Head Loader

Phill Barrett

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a head loader suitable for a Kyosho Calibre 30 helicopter? I haven’t used it for probably 15 or more years but remember I struggled to set the mixture up when I last tried but fancy giving it a go again. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

To approach this from another direction Phill, have always tuned I/C Helis statically

Using the " blow pressure " method, attaching a long piece of fuel pipe to the carb

And listening for the Low and High needle setting as the barrel is set to idle, then fully opened

Have found this method works out to barely one click from optimum when checked when running

Thanks Allan, unfortunately while they list them they’re out of stock, I’ll give them a call and see if they can order one for me.

Denis, thanks very much for the suggestion, sorry to be thick but I don’t quite understand how to do the method, what do I actually do and listen for please?

Thanks again for the help.

Had to copy this from another site

Start by opening the high end needle about 4 turns from fully closed. This is just a starting point to ensure the high end needle valve isn't restricting fuel to the carb so you can adjust the low end needle setting.

The low end is easily set to a good starting point with the following procedure:

Close low end needle valve completely.

Install a clean piece of fuel tubing into carb fitting, make sure it is long enough for you to blow into it with your mouth.

Open carb to 1/5 open from closed position

Blow into fuel tubing while slowly opening up the low end needle valve. Stop turning low needle valve when you first feel air blowing into carb from your mouth or hear the sound of air blowing into carb. The flow should be restrictive and very small. We only want a small amount of fuel to flow (air to flow) at 1/5 throttle opening. This low end needle setting will get your engine running and may require further adjustment. THis is just a ball park setting.

Yes Phill that is correct - mine were plastic perforated balls about tennis ball size mounted on an ali rod about 150mm long. However what I used to do was to tie the heli (raptor 30), complete with blades, by the skids to my B&D workmate then lie underneath it and tweak the needle with the throttle at full chat - if anything let go it was always going to go up and away from me but I never had a problem doing that.