Century Evolution 180

Capt Kremen

A (8 year old) 'Century Evolution 180 SE' electric heli has been passed around various club members and is now in my hands for 'evaluation' = (sorting-out!).

It is in perfect, undamaged condition as far as I can see. (From a deceased flier who, alas, had never got around to fly it by the looks of things).

Searching the web I note it is a 'badged' Walkera product. It comes with a dedicated 2.4 Tx (Walkera WK-2403). First off, the manual is poor and written in Chingleese. The (conventional) bind process as described in the manual i.e. Tx on then connect Rx battery, does not work. However, the unusual procedure of connect Rx LiPo first then switch on, whilst simultaneously HOLDING a right stick full left or right input, sets the bind process in process and after a few seconds a successful bind IS achieved. I puzzled over this and thought, are you sure that's correct?!? But now numerous binds later, it is!

I've achieved 1 - 2 min flights in the confines of the garden with the occasional very light breeze. With a fully charged LiPo, initial hops are fair to OK though control response is marginal particularly in pitch(elevator), it being reluctant to fly forward with full right stick 'down' input. (Mode 2 Throttle / Rudder Left set-up).

OK I am a novice heli pilot and I dare say this is an old/less accurate model compared with current more sophisticated types. Are there any heli pilots who have owned/flown this model? Can shed some light on potential trimming improvements? Pilots notes? The Tx seems restricted in that servo travel is either 100% or 50% and no sub trim to increase throws either.

Thanks for any assistance.

There have been quite a few of these in use in my Friday Heli club over the years. Differing brand names. Cannot remember the bind process now . All flew the same in the village hall . Controllable in small tx movements . Not enough authority outside in any breeze . Responsive enough to learn on and then go CP ! Colin