hand back on the stick.

If I initially forget to switch back to normal trim after launch I do usually notice after a while that the plane feels a bit odd. Similarly, I like to switch to landing trim at the start of the final circuit as that gives me time to get used to the changed trim before attempting touchdown.

I can experiment with the different trims during a flight, and have also used landing mode for slow passes.

Dick

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

After seeing pictures of the TN 'mini series' Hunter I built one (actually two!) out of 5mm foam as a comparison.

Complete.jpg.da009fa67833292a3a0cc5f38a472c54.jpg

Decorated as the prototype Hunter. It uses the same 11 blade 50mm EDF as the TN version. It uses a 1500mm 40C LiPo.

Having run the EDF on the bench I decided it had too much power for a 'light weight' mini Hunter so mine is rather bigger overall with a 33.5" span as compared to 25",  With the benefit of a foam construction it is also lighter at 568g as compared to 623g. The effect of all this is it virtually halves the wing loading from 21 oz/sqft to 10.7. The result is it not only flies a good deal slower but makes for an easy hand launch. A further benefit of its larger size but with the same EDF means its scale inlets need no cheat holes.

My second hunter is an all black F6 of 111 squadron "Black Arrows" display team.

Complete3.jpg.45e99c0b2cdf527d54bcb149a637b3a0.jpg

Identical except for the 'saw tooth' leading edge, underwing pylons and "Sabrina" cartridge case bins under the fuselage. They make good skids for the belly landing! 

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...