Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoy my Chippy, only 1 issue. Can anyone suggest how better to fix the oleos to the u/c pinion as I have to tighten the 3 grub screws so often, even after a good smooth landing. I did think of wrapping some tap around the pinion but the oleo is a tight fit. There are no flat points on the pinion. The field is bumpy with a few holes, but not bad.

Thanks

Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/06/2020 10:54:36:

Martin it is fairly painless to scuff the entire covering to a matt finish and then spray the model. I did this on a couple of ARTF Sea Fury's, my avatar is one.

I used green scotch-brite pad and Warbird Colours.

is not as much effort as it appears.....

Cheers

Danny

What size are those Danny? They look really good.

I would post a photo of my YT example but i am yet to master flying and picture taking all at once!

Hi Jon, these are the Seagull Sea Furys, Leeds was selling them for £99 several years back and we grabbed them.

Most fitted a 1.20, I think the span is a little over 60" but the wings are short compared to the size, if you know what I mean?

There is a thread on here somewhere, it was about the cheapest route to an electric warbird.

sea fury cropped (Large).JPG

This was it before the re-paint, horrid eh?

Cheers

Danny

The sea fury does have quite short wings. I always notice that when i fly mine.

They look great though, just a shame they dont make any noise devil

As for the paint, yes most artf warbirds look awful and i did my own paint work on my Fury as well as all of my other YT models. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 11/06/2020 14:00:04

I will have to watch out for this. Have not yet got to flying mine.

Still deciding which engine size, voltage battery etc to go. Seems to be a wide choice of options from 5S to 8S. Was thinking of a Power 90 motor with 6S. Watts would be OK but power would peak at relatively low revs. Or am I talking nonsense?

Posted by Russ P on 11/06/2020 12:06:34:

Really enjoy my Chippy, only 1 issue. Can anyone suggest how better to fix the oleos to the u/c pinion as I have to tighten the 3 grub screws so often, even after a good smooth landing. I did think of wrapping some tap around the pinion but the oleo is a tight fit. There are no flat points on the pinion. The field is bumpy with a few holes, but not bad.

Thanks

Even on the gentlest landing there is drifting by model one way or the other for a split second, so there is a large twisting force.

The obvious solution is to grind flats accurately in line with the grub screws.

Clean the grub screws thoroughly of any oil or grease and apply a drop of locktite.

Make sure the wheels rotate, and are not wobbly on the shaft.

A wobbly wheel will bind for a second.

Consider fitting bearings cut from tight fitting brass tube to the shaft

And drill accurately to fit the brass tube to the wheel.

A lot of faff but less trouble with the landing gear

Posted by Danny Fenton on 12/06/2020 10:47:34:

I have thumped mine down occasionally but have not seen any movement in the oleo, not sure if Chris has with his, though his landings are often better than mine crook

Cheers

Danny

Ah but Danny

You are an accomplished builder and flier; some people are On page one and Martin seems to be having trouble.

If his oleos are the " add on " type, then they can twist.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 12/06/2020 10:55:47:
Posted by Danny Fenton on 12/06/2020 10:47:34:

I have thumped mine down occasionally but have not seen any movement in the oleo, not sure if Chris has with his, though his landings are often better than mine crook

Cheers

Danny

Ah but Danny

You are an accomplished builder and flier; some people are On page one and Martin seems to be having trouble.

If his oleos are the " add on " type, then they can twist.

LOL builder I am okay, my flying leaves much to be desired. The model is always where I put it, its the ground that keeps moving!

Chris and I both have the same Seagull Chippy as Martin, did I miss that Martin has fitted different oleos to the ones included n the kit?

Cheers

Danny

It was actually Denis Watkins asking about oleos. I confused everyone by posting my query above his question and on another topic. Apologies.

I was asking about motor, prop, and battery size.

Still deciding which engine size, voltage battery etc to go. Seems to be a wide choice of options from 5S to 8S. Was thinking of a Power 90 motor with 6S. Watts would be OK but power would peak at relatively low revs. Or am I talking nonsense?

Sorry but my post regarding the oleos was posted within Martin's post.

The oleos are the ones in the kit, and the wheels are wobbly, so will fit a bearing. Will also give Dennis's other suggestions a go as well.

Also, I've fitted HK retracts to a warbird and these have flat points for the grub screws to get a better grip and to date haven't had any movement. I'm thinking of ordering replacement ones they sell in packs of 10 when I next place an order.

I've tried grinding flat spots in the past but not very successfully.

I love flying this Chippy and I've fitted the lights.

Thanks for the tips.