An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project

In June 2020 the Power Scale Soaring Association are planning to stage another ‘Mass Build’ flying event following the success and popularity of previous builds with the Jet Provost, the Skyhawk and most recently the Hurricane.

Once again the Association would like to invite you to take part!

We hope to get as many participants building simultaneously from 1st November 2019 and over the Winter months - with the aim of flying the new models at a ‘Fly for Fun’ event upon the Great Orme, Llandudno in June 2020 (exact weekend yet to be decided). For anyone wanting to take part who’s not currently a PSSA member, drop me a line at [email protected] and join us, Association membership is FREE!

Our latest project is focused on a new plan drawn by PSSA members Martin Gay and Gordon Studley, the North American F-86 Sabre. Spanning 43.5” with a target flying weight of 4lb, this 1/10th scale vintage jet is a conventionally built-up PSS model for 2 to 4 channel R/C.

edit1024forumimg_7607.jpg

The prototype (pictured above) has been fully flight tested and refined over the past few months and the comprehensive set of plans are now available to purchase directly from Martin and Gordon through G&M Models. In addition, they have also just released a CNC short kit of birch ply and balsa shaped parts specifically for our use.

My sincere thanks go to Martin and Gordon for their dedicated efforts and drive throughout the design and development phase of this exciting new PSS model!

The CNC short kit contains over 100 pre-shaped birch ply and balsa parts needed to complete the model, as with previous designs there is additional balsa sheeting and strip stock required to finish the airframe ready for covering.

plans sheet forum.jpg

G&M Models can offer builders taking part the 2 sheet plan for £16.00 plus postage, or a combined set of CNC parts and the plan for £70.00 plus postage. Orders can be placed from August 1st by sending an email confirming your requirements to the PSSA – contact us at [email protected] with your details and G&M models will be in touch to confirm your order! Canopies can be ordered direct from Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms for just £8.00 (canopy order reference CN3)

We’d like building to commence from 1st November 2019 - so there’s plenty of time to purchase your short kit and ready the workshop! Obviously, you can make a start anytime but we’re keen to get folk building simultaneously allowing the sharing of ideas, knacks and lessons learnt via build blogs in this dedicated www.modelflying.co.uk forum section, aiding other modellers whilst they are at a similar stage of the build. In that light, I’d invite all Mass Build participants to create their own blog to cover your individual Sabre build journeys!

edit1024forumimg.jpg

Building from the plan is straight forward (especially so with the use of the CNC parts!) so starting in November will give even the slowest of builders plenty of time to be flight ready for the event in June 2020. For those completely new to PSS or building from plans we encourage you to have a go, this really is one of the main drivers of our Mass Build activity! There will be loads of help along the way from others taking part on the forum – this is a great opportunity to learn some new skills and create a scale model of your own to be proud of! We see it as an exciting and fun way for us to promote Power Scale Soaring, whilst getting more of our members building, learning or coaching.

edit1024forumimg_8060.jpg

At the PSSA Fly-in in June, the Sabres will be assembled on The Great Orme for the first time and flown in a number of type specific ‘display’ slots. As in previous years, we’ll offer prizes for the Best Finished model, Best PSSA newcomer, Best Scale/Innovative feature and so on… It should certainly deliver another spectacle to remember up on the Orme and produce a unique ‘Fly for Fun’ event. Many thanks once again to PSSA member Bob Jennings for our fantastic Sabre Mass Build event logo!

If you would like to take part in the PSSA Sabre Mass Build Project please do let me know, email me at [email protected] to register your participation and / or place an order for the short kit and plans!

edit1024forumimgsabre2.jpg

I do hope you can join us and take an active part in this project - and like me, you are eagerly looking forward to the mass gathering of North American F-86 Sabres next Summer!

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 11/07/2019 07:28:38:

Flyer is there any (inadvertent commas) >>.......indoor gold spraying involved ?

Not indoor anymore blush That lesson well and truly learnt. Have now worked out a better plan wink. Have acquired a 'proper' airbrush, so will be looking at any chance to practice techniques.

As for the colour..........wait and see cheeky

Phil - for the benefit of those of us who can't resist changing things and doing one of the early versions (i.e. meddling), is the design based on the later "solid" 6-3 wing with a small wing fence (which could easily have been left off to keep things simple), or is it the original wing with slats?

I suspect the latter, but would rather not make the assumption.

Andy

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 12/07/2019 17:08:27

Andy - I have asked Martin (as designer) to confirm for us here, but the panel lines lovingly applied by Gordon to the prototype model in the photos above would appear to accurately reflect the 4-panel slatted L/E of the earlier design.

I'll come clean and state I had never appreciated so much development had ever gone into the Sabre wing and that there were indeed 2 different plan forms!

embarrassed The shame...

Posted by Phil Cooke on 13/07/2019 07:50:05:

Andy - I have asked Martin (as designer) to confirm for us here, but the panel lines lovingly applied by Gordon to the prototype model in the photos above would appear to accurately reflect the 4-panel slatted L/E of the earlier design.

I'll come clean and state I had never appreciated so much development had ever gone into the Sabre wing and that there were indeed 2 different plan forms!

embarrassed The shame...

Sorry, it's just that I want to do an F86A so wasn't sure how much work was involved. If it's the early slatted LE then that would be great, just leaves the chisel-profile windscreen, smaller stabiliser fairing and separate elevators, all of which looks do-able.

The only problem I forsee is that a November start will conflict with my Indoor Scale FF Nats entries for next year; I'll just have to learn how to build quicker!

A.

P.S. - Good reference for the wings, MK1

Phil,

Shame on you for not knowing there were two wing versions of the Sabre - you are in "good" company as neither Gordon, or I, knew there was a difference! embarrassed

If we had known then this model would have been designed with the 6-3 wing and a slightly lower wind loading.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...