Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk

• 2 weeks later...

Spinach entered its first scale comp on Wednesday and really performed well. I was leading going into the second round when a typical Seagull trait, the oleos slipped and the wheel ended up facing the left wing tip! ho hum that ended that flight, and we slipped to third, still a great result.

Well yesterday we had another go, this time at the Baldock scale comp.

First round went very well, the model really does go well, and round two it was even better. Finally ended up 5th out of 15, half a point behind Martin Fardell

I need more practice, but I am seeing improvement.

There is another comp at Skelebroke this Sunday, not sure I will be able to get away again, but fingers crossed.

The sun has meant a sun shade has been required to protect the film.

417365690_Pic004.thumb.jpg.f6884be692927b6cb3a221d34dbd153e.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems the Chippy will be entering the Nationals this weekend F4h, Stand-off-scale. It will lose loads of marks for starting life as a humble artf, but the more I do the better.

Added a few more details...

So I made some new wheels.

20220905_163652.thumb.jpg.9b7bf3d6cfcee52295ee852f8a6f9f6d.jpg

And a static prop and spinner

20220905_145510.thumb.jpg.2466041ae98158d97f41f6cc06423b22.jpg

See you at Buckminster maybe?

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 2

Well the event wasn't a big success for me, but the social side was excellent. The last minute tweaking to the gyro were a bit of a disaster and i didn't figure out what was going on in time.

Never mind I learned a great deal, and had a fab weekend.

Well done to Brian Seymour for winning Stand-off and Steve Jackson for winning Scale.

Pic courtesy of Brian, thx again.

P1040155.thumb.JPG.6cb9dc3bea5fa9da61c4ffc880c901db.JPG

P1040156.thumb.JPG.2f951ccb5d0c9d7fe8ce282dc0b9d1e6.JPG

More pics from the weekend are on my Flickr page

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Some nice pics there Danny, cheers.

Sorry the weekend wasn't a success....

Thanks, to say the weekend wasn't a success would be unfair, everything ran smoothly, I achieved 9,000 steps each day and the social scene was really good. I even really enjoyed flying the model. Just wish I had set the model up better before the event.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Manish  

Just looked at the instructions and it doesn't tell you, but I put the big ones on the flaps on mine and I have had many flights with it now.

I recommend putting small tie wraps round the flap hinges as they can pull out very easily.  I have heard someone heated the pins with a soldering iron to swell the end but knowing my luck I'd melt the whole thing. 

Sorry chaps just seen this. I remember struggling with this too. and without going and looking would guess that Eric is correct. I used short lengths of fuel tubing to hold the clips closed. As I resprayed mine this all got coloured the same as the underside so not so noticable. By the way that butt jointed tailwheel is still holding up! Lost the tailwheel lost time out, but thats nowt to do with that joint 😉

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny,

Regarding the tail wheel unit, if I decide to go your route (at a later date) I would slip on a piece of brass tube with the end notched to take the wheel yoke and lips folded over. That way, not only will the wires be butt joined but be strengthened by the surrounding brass tube and filled in silver solder.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2023 at 14:14, Manish Chandrayan said:

Thanks Danny,

Regarding the tail wheel unit, if I decide to go your route (at a later date) I would slip on a piece of brass tube with the end notched to take the wheel yoke and lips folded over. That way, not only will the wires be butt joined but be strengthened by the surrounding brass tube and filled in silver solder.   

Not sure how much strength brass will add, but it cannot hurt. Quite amazed how strong it has turned out to be.