Spring is here. Who is flying?

I got out again today and flew the Warbird Replicas LA7 as the wind was just right😊. I’m really getting to like this plane. It does need some careful handling as I built it heavy but once it gets going it cuts the sky like a knife and is very smooth. It rolls nicely and makes nice big loops. My friend Robert managed a good picture on his mobile phone 633cc5bb-6d1a-46b3-a681-76b2e59e14a1.jpeg

Your model looks super in that picture Tim. The red and white livery is striking.

The light reflectlng off the surfaces and the sky makes for a  atmospheric shot.

Edited By ASH. on 29/04/2019 22:42:49

Away from all this CAA worries, today seemed like the real beginning of spring. Standing up the field without a heavy coat on and no need for gloves. smile d

Decided on some lazy, undisciplined flying with my 3DHS Extra 330SC 95" electric. Everything was ok with the world, for a few minutes anyway. Here is a video clip.

**LINK**

I took my Baron, "Boris," to the club's flying field yesterday. I had re-engined it with a Magnum 52FS and was practising low level flight, not my strongest suite, for a competition I will be entering in September. Only the French could organise a competition for three-channel trainers! The engine ran very well.

baron ready for the coupe (2).jpg

baron ready for the coupe (3).jpg

Posted by Steve Dunne on 29/04/2019 19:45:19:

Another Rocket maiden today - Nigel's - that's three Rockets in the air now, with another four in the build.
Pictured Nigel's, Terry's (centre) and mine. All four strokes, flying at Greenmires.

2019-04-29 15.35.56.jpg

These look great. Are they all 15cc four strokes or something bigger?

It's one design on my bucket list after I finish the current project (in about a year's time). I love the simplicity of it.

Would be an OS pumper for mine though. And retracts. Must have retracts. And probably flaps, given the size of our club patch!

Terry's Rockets...
(UKCAA aerobatics)

<<These look great. Are they all 15cc four strokes or something bigger? >>

There is a Saito FA-100, an ASP 91FS, and my OS-fs 95V.

They all have plentiful power, typical props 14x6/7/8. Retracts were considered and rejected, and believe me they dont need flaps.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

As for flaps, I have about half the time, a rather short and steep approach called for. Depends on wind direction, but, fairly tall hedges to come in over on one runway; at 90 deg the other direction can be as flat and long as required. Clean models (like these classic pattern types) that don't slow down quickly can be "interesting" in the direction with the hedges in the way...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Had this Flite test P38 out for its maiden flew straight from my hand launch no trim needed 57" span Race star 3536 900KV motors 3s 2200 battery gave 5 mins flight 3s 3000n gave 6 mins. flight. The field is a ten mins walk from my house,  I have the farmers permission to fly there but no runway so hand launches only. I am going to change the props from 9x6 to 8x8 as the tufts of grass pulled one motor loose. It is now repaired and ready for the next fine day.

DSC_0891[2023].JPG

TBH I have not given actual flying much thought which is odd as I normally track the weather like a hawk. As soon a a suitable day is identified its a case of rearranging work, booking some holiday, selecting and getting the models ready and sorting the other stuff out. Its okay to have a grab and go NANTF (no assembly needed to fly) model, but then again if I have committed to a day's flying, spending 45 minutes to assemble and firing up the engine is all part of the enjoyment.

Each to their own and if you are able to fly within the rules then ok, I'll fly on any day with good weather and there are those that will only fly on the allotted club Thursday/Saturday with no exception....can't see the point of missing a decent day one week to then complain on the club day that is poor weather, but that's only my opinion. 

Its 11 days to go on the basis nothing goes Pete Tong I have waited this long so its not much longer to wait in the big scheme of things. 

My weather predictor fly/no fly (not hard and fast) tool comes up with a score...anything with a score above 40 is not really worth flying....looking at the chart...can't say I am getting too excited or missing out much!

image.png.cf20850324b01cf30e51d6acee107bcc.png

So who is poised like a coiled spring?

Me! Been resisting the 10 minute walk to the flying field, and the temptation to fly on public land amongst the hordes of dog walkers. Seen more dog walkers than there are people in the village!

A good selection of planes ready and waiting, with batteries piled up ready to move from 'storage' to 'charged'. 

GG

I been testing and trimming winter fix up easy Pigeon at home on the farm. Got it going nicely. Just would like to set the brake on the motor so the prop folds. Motor is a Multiplex unit from a Shark foamy but I do not know what the motor bleep code is. Are all motors the same or do they have different set ups ? Thanks for any help on this. John.

SAM_1796 (3).JPG