Prostate Cancer

Martian

I've just answered the three questions. Father OK as far as known (died 1995) no brothers. No black ethnicity in the family but the reply is I am  at risk soley due to my age - 73. That could really worry some people. Difficult under the present circumstances to see a doctor. I have tried to make an appointment recently as my dentist, dental hygenist and a former doctor clubmate all urge me to have a lesion on my face looked at without sucess. Been following this thread for some time.

John

Edited by John Tee
addition

Health care certainly has been very patchy.  I must have been lucky as I've managed to keep my diabetes checks, my annual blood tests/pressure checks, and dental appointments (albeit less often than previously).

I too am on Tamulosin, which quickly fixed a bout of incontinence, as well as removing the need for a night time wee.  It works best for me if I take it each morning.  I also take Finasteride which is supposed to help remove the need to wee, followed by the need to go again 5 minutes later.  This drug seems to be prescribed for a whole host of things!

On 19/02/2022 at 12:08, RedBaron said:

Piers - I know this is a model forum so will minimise my comments - yes those 3 symptoms are on the low magnesium list. The low magnesium list is long because magnesium is critical to hundreds of metabolic processes. 

The most up to date, informative and readable book on low Magnesium is "The Magnesium Miracle - 2nd edition" by Dr Carolyn Dean (see Amazon) read it and you will have a new outlook on basic health.

Thank you RedBaron, I was just curious about your source of information. I have not found any peer review scholarly articles associated with Dr Carolyn Dean which speaks volumes about her treatise concerning magnesium supplements. I did find this pretty damming review of her book however by an MD.

A healthy mixed diet will provide most people with all the fat soluble minerals and trace elements, like magnesium, the human body requires. Unless of course there is a specific underlying condition restriction their absorption, like Coeliac disease for instance. 

Well was in Tesco doing the weekly shop today and purchased a bottle of Magnesium tablets so will see if it makes any difference.

Disappointed that you need the catheter in for several weeks after a TURP which puts me off that approach. 

Re the Tamsulosin I take it every other day and I do notice on the days that I take it that it reduces the need to go on multiple occasions so assume it is working. Was advised that it only works for about 6-8Hrs and takes ~4hrs to work so taking it latter in the day may prevent getting up during the night.  Didn't work for me though so just take it at random times during the day.

Thanks Piers for your comments - with regard to the damning review, there might be other reasons for it than that she is wrong. I am not big on reviews as we have come to a point in history where reviews have become political and are rarely useful.

For myself I found her book more cohesive that anything I have found on conventional Medical websites. Additionally I (and other family members) have experimented with magnesium supplements for sometime and also with Dean's own ReMag. The results have been outstanding. So I have developed some experimental support for her position with no negative effects.

Anyway - back to model stuff.

22 hours ago, John Tee said:

I've just answered the three questions. Father OK as far as known (died 1995) no brothers. No black ethnicity in the family but the reply is I am  at risk soley due to my age - 73. That could really worry some people. Difficult under the present circumstances to see a doctor. I have tried to make an appointment recently as my dentist, dental hygenist and a former doctor clubmate all urge me to have a lesion on my face looked at without sucess. Been following this thread for some time.

John

John you have right to have a PSA test just remember symptoms are rare until prostate cancer is advanced almost certainly you will have an enlarged prostate it goes with the territory for aging men, many men die from other conditions and may have  prostate cancer that never causes a problem. My father had prostate cancer without knowing and for him it was to late so in my opinion get checked in all likelihood you may have no problem as they say it's better to know your enemy.    

5 hours ago, RedBaron said:

Additionally I (and other family members) have experimented with magnesium supplements for sometime and also with Dean's own ReMag. The results have been outstanding. So I have developed some experimental support for her position with no negative effects

Problem being that in ascribing all manner of ills to Mg deficiency, people may be disuaded from seeking medical advice because they assume/think/believe that it is all down to the Mg issue and that if they just take supplements, they will miraculously recover. Early diagnosis is absolutely vital in many cancers, not least prostate, so the risk of assuming early symptoms to be a nutrition issue is, to my mind, quite dangerous. By the time a patient discovers that the supplements are not resolving the problem, it may be too late. 

8 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

Disappointed that you need the catheter in for several weeks after a TURP which puts me off that approach. 

Re the Tamsulosin I take it every other day and I do notice on the days that I take it that it reduces the need to go on multiple occasions so assume it is working. Was advised that it only works for about 6-8Hrs and takes ~4hrs to work so taking it latter in the day may prevent getting up during the night.  Didn't work for me though so just take it at random times during the day.

My experience of having a TURP was very positive. I only had a catheter for 2 days after the operation whilst in the hospital. It transformed my life as I no longer had to get up in the night. Obviously everyone's experience and circumstances will be different. But for me the op was very successful and fast to recover from without any subsequent problems.

• 4 months later...

Surprised that there has been no further posts on this thread or has the occurrence of PC  in the male population reduced due to recent changes in the NHS work practices. Should be one good aspect of lock down that the government could publisie.

The cynic in me would assume that it's the diagnosis, rather than the occurrence, which has fallen during the pandemic.

In my own case, in part prompted by this thread, I requested a PSA test at my GP surgery, but was refused as I had no family history.

I eventually had the test done in a local pop up test centre, sponsored by a local charity, the result of which was normal.

For other issues, I have tried and failed to access a GP appointment and have again had to 'go private' for a consultation.

GP's in this area anyway (South coast) are like the scarlet pimpernel!! Also been waiting nearly three years (and counting) for an appointment with the Audiology Dept. at the Royal Sussex, but I reckon I've fallen through the cracks there, but of course can't speak to my GP to find out!!! Frankly, I've given up on it and I'm saving up to get the hearing aids privately, for which I've been quoted a nearly 5 figure sum.

It riles me right up when health 'experts' come on the tv or radio and tell everyone to 'contact your GP if you have any worries' - yeah right!!

Kim

Kim, Off subject of PC but I have severe hearing loss in one ear and no hearing in the other but I only paid a four figure number £2000 privately. Boots were a bit more expensive but their aids start at £350 depending on amount of hearing loss. For your estimate I would expect to have full remote control and adjustment via an app on your mobile phone and a pair of aids. My Phonak aid has manual volume adjust, a three position switch for normal, noisy and telecoil for using hearing aid compatible phones. Not sure where on the south coast you are but I am in Horsham West Sussex.

Now back to original topic.

John

1 hour ago, John Tee said:

Kim, Off subject of PC but I have severe hearing loss in one ear and no hearing in the other but I only paid a four figure number £2000 privately. Boots were a bit more expensive but their aids start at £350 depending on amount of hearing loss. For your estimate I would expect to have full remote control and adjustment via an app on your mobile phone and a pair of aids. My Phonak aid has manual volume adjust, a three position switch for normal, noisy and telecoil for using hearing aid compatible phones. Not sure where on the south coast you are but I am in Horsham West Sussex.

Now back to original topic.

John

John - you have mail

Kim

• 6 months later...
On 11/07/2019 at 21:51, buster prop said:

I went for my annual ‘MOT’ blood tests recently and luckily the results are all marked Satisfactory. My PSA is 2.5 which is ok as I am 72. It has crept up slowly, 15 years ago when I had the first test it was 0.8. If it suddenly shoots up then I’m sure the Doc will have a closer look at me. We had a new GP a couple of years ago and she pulled me in for the DRE in view of my age (then 69). Was ok but recommended that I have an annual test. I’d tell anyone to get checked and know what your baseline PSA is.

I think you should use as much natural ingredients that are proven to help and protect prostate health. I consulted my doctor about which natural cure I can use and hee suggest me Regen50 since it has african plum and many other ingredients that helps( www.regen50.co.uk here you can read all the ingredients ). Cheers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dylan9 said:

I think you should use as much natural ingredients that are proven to help and protect prostate health. I consulted my doctor about which natural cure I can use and hee suggest me Regen50 since it has african plum and many other ingredients that helps( www.regen50.co.uk here you can read all the ingredients ). Cheers!

Have you tried it and, if you have, does it work?   I'm 83 and I've been getting problems for a while and take a prescribed Tamulosin capsule each morning.  I think it helps but extra help would be better. 

I've given up trying to see a doctor.  After several 40/45 minute waits on the phone even to speak to a receptionist we changed our practice, which is better (plus it's closer - about 1.5 mile walk mostly on field paths if they're not too muddy).  The doctor I used to see (usually within a day) has retired and none of the doctors at either the new or former practice would know me from Adam but I've had a urinary infection a couple of times and I want to do all I can to avoid another - probably the worst pain I've ever experienced!

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2023 at 22:27, Geoff S said:

Have you tried it and, if you have, does it work?   I'm 83 and I've been getting problems for a while and take a prescribed Tamulosin capsule each morning.  I think it helps but extra help would be better. 

I've given up trying to see a doctor.  After several 40/45 minute waits on the phone even to speak to a receptionist we changed our practice, which is better (plus it's closer - about 1.5 mile walk mostly on field paths if they're not too muddy).  The doctor I used to see (usually within a day) has retired and none of the doctors at either the new or former practice would know me from Adam but I've had a urinary infection a couple of times and I want to do all I can to avoid another - probably the worst pain I've ever experienced!

Geoff, This is not going to end well.  Extract the digit and go see a Doc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2023 at 18:31, Andy J said:

I've tried pomegranate juice but I wouldn't recommend it as a miracle cure to prostrate issues.

Well I may have to retract the above message as pomegranate juice does seem to work. Since my RT treatment in 2020 my PSA has steadily increased such that back in August 22 it was 0.82. Now it is 0.57 so I assume a year of drinking the juice does seem to have done something so will be interested to see what the PSA reading is after another 6 months.

6 hours ago, Andy J said:

Well I may have to retract the above message as pomegranate juice does seem to work. Since my RT treatment in 2020 my PSA has steadily increased such that back in August 22 it was 0.82. Now it is 0.57 so I assume a year of drinking the juice does seem to have done something so will be interested to see what the PSA reading is after another 6 months.

As a prostate cancer survivor I'd be wondering if the reduction in PSA is really due to the cancer changing for the better, or a masking effect. Recurrence is always a possibility and I'd love for something as simple as this to be beneficial.

Have seen recently on TV other medical claims of the benefits from  drinking the juice of liquidized pomegranate's, so as long as its not increasing my PSA quite happy to continue Graham. Another positive side is that it does not taste bad at all and the price of a litre of juice which lasts about a week is less than a couple of pounds.

• 3 months later...

There seems much more knowledge on here than at my local doctor's surgery!

For 'simple' enlarged prostate (PSA & DRE tested) I was intially prescribed Tamsulosin, but this made me sleepy most of the time so unacceptable.

Then prescribed Doxazosin to improve flow but does not do anything for prostate - it maybe helps a bit.

Then prescribed Finesteride, after4 months it hasn't made any difference to the problem but told it takes 6 months... However it has made me gain 6lbs weight even eating better/less, a typical side effect apparently! I can ill afford extra weight. Next Dr. appointment is 4 weeks and I'm losing trust....

I know there are many different drugs for this condition, does anyone know of a good one with little side effects?