Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA

Posted by Cuban8 on 24/05/2019 07:34:01:

If you just hover about below the height of your garden's trees, bushes etc or even lower than the chimney pots of your house...........surely that can't be a problem?

You would think not. I would hope full size aircraft would not be flying lower than roof height!

However, as the law stands, this would still be illegal.

Posted by Steve J on 24/05/2019 11:18:30:..................

and the (awful) answer by Jesse Norman:

"Department for Transport Ministers and officials have regular discussions with the CAA, including on the Drone Operator Registration Scheme and competency testing requirements, which will apply from November 2019. These will apply to all unmanned aircraft below 250g, including drones and model aircraft.

Edited By Steve J on 24/05/2019 11:19:32

Good to see they have a firm grip on their own policy!

Dick

In practical terms, it is manageable to fly within an Airports FRZ, it just takes a bit of work to draft an agreement with the airport/airfield. Admittedly, much easier for a club than an individual and it must be noted that permission can be refused- it entirely depends upon the risk and location of the model/drone flying in relation to the transitional surfaces for the airports runway and any defined approaches or departure routes.

To quantify, my day job is as the Operations Director/ accountable manager of an airport that serves both business jets and GA ( about 35,000 movements per year and as much as 180 per day in the summer). For a hobby I fly full size aerobatic aircraft and fly RC scale models. I frequently give permission for drones to be used for filming some of our tenant businesses and we have a long established model flying club within our ATZ. Indeed, before we open, I have been known to test fly a new model before flying at my normal club (although admittedly I haven’t flown at the club since late last year due to work)

Regulation and draconian policy is with thing, practical risk management by those held accountable is another- it’s not all doom and gloom.

Posted by Steve J on 25/05/2019 08:04:00:

Alberto Costa MP's written question has now been answered by the government.

Steve

I had exactly the same reply in response to my letter to my MP, which he 'passed up the line' to the DfT.

It seems that the DfT and CAA are seeing things differently at the moment, looking at the published responses in this thread. I do think the whole thing is being driven (policy wise) by the Government and the CAA are having to think things up 'on the hoof' at the moment.surprise

Kim

Posted by Steve J on 25/05/2019 14:43:25:

I don't see any differences between the DfT and CAA and the CAA have known that SUA registration was coming for at least two and a half years.

Steve

I can't do multiple quotes, but as far as I can see, the o/p in this thread, and the letter from the DfT seem to be at odds with regard to registration through the BMFA.

Or perhaps I'm misreading something?

Kim

Just had this sent to me today from the "Drones team" within the Department for Transport. Still sounds if they believe their hair brain scheme is efficient and enforceable, and they appear to rule out any mass enrollment / exemptions for members of the various flying associations ...

Thank you for your email of 9 May 2019 about the proposed registration scheme for drone users. I am responding to you as a member of the Drones Team at the Department for Transport. I appreciate your concerns. I would like to reassure you that I do support your hobby and recognise the strong safety culture fostered by the majority of model aircraft flyers and clubs.

The drone registration scheme is a top priority for the Government. It is just one measure in a package to address the safety and security challenges unmanned aircraft pose and will help enforcement agencies to tackle the misuse of such aircraft, alongside further Police powers to be introduced in the forthcoming Drones Bill.

Registration and testing are also European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) requirements as part of the forthcoming regulation on the operation of unmanned aircrafts (UAs) in the EU. The new Minister for Aviation is keen to ensure that all our key partners in the aviation industry that may be impacted by new policy or regulations are consulted. As well as the consultation my Department carried out in 2018 on a range of measures including registration, the Civil Aviation Authority’s (CAA) consultation on its charging regime for the drone registration scheme is important in shaping the development of the registration system charging structure.

Notwithstanding that, the principle that the Government set out in our January consultation response still stands. Any alternative approach for model flyers must be achieved without imposing undue burden on the state and the taxpayer, whilst also being efficient and enforceable, without compromising the integrity of the policy. A blanket exemption from registration and competency tests or having the associations register their members into the registration system, as suggested in many of the consultation responses submitted by model fliers, will not meet these criteria.

I understand that, prior to its charging consultation, the CAA has engaged with a broad range of users, including a significant number of model flyers (both at association level and individuals) during the user requirement phase and that model flyers will be involved in subsequent phases of development. The Minister has recently written to Dave Phipps, Chief Executive of the BMFA, to address some of your concerns and to suggest that he meets with the CAA for a demonstration of the system, which is in its development phase. She has also offered to meet him to discuss the BMFA’s concerns and how they can work together to make sure we retain and strengthen the UK’s strong aviation safety record.

I hope that this goes some way to addressing your concerns.

Yours sincerely The Drones Team Department for Transport

Edited By conrad taggart on 28/05/2019 15:23:36

I'd be very surprised if any exemption or mass registration was on the cards, the chance of that has been approximately zero for some time.

I'm simply hopeful the cost to us for the scheme, when it arrives, will be moderated. Ideally it would not be a "user pays" type deal, but I suspect we're way too late, now that the never erring government have already commissioned and (over)paid Flashy McWebsites Inc. for it.

Posted by conrad taggart on 28/05/2019 15:22:42

Notwithstanding that, the principle that the Government set out in our January consultation response still stands. Any alternative approach for model flyers must be achieved without imposing undue burden on the state and the taxpayer, whilst also being efficient and enforceable, without compromising the integrity of the policy.

Edited By conrad taggart on 28/05/2019 15:23:36

Just highlighted this paragraph. If a lot of flyers refuse to register because of cost or out of principle, how will this then be efficient and enforced ?

One thing I don't understand is the paragraph 'Any alternative approach for model flyers must be achieved without imposing undue burden on the state and the taxpayer, whilst also being efficient and enforceable, without compromising the integrity of the policy. A blanket exemption from registration and competency tests or having the associations register their members into the registration system, as suggested in many of the consultation responses submitted by model fliers, will not meet these criteria.'

I have seen this quoted many times but nowhere have I seen an explanation of why the criteria will not be met. The BMFA, and other associations, have offered the CAA access to their databases, which is obviously much less that the burden being imposed by the new system; it is efficient since it is only one registration process not two, and it is enforceable simply through checking whether a pilot is registered and the UAV has a registration number. If not, then it's the nick for you m'lad.

So what's the problem??

Edited By Colin Bernard on 28/05/2019 16:19:39

Exactly .... The statement you quote does not suggest that the current database or current competancy of BMFA pilots with A's or B's etc would be unnacceptable.

The BMFA might have to introduce re-testing/currency at some point to fulfill the CAA's requirements though .....

Lets hope it all pans out in a way that allows our hobby/sport/pastime (delete as appropriate) continues and is allowed to flourish.

Just switched on my cynical mode after I read this.

'The drone registration scheme is a top priority for the Government.' That would account for our failure to leave the EU on the 29th March, too busy dreaming up a drone registration systemsmiley AND

' Any alternative approach for model flyers must be achieved without imposing undue burden on the state and the taxpayer, whilst also being efficient and enforceable, without compromising the integrity of the policy.'

So HS2 and other vanity projects aren't going to impose an undue burden on the state and taxpayer then?

Finally got a response back from letter #2 to my MP:

"Thank you for your email to Bill Esterson MP. He has asked me to contact you to say he is currently making enquiries with regards the issues you have raised and will respond in due course."

Lets see what he comes back with.

Still nothing from the CAA or the Red Barron....