Flyer's F86 Sabre

Posted by Martin Gay on 04/06/2020 21:52:57:

Very nice Ade. What do I owe you for canopies and postage?

Will find out cost of postage Martin, and let yah know. I 'may' need the stl files of the drop tanks...… wink

Will pm you tmrw

Cheers

Ade

Posted by Steve Houghton on 04/06/2020 23:36:57:

Brilliant finish on that plug, Ade. I've seen cars in the showroom that aren't that smooth. Great job.

Did you pull the moulding, or use a vacuum rig?

One of my clients has a 8' by 4' Vacc forming machine. He's looking at advertising it's use once he's got the hang of it. I have a smaller machine, but the plug is nearly 50cm, so needed the larger machine. Problem is at the moment that there is no PETG available as everyone is making surgical masks with them, and he's been told that suppliers are taking orders now for supply in March 2021!

It should look ok from casual looks.

cheers

Ade

Posted by Steve Houghton on 05/06/2020 08:50:17:

Thanks Ade,

It's useful to have a contact like that. I'm still moving on slowly with my Zlin 526 in the background, and will need to form my own canopy, so I'm interested in everyone's approaches as it's something I've never done.

It's quite easy Steve, I use mdf strips glued together to give the width. I then marked out the profile shape and plan onto the blank. Cut and plane waste off, then used an electric file to get the basic shape. This is the worse part. Once I'm happy I cover the blank with body filler (p38) and sand back. Then it's a case of car rattle can primer followed by hours of sand and fill. Prior to pulling the canopy I applied several coats of car wax, that seems to work well. There is something therapeutic about sanding a plug!

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade,

this is my second attempt to contact you. My first post appeared then disappeared.

"Eavesdropping" on your discussion about canopies -a 19" long canopy is mentioned. This is not the Sabre one is it? Have I joined part way through something?

I would be very grateful if you could let me have a canopy for the mass build Sabre to the length shown on Martins plan. Let me know how much and how you would like me to pay. Good of you to help me out of a bad situation.

Cheers,

Austin

Posted by Austin Massey 1 on 05/06/2020 14:52:41:

Hi Ade,

this is my second attempt to contact you. My first post appeared then disappeared.

"Eavesdropping" on your discussion about canopies -a 19" long canopy is mentioned. This is not the Sabre one is it? Have I joined part way through something?

I would be very grateful if you could let me have a canopy for the mass build Sabre to the length shown on Martins plan. Let me know how much and how you would like me to pay. Good of you to help me out of a bad situation.

Cheers,

Austin

the canopy above is for the TF86 Austin, as I am building two concurrently.

Cheers

Ade

Posted by Steve Houghton on 05/06/2020 20:05:56:

Ade,

Thanks for the insights. I'd never thought of using MDF. So far I have a balsa plug that I covered in P38, but found it unsandable so chipped it all off again.

Anyway, I don't want to divert your thread so congrats once again on a fine product.

No problem Steve, it's always a learning curve, and I have learnt so much from the sages on here. MDF also relatively cheap! (an no grain!)

Cheers

Ade

Posted by dirk tinck on 06/06/2020 00:16:56:

I can get you some pet g Ade as i have a1m wide roll in stock.

Cheers , Dirk

Many thanks for the offer Dirk, but I'm ok for the moment. I've got three TF86's from the last pull. And my client has a little left if I get short.

Many thanks

Cheers

Ade

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Austin Massey 1 on 17/06/2020 08:35:31:

Ade, canopy arrived, looks the biz, no excuses now, thanks very much.

Austin

Glad to hear it got to you Austin. Look forward to seeing your F86 take shape.

I've finally worked out a workable solution for the air brakes, so I can now glue the fuselage together. The TF86 will be so much easier now!

Cheers

Ade

• 1 month later...

Well........a man can Never, Ever not have enough clamps!

I've finally glued one fuselage together, and was glad I had so many clamps to assist. Progress should be a little quicker from now on, as I've spent so long trying to get the air brakes to function. I may leave them off the TF86 as that one will be a little heavier due to the longer fuselage and extra pilot.

We will see by the weekend whether I will risk it or not.

Cheers

Ade

frown

Posted by McG 6969 on 21/07/2020 21:02:55:

... pics, Ade... WE WANT PICTURES...

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Have dropped my iphone, so waiting to get it fixed. crying 2 Will take a few pics tomorrow night when I see how much of a banana I've built cheeky

Cheers

Ade

• 3 months later...