An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project

Posted by Steve Houghton on 09/10/2019 15:44:47:
”...Aren't these a bit thick...”

Steve, I doubt this will bring any further enlightenment to the subject, but... my wife, friends, colleagues, they all ask that same question about my powers of insight, analysis, and action.

🤣

LIFE boresighting

Photo c/o LIFE magazine archives.

Edited By John H. Rood on 09/10/2019 19:00:03

Martin,

Thanks for the confirmation. I may go down a size, so watch out for my wobbly tailplane!

John, Great piccie!

No insight claimed - just a bad case of thinking I know more than I do! The designers always know better, according to Peter Miller's plan building article in the latest RCM&E special. As for action - I haven't finished my Hurricane mass build yet, so my powers are sadly lacking.

Hi Phil - you mean - where can you better determine the colourscheme?? I'm sure a search in Google for Frecce F-86 colours will quickly turn that up - its bound to be well modelled in plastic over the years.

The underside can be deferred from your image above, in that the entirety of the wing and tail panels are Green/White/Red as per the Italian flag!

My 64+ years-old prostate collaborated with a 20+ years orange tabby cat to wake me up at 0300-odd something hours this morning so I made the mistake of picking up my phone and here was this new post from California’s Planes of Fame museum!

Instagram.POF.jog

Caution: Viewing may cause loss of sleep and increased passion for the 2020 Mass Build!

Tigger - I don't think having a couple of repeat schemes on show really matters - especially so with formation aerobatic display teams - makes for a great photo! - just make sure you know which tail number each of you is doing and you'll have a bespoke aircraft!

All of our Mass Builds to date have produced duplicate schemes but it really matters not - no two models are identical!

finished model pair.jpg

skyhawk duo.jpg

Just ONE WEEK to go until our official Mass Build gets underway 1st November!!

The date for our mass build Fly-In on the Orme has been finalised at 13/14th June 2020.

We have well over 70 kits and plans distributed in readiness! Huge congrats and thanks to Martin and Gordon for all their help and dedication in getting us to this position!

forumormeoct193.jpg

Plenty of impressive schemes to choose from for the Sabre - but who's up for a conversion challenge??

We all love a 2 seater variant - I didn't even know there was a twin stick Sabre but look what I've found over lunch today - only 2 ever made apparently the project being shelved in favour of the twin seat F-100 in the end.

880px-naa_tf-86_transonic_trainer.jpg

There's other mods including a taller fin and longer tail strake to accommodate the extra nose length - who's up for it?? 'More glass, more class!'

Posted by Phil Cooke on 28/10/2019 12:53:15:

Plenty of impressive schemes to choose from for the Sabre - but who's up for a conversion challenge??

We all love a 2 seater variant - I didn't even know there was a twin stick Sabre but look what I've found over lunch today - only 2 ever made apparently the project being shelved in favour of the twin seat F-100 in the end.

880px-naa_tf-86_transonic_trainer.jpg

There's other mods including a taller fin and longer tail strake to accommodate the extra nose length - who's up for it?? 'More glass, more class!'

Shhhhh Phil......... or they'll all want to do that.........

There may well be variants already planned.......... angel

IT'S ALMOST TIME TO COMMENCE BUILDING!

We launched the 2020 Mass Build some time back now with the F-86 Sabre short kits, plans and canopies being made available to purchase from 1st August. Well, the time has arrived to formally commence the build phase of the project as planned on 1st November!

plans sheet forum.jpg

Before we go any further I wanted to say a huge ‘Thank-you’ to Martin and Gordon who, under the guise of G&M Models have designed, manufactured, packaged and distributed more than 70 plan and woodpacks to modellers all over the planet! We really have created a global event, with Sabres being built in France, Germany, Belgium, Iceland, USA, Argentina, Japan and Australia! A huge thank-you must also go to Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms who has tailored a new plug specifically for our project and has distributed clear, vac-formed canopies to the same destinations! Brilliant stuff guys – our event wouldn’t work without your dedicated time, efforts and good will – sincerely many thanks from us all!

f-86 sabre forum dated black.jpg

Having initially only stated event timings as ‘June 2020’, giving a 7 month build window throughout the Winter and beyond, we can now confirm the Mass Build Fly-In will take place 13th/14th June 2020 at the Great Orme in Llandudno. The formal competition element will be run on whichever date has the best flying conditions forecast so please plan ahead for a 2 day attendance. If the forecasts are similar both days then the Sunday will be the competition day by default. More on all that in 7 months time… ON WITH THE BUILDING!

As you’ve no doubt seen there is already a good number of model specific build threads started on the forum in readiness, with folks claiming their chosen Sabre scheme. It certainly looks like we’re going to be treated to a full spectrum of colourschemes from airforces around the world. If you are building a model but have not yet created your own blog, do please try to do so – it’s a great way to share your journey and show off your tips and modifications, and it helps generate a superb sense of association and community ahead of the event!

edit1024forumimg.jpg

So with that, there’s not much more for me to say for now, lets get the next phase of this project underway! It’s time to prepare a clean building board and fit a new blade to the scalpel handle!

Enjoy your individual builds and the group journey between now and June - It should all gel to form a memorable soaring event next Summer!

Hi David, I'm sure others will pitch in here - but the short answer is - new year would not be too late, and of course you would be welcome to join in, at any time that works best for you. So I would definitely say - join in when you can and enjoy the build.

In addition it sounds like you have a close family connection to the F-86, so that's a great reason in itself to build one!

Edited By Harry Twist on 05/11/2019 22:39:30