Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA

I did a freedom of information request to the DFT 4 weeks ago, and just got some answers as follows:

Question 1:

I would like to know how many people contacted Charlotte Vere with concerns about the upcoming drone/model aircraft registration scheme.

Answer:

We have estimated that the cost of complying with your request would exceed £600. Section 12 of the Act does not oblige the Department to comply with requests that exceed this limit, and we are therefore refusing your request.

angry Words fail me. Most likely they don't want to answer this, or cannot because all emails just get deleted.

Question 2:

I would also like to know how many of those people raised an official complaint after failing to get an answer from Charlotte Vere.

Answer:

I can confirm that this information is held by the Department for Transport. On the date of your enquiry, there were no maladministration complaints in relation to failing to get an answer from Baroness Vere.

no This is a complete lie - I alone have raised several complaints - where have they gone? angry

Question 3:

I would like to know how many accidents, injuries and deaths were recorded in the UK last year as a result of model aircraft flying (model aircraft only please - not drones)

Answer:

I can confirm that this information is held by the Air Accident Investigation Branch. There were such no accidents, injuries or deaths recorded in the UK last year as a result of unmanned aircraft flying. Unmanned aircraft include model aircraft.

smiley That's what we already knew!

Our emails to the CAA and the DFT count for nothing. Our complaints are just being swept under the carpet. It's an utter disgrace!

Edited By Jason-I on 07/08/2019 17:59:31

I think it was in one of the other threads covering this that I suggested giving the new minister a month to get his legs under the desk before contacting him - directly or indirectly.

I don't suppose the proposed drone legislation will be at the top of his priority list!

Having said that, he is an aviation enthusiast - he has his own 'plane and a PPL - and did send a letter (published by the BMFA) to the previous minister "requesting justification for the inclusion of the Model Flying community in this draconian system." **LINK**

(Look about half way down the page).

Perhaps something to get your MP to raise with him when they return from the recess?

--

Pete

In reply, I would give him at least to the 14th, and even then, only a nudge to confirm receipt of the original exchange, I think.

Even though an aviation enthusiast, he is a politition, and is on holiday, knowing that a catastrophe, sorry crisis, is coming, with the usual 20 hour days.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest response from the DfT to my questions about the registration scheme:

Thank you for your email of 11th September. The Department has nothing further to the answers to your questions it has provided to date. The Department is working with the Civil Aviation Authority to finalise the registration service. The deadline for registration is 30th November 2019 and although there has been a minor delay to the launch of the service, we expect it to go live shortly.

This despite the fact that they have NOT answered a single one of my questions....