New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 05/05/2019 18:11:58:
Posted by Capt Kremen on 05/05/2019 09:18:12:

Dare I ask - a twin using these units - Meteor, Canberra, Me262, Ar234 .... am I dreaming....

A10 Warthog more like, or if you are into civil stuff, a Learjet?

MMmmmmm, a Learjet!!

I've already ordered a Fan Unit in anticipation of the Hunter or Provost plan.
I have fond memories of my Airfix 1/72 Provost. It would be nice to have a flying model.

Hold tight guys, will post some footage of both the Gnat and the Provost flying and taken yesterday evening.....

The Oracover does finish the model off beautifully, especially the Yellow Gnat...really good solid colour but it is heavy....with that and the cockpit detail, another 4oz was added to the AUW. However, both just carried the extra weight with no issues and probably perfomed better.

The Provost needed a little more nose weight due to the covering so I had to add some lead in the nose!!!....needles to say i going to move from the 2800 and try a 3200mah 3S lipo and then remove the nose weight......

With the 2800 pack i was getting a good 7mins so hoping to push the 10min barrier with the 3200mah.....

I will be stocking the FMS fans. I Have some of the cheaper HTIRC versions for testing and the although the quality is very good, the FMS is better. Also the HTIRC fan has a 4900kv 3S motor where as the FMS has a 5400kv 3S motor so the FMS will give slightly more power. The 11- bladed fan themselves are identical on both units but the gap between the fan blade tip and the casing and diameter of the HTIRC casing, is bigger which tends to suggest tolerances are not as good......but hey £20 for the FMS fans unit and £16 for the HTIRC....you just cant complain.....but i would recommend the FMS fan

Shed some blades today on both the Gnat and the Provost!....not sure why but nice to know there was no damage to the model. Interesting to note that it shed all the blade and not just one or two so no nasty vibration after it happend.....just a 'pop' and then a smooth spinning motor.....

Needless to say i hadn't design access for a fan change as I had assumed these fans were bomb proof.... there was a bit of cutting and carving to do but manged it without to much damage. On the positive side I will design a suitable access hatch and route in in future so replacement fans can be installed without the knife coming out!

img_7177.jpg

img_7179.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony, do you have a feel for what caused the blade shedding?

Could it be slight distortion of the outer casing? The fan I've got can certainly catch even holding it in the hand, it doesn't take much pressure at all.

Or do we need to keep the revs down?

Yes they were the FMS fans....The HTIRC 50mm EDF which are the cheaper equivalent, do have a larger clearance and the casing is stronger....You can quite easily hold the HTIRC edf in your hand but you cant do it with the FMS edf unit....The impeller is identical but the overall outer diameter is 2mm greater

Not had any problems since so could be just a one off ( or two off )