Spring is here. Who is flying?

27 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

I been testing and trimming winter fix up easy Pigeon at home on the farm. Got it going nicely. Just would like to set the brake on the motor so the prop folds. Motor is a Multiplex unit from a Shark foamy but I do not know what the motor bleep code is. Are all motors the same or do they have different set ups ? Thanks for any help on this. John.

SAM_1796 (3).JPG

Apparently there can be differences in the procedure but I have found, so far, that the brake is the first option as here

image.png

This is for an Overlander ESC.

Hope this helps.

When I go to the farm where I also have my caravan stored, there is nobody about. In an hour there 3 days ago I did not see anyone. When I go to the supermarket amongst  crowds of people who are not always maintaining social distancing I know where I feel more comfortable. I would not fly anywhere in a public place even if permitted as any thing can go wrong or someone's dog will go chasing after the aeroplane.

@Eric RobsonI know. 95% of the time at the flying field, I am completely alone, and I have to drive about a mile along a country road road get there..... still, not long to go now. 

I have only been in a Supermarket once in 12 months as I have diabetes. Vaccination will be a double edged sword as I will gave no excuse! Just waiting for dose 2 now.

GG

Today's forecast for Gloucestershire wasn't very encouraging; cloudy with a fresh N breeze all day. After a frosty morning it stayed dull until midday, although the breeze was lighter than expected. Around about lunchtime it suddenly started to brighten up, and before long there was more blue sky than cloud, lovely! I was glad I'd decided to charge the Lipo earlier just in case, and after quickly rigging my EG4 I was out and 2 minutes later in my local field flying. Nothing epic but certainly enough lifty bits rolling up the gentle into wind slope for some sustained soaring, even the odd little climb under the scruffy white cu's rolling through. I could hear buzzards calling each other as they cirled up around the place, a lovely sound that always makes me think "thermals" and after scanning around eventually spotted a couple. With wings and tails spread for max climb, they were slightly upwind circling tight under a nice lifty patch of cu. As it drifted into range three more joined in and there we were, 5 buzzards and EG4 all circling up nicely in the lift. Always makes me smile when that happens, sharing the lift with the experts! That was probably the best of it but there was enough to carry on flying for another 40 mins until chilly fingers made landing for a cuppa too inviting to refuse. Getting down was easier than staying up, and after a hot final approach and go-around  I was then at just the perfect height turning on to finals. With enough speed in hand to make a nice gentle touchdown the EG4 slid along perfectly level into wind to stop literally 6" from my foot. I can't remember the last time a landing ended with me just bending down to switch off and pick up my glider. Pity they aren't all like that! Nice to think lockdown will soon be eased and allow more out to fly; the weather can only improve and spring proper means warmer conditions, no gloves or thermal underwear required! Won't be long now folks.

• Like 5

Our club has had two work parties this week to lay and roll 40tons of crushed concrete into the ruts on the track to our flying site and mow and roll the strip ready for Monday. Sounds a lot of concrete but was only just enough. Luckily we have a member with a JCB and we have a Bomag deisel powered roller. Our field is three fields off the road and has suffered badly in the last few years.

John

I went flying yesterday afternoon.

Here in central France we are allowed to fly providing that we observe social distancing and that we are all home before the 7 o'clock evening curfew. I took two models: a foamy trainer which I'd just repaired and my Baron, a simple three channel trainer with which I will compete in la Coupe Des Barons on 12th June, Covid restrictions permitting. I test flew the foamy prior to taking up novices on it, then it was the turn of the Baron.

We will be taking a team of six down to the competition and the club president Roger Aubard was airborn with his Baron as I took off. After I'd gained altitude he told me that he was going to attack me. I put my model into a tight left-hand turn and after a few turns succeeeded in getting behind his model uttering rat-a tat-tat-tat noises at the same time!

Do we ever grow up?

I was particularly pleased as Roger's model was fitted with an OS 35 AX, the favoured engine of hot shot pilots at La Coupe while mine had an old Thunder Tiger 54 fourstroke and he had often competed in the French nationals and I'm not that standard!

Pictures of the two models below and a video of the 2017 Coupe Des Barons for those who'd like to know more about the competition. I chose the 2017 video because it was the most destructive of recent years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWg0Ad5cKs

We Can Fly.jpg

Bertie.JPG