Who uses blue or pink foam?

Alan Gorham_

I've ordered some 50mm thick sheets of blue foam. Assuming it arrives next week I will have 11 sheets of 1250x600x50 to offer at £8 per sheet. I can deliver to the Bwlch PSS event on 11 12 May or en route between South East Northumberland and Pontypridd on 10 or 13 May.

Taking orders by PM! Assume you will take some Mr Meade?

I know you guys are talking about blue and pink foam but is it possible to cut Celotex foam (polyisocyanurate) with a hot wire cutter? No doubt the fumes would be pretty lethal but apart from that wee shortcoming (!), would it work? It is certainly very light.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 05/04/2019 15:40:47

Yes it is possible and in fact I have used it to make plugs from in the past as its more cost effective than blue or pink foam, but I think it is denser than blue of pink foam and thus no use in an airframe. Fumes are no more lethal than hot wiring any other foam I think if you take precautions to ventilate.

In breaking news, I now know why supplies are uncertain. Dow who used to make Floormate blue foam have sold out to Ravago. It seems like all the insulation suppliers have exhausted their stocks of the Dow made stuff and have not started to carry the Ravago stuff as a stock line, which is why I can only seem to buy it pallet loads.

Just need to find a dozen or so people who want 20 or so sheets each!

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 05/04/2019 15:47:23

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 05/04/2019 16:49:38:

Addlestone Models have blue foam in stock.

Thanks, yes they do but not in the thickness/quantities needed. They will be affected by the supply issues I mentioned above (even the insulation distributors are affected at the moment).

• 2 months later...
Posted by MikeQ on 13/06/2019 06:58:08:

Hello

is this what your after ...

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/ravago-floormate-300a-styrofoam-insulation-boards

Cheers

Mike

Mike thanks for the suggestions, but my very first post in this thread has bad news:

"I used to buy single sheets of blue foam called Dow Floormate 300A styrofoam from my local branch of Sheffield Insulation as was (now SIG) but they advise me this is no longer a stock item and instead can order a more dense pink foam but I have to buy it in packs of 10 sheets for around £150 a pack."

Yes Andy correct, but I've covered that in other posts in this thread. Dow have sold that part of their business to Ravago, but stocks are not built up with distributors yet. Distributors are prepared to order it in for me by the palletload, but I want to buy it by the sheet, not the palletload!

• 4 months later...

Hello Alan

did you manage to get hold of any blue foam in the end. I'm still looking for future projects. I'm still looking at ... https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/ravago-floormate-300a-styrofoam-insulation-boards ... as being the most likely.

5 sheets at 75mm X 1.2m X 0.6m for around £135 might be more than I need. If there is anyone in NE who fancies splitting an order then I'm up for it.

cheers

mike

Bummer ... it's allowing me to go all the way through checkout including P&P to the point of confirming order.

Guess you can't believe anything on the net sad

Not sure how much I need right now but probably a sheet of say 1.2mx0.6mx75 or 100mm. It's for making a fuselage plug on a project that won't kick off for a good few months. Was just 'stocking up' per se.

Are you the same Alan that asked LezScurfield of Novos fame about slope sites around Seaham. I replied to him as I'm in the Novos and live down Ryhope way. We might have met at one of he Novos meetings when I asked about joining  the Wear Valley gliders club?

Cheers

Mike

Edited By MikeQ on 10/11/2019 08:41:17

I've been there. You'll get an email cancelling the order and a refund..

No we haven't met. I'm not in the Novos and I live in South East Northumberland.

The foam we have sourced is off cuts of blue foam that can be laminated to make fuselage or fuselage plugs. That is what I wanted it for. I will message you off forum later today with sizes.