New EDF Mini Jets- Hunter & Phantom

Hi Tony, I have just emailed you regarding the elevator travel on the Concorde which is nearly finished but I shall have to wait a long time for our patch to dry out.

Next in line is my version of your Hunter. I got sent a 64mm fan in error but decided to keep it anyway and have had your plan scaled up to 133% for this. Looking forward to the build which should be quite quick. Should just about be able to get my hand round the fus. to launch it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

as you can see from above pic I have started on the Hunter. The fuz, tail plane and wing are all done. A little mod I did to the wing was to cut out a resess into the leading edge of the wing in the centre. The reason was I found it a bit difficult to remove the battery. This mod has overcome that problem. Comments please.

Dave

Hi Steve

Thanks for that reply. Another item you may be able to help me with is the wing fairings. In the text and on the plan it says to make them out of 1.6mm balsa and then add 3mm lite ply to the leading edge. I am confused about this. Should the fairings be made from 3mm balsa you match the kite ply leading edge or made from two laminations of 1.6mm balsa? Help

regards Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too will have a go at building the Phantom as a lockdown sanity project. I've got the wood I need and the fan. Wondering what particular battery people use and consider the best? I see HK have a battery sale at the moment so I'm tempted to buy a few of their bog standard Turnigy 2200mah 30C 3S but I wonder if they're too bulky? Also, which ESC?

Cheers all, stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ed2fb8d6-c091-460d-a82a-c9a913d82afd.jpegIt’s been a while, but I’ve finally finished my Phantom, just got to wait for the rain to stop now so I can see if she flies.

final weight with a 3S 2200 Graphene is 630g so hopefully power to weight shouldn’t be an issue like it was with the heavy gnat I built.

45e80e95-5627-4d72-8e47-193b316298bd.jpeg

24e8fcc0-44b2-49c2-9bc8-e899922cc937.jpeg39a48eea-7ed6-42a8-b53a-7a77458287e4.jpeg134007cd-98ea-4054-8c97-9f3081be8e7f.jpegf0f65bc5-8873-4317-91e0-ca423b5da865.jpegThat looks really good Nik, I like that scheme. she should fly fine, mine came in at 630g with 550g thrust off a 3S 2200, she needed a good throw to get going but flew really nice, half throttle flying is good and pretty nippy on full power. Hope to see some photos of her in the air when you get chance

• 7 months later...
On 04/02/2019 at 22:58, Fun Flyer said:

Welcome back. That looks great. I've always wanted a Hunter. It must be one of the most stylish aircraft ever.

As I said two years ago, I've always wanted a Hunter and I've nearly finished this one.  I have just one question, is the balance point right on the LE of the wing?

• 11 months later...

I have inherited a completed Phantom, which had two aborted take offs into landings only AFAIK. It's 619g with a 3s 2200.  Seems to have plenty of thrust. Unfortunately I didn't find the plans in the owners effects and the text blub does not indicate either, so can anyone here help with throws and CG position please? 

Finally found my old drawing of Phantom.  My Phantom - above in Navy colours - has yet to fly correctly.  I forgot to see the movement for ailerons and had way too much.  It was very very responsive and beat me very time.  Also had 4S 2000mA which I thinks a bit too heavy, since bought 1800mA but not flown yet.  Hope this gets you going.

Cheers.

Phantom1.jpg

Phantom2.jpg

Excellent Nik, thanks very VERY much!

Many years ago a slope wing had 2mm throws each way listed. I set more on a three way one end and less on the other end of the switch but launched with the most nervous.  Soon found the designer was right, I think it left the slope edge inverted in a roll to cries of "don't be a show off, Dave"!!  ? I put on my best "I meant that" face and tried not to blush................. 

I have some 1800mAh 4S but I think the install was bought and set up for 3S.  Oh Well, what's the worst that can happen..................  ?

• 10 months later...

Trying to build the 25" Hunter! Got the article from the magazine, Tony's downloaded pictures - but- how do you get the elevator snakes in and out of the fuse top panel and lined up with the elevators BEFORE cutting the access hatch - and even after that?

Perhaps I'm thick, or have missed some instruction?

• 1 month later...

I don't have one if these but do have flaperons (acting as flaps or spoilers) on my little Arrows Hawk.  They work but do make it rather twitchy so have to be deployed just on the final leg of the approach.

Without flaperons, my Hawk lands noticeably slower than a flying chums as I use 1300/1500 Lipos compared to his 2200's......

• Like 1